Uws (1 Viewer)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
i do a Bachelor of Business (Information Systems) and needed 80.00 to get in.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by Agnes
snobs perceive it to be where poor and stupid ppl live (a prejudice that snobs would never admit to)
I'm a snob (in attitude at least). I'm not ashamed of admitting that I perceive those football-loving members of the lower class as {Insert personal insult involving the word 'exoteric' somewhere}.

Quite. #8D

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
According to the Good Universities Guide (which I purchased for a rip off price of $22) "the best rated campuses, year in year out are the small ones, where it is easy to meet up staff members and to feel at home. On the other hand small campuses don't have the buzz, the energy, the endless events, opportunities and options of the big ones. The worst rated courses, year in year out, are some of the courses students most want to get into."

Then it lists some very depressing statistics for the quality of teaching at NSW and Sydney, depending on subject area. Does anyone want specific examples?

Of course, UWS is a hole.

To illustrate this, here is a map of Macarthur

Macarthur || UWS
....Square ||

Macarthur ^ Station

that's it. There's nothing there. UWS is like half of Macarthur.

Last edited:

lizzies85

UWS is one of the best unis for teaching and the best for like acting and performance stuff!!! while i dont have uws is one of my lowest preferences, it is because it doesnt offer the course that i want to do! all you snobs from the inner city and stuff really need to lower your noses bocause it is just as good as sydney and unsw, the lecturers at unsw and sydney all seemed like pompous d!cks who were more interested in telling you how wonderful the university was than saying what hte course was like and why it was good!!!!

herbsby

Hey, the only reason why UWS doesn't have such a good rep is coz it's one of the newer ones. It's aim was to allow those in the western suburbs a closer uni that was more 'practical'. Uni's like sydney are based on really really old courses, that havent really changed, yet when UWS started, they wanted it to be more practical - thus to ensure the students actually learn what they need to know, rather than doing heaps and heaps of irrelevant theory that egotistical academics like to teach! ... although at any uni you've gotta stuff u'll never need agin, just like skool...
yeh you can go to one of the most expensive private highschools in sydney - but is that gonna guarentee you a higher UAI than someone like me who went to a public school - of course not. Yeh, at a private skool they can expel you for smoking, and make you wear your uniform all prissy, and give you afternoon detentions, but it still wont give you a higher UAI. Just like at uni, you're not gonna be a better lawyer if you go to sydney/NSW uni than if you go to UWS or Canberra uni...
It's just that coz of the whole 'traditional' attitude everyone has, UNSW and SYdney have such a good rep. But also, if youve noticed, the UAI's for UWS have come up heaps! and they're not giving away as many points anymore - because more ppl are interested in their uni. So give it a while, and ppl will realise it churns out just as many good academics as any other uni, they just wont have such a haughty demeanour thats all!
And UWS is great for ppl like me who dont like to work to hard....but still wanna do law...and keep telling themselves they'll actually work at uni ey! So there's some good in everything ey!
:)

HSC
Originally posted by user
According to the Good Universities Guide (which I purchased for a rip off price of $22)
Um.... a bit off topic
But is that good uni guide available at newsagents or is a book or something?

Cherries

Personally i had no intention of going to UWS. My whole schooling career i have been adament that i would never go there.

Turns out that they are the only ones that offer the course i want, they are local and therefore easy to get to and a lot less expensive.(to do law at Macquarie is close to $10,000 a semester UWS is only $6,000 a semester)

So even tho its not what i wanted 7 of my 9 preferences were for UWS.

user

HSC
Originally posted by mercurydrinker

Um.... a bit off topic
But is that good uni guide available at newsagents or is a book or something?
It's a book and it's at the newsagents
I wouldn't go buy it though
It didn't really help me
Made me more confused and scared

Maybe you can post what stuff you want to look at and I'll scan it or something.

http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/

user

HSC
Originally posted by lizzies85
UWS is one of the best unis for teaching and the best for like acting and performance stuff!!! while i dont have uws is one of my lowest preferences, it is because it doesnt offer the course that i want to do! all you snobs from the inner city and stuff really need to lower your noses bocause it is just as good as sydney and unsw, the lecturers at unsw and sydney all seemed like pompous d!cks who were more interested in telling you how wonderful the university was than saying what hte course was like and why it was good!!!!
But isn't it the reputation of the university that employers look at? It's the same with high schools, we get told that we have to "uphold the tradition and values of our school", basically act like a private school (too bad we're not) because of the reputation of the school. Supposedly employers look at what school you go to, and it reflects highly upon you if that school has a good reputation.

Suppose you want to go overseas to work. UNSW and USYD are arguably the most well known universities of Australia. If you went overseas with a UWS degree, no one would have heard of it.

This may not be entirely fair, but it's the way the world works. Appearances vs Reality.

HSC

It's a book and it's at the newsagents
I wouldn't go buy it though
It didn't really help me
Made me more confused and scared

Maybe you can post what stuff you want to look at and I'll scan it or something.

http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/
Thanx that would be great....

These are all my preferences, so it would be great to find out what it thinks of my first few choices....

1 421006 Bachelor of Digital Media at University of New South Wales, College of Fine Arts
2 421002 Bachelor of Design at University of New South Wales, College of Fine Arts
3 601070 Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) at University of Technology, Sydney
4 511102 Bachelor of Design Computing at University of Sydney
5 423000 Bachelor of Architecture at University of New South Wales
6 422001 Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) at University of New South Wales
7 423003 Bachelor of Interior Architecture at University of New South Wales
8 511101 Bachelor of Design (Architecture/Urban Planning/Digital Media) at University of Sydney
9 511207 Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) at University of Sydney

user

HSC
um...be a little bit less specific...

that's what i mean by it's crap.

they don't say how good each individual course is
they just have the general field of study
separated into
accounting
agriculture
rchicture
built environment
business and management
comms
computing and IT
creative arts
dentistry
eco
education and training
engineering and technology
environmental studies
health services and support
humanities and social science
languages
law
maths
medicine
nursing
paralegal studies
[harmacy
psychology
rehabiliation
scienes
social work
sports and leisure
surveying
tourim and hospitality
vet science

HSC
um...be a little bit less specific...

that's what i mean by it's crap.

they don't say how good each individual course is
they just have the general field of study
separated into
accounting
agriculture
rchicture
built environment
business and management
comms
computing and IT
creative arts
dentistry
eco
education and training
engineering and technology
environmental studies
health services and support
humanities and social science
languages
law
maths
medicine
nursing
paralegal studies
[harmacy
psychology
rehabiliation
scienes
social work
sports and leisure
surveying
tourim and hospitality
vet science
damn that sux
I'll go architecure, creative arts, communications and build environment then...

sorry for the trouble and thanx :)

user

HSC
Not sure if this is what ur after, but here's creative arts

Attachments

user

HSC
Communications

Attachments

Last edited:

user

HSC
And back to the topic,
here's UWS

:D there is such a thing as good spamming!

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)