Vanilla Bsc (geology)- how much maths? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

Not much luck in the other thread, I'll be more specific.

No geology program I have seen explicitly requires any maths, physics, chem or bio. However, my intuition is that in the case that you wanted to actually work as a geologist wouldn't these be essential?

I'm already doing finance and economics, I only really have room for the very basic science major (want to do it at undergrad), if I can squeeze in any electives which should it be?

I was thinking basic chemistry > maths > physics >bio.

Got told that a geologist is pretty useless if they don't know inorganic & physical chem + instrumental analysis.

*I may just want the geo degree for knowledge and work on the financial side of the resources industry, but hey I want to keep options open.

LordPc

HSC
"No geology program I have seen explicitly requires any maths, physics, chem or bio. However, my intuition is that in the case that you wanted to actually work as a geologist wouldn't these be essential?"

if you finished a geology program and were unqualified to work as a geologist, the program would be of very poor quality. they would certainly teach you all of the stuff you need to know

but if you do have electives your initial order looks good
chemistry > maths > physics >bio

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
"No geology program I have seen explicitly requires any maths, physics, chem or bio. However, my intuition is that in the case that you wanted to actually work as a geologist wouldn't these be essential?"

if you finished a geology program and were unqualified to work as a geologist, the program would be of very poor quality. they would certainly teach you all of the stuff you need to know

but if you do have electives your initial order looks good
chemistry > maths > physics >bio
Yea was thinking similar things, but I definitely think chemistry is a must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)