Values in FrankenBlade. (1 Viewer)

asdfqwerty

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm writing my essay for F/BR and one of the paragraph is about responsibility of creator to creation. Just wondering how I can link responsibility to the values of Shelley's and Ridley's time? My teacher said value=/= responsibility when I had 'the value of responsibility is presented....' or something along the line as my topic sentence in my first draft.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone,

I'm writing my essay for F/BR and one of the paragraph is about responsibility of creator to creation. Just wondering how I can link responsibility to the values of Shelley's and Ridley's time? My teacher said value=/= responsibility when I had 'the value of responsibility is presented....' or something along the line as my topic sentence in my first draft.

Frankenstein and Blade Runner explore the same issues examining similar values. What did people consider important during the Romanticist era ? They valued the rejuvenating capacity of the sublime nature voicing its importance. It is evident in Frankenstein the emotions of the characters mirrors the world that encompasses them. For example “sought the magnificence, the eternity of these scenes, to forget myself and my ephemeral, because human, sorrows” clearly impact on Victors mood. In Blade Runner there is no nature, society is disconnected. Other values can be love, family, friendship...

In Blade Runner Tyrell exploits his creations and in Frankenstein Victor abandons the creature. Basically both creations (replicants and the creature) Blade Runner and Frankenstein are mistreated by their creators. The creators in both text fails to be responsible.

The lack of responsibility of the creators reflects humanity's lack of responsibility to address its social issues (industrialization, capitalism, environmental depletion etc.)

Responsibility is a value or maybe im wrong...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Try: "the notion of responsibility". Or 'theme of responsibility'. Your teacher is being picky.

If you're gonna run with this notion of responsibility, in Shelley's context, it was perceived that everyone had a responsibility to obey the natural order of things, and not try to usurp God. This pervading theme is also apparent in Scott's context, where people have a responsibility to all those around them, not to be greedy, and care for the greater good.

oyuck

HSC
In Shelley's Romanticist era, the value upheld by the people was the natural order, that God was all powerful; very Christian context. Hence Victor Frankenstein was irresponsible in unleashing his creation which defied this natural order.

In Scott's 1980s America, the value upheld by the people was greed and profit. Scott is making the message that this is irresponsible; it would lead to this post-apocalyptic world he has created which is highly undesirable.

Linking the two, both texts show that a Creator's irresponsibility has far -reaching consequences no matter what context.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)