Vegetarian/Vegan male body building/toning. (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
soy milk has a high level of protein

theres a bodybuider who comes into work allt he time and he always gets his drinks on soy (i dont think hes vegan tho)

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Just Click It said:
Before I officially start this msg, I want to ask the sane reader to ignore all the people that will inevetably (sp?) flame me on this thread just because of the title. Saying that, I've heard all the arguments and comments against being vegetarianism and their colourful adjectives, and I've never been impressed. If you are thinking of flaming or arguing that I MUST for what I believe (lets not go into that) is full of shit, do yourself a favour and don't waste your time.

Hey! This is aimed at the vegetarians/vegans out there (I'm a vegan)... people with a good working knowledge of what to eat for muscle gain, etc.

I've been recently putting on a bit of muscle, though I'm becoming greedy and I want more! What I've been doing is going on an approximatly 3 - 1 month cycle - e.g. 3 months of relativly high protein diet and 1 month of a relativly high fat diet (though no where near the amount a health freak omni eats though... haha!) I've done this from the fact that you need fat to gain muscle, but you also need protein to build the muscle in the first place. Am I doing the right thing by this? Right now, I have about 1-1.5 more milimetres of fat on my stomach then usual (I usually have next to nothing)... and in the coming weeks am aiming to get rid of that by upping my protein and eating less fat.

Seconly, though still related to the above paragraph, I've been having a regular sized spoon of linseed oil with whatever food (breakfast, lunch or dinner) raw... that is, not heated up. 60% of that is either Omega 3 or Omega 6. My question is... should that be enough oil (aka fat) to last me the whole day, or should I cut down on that kind of consumption (I also drink the so good with all the vitamins, minerals and good fats in it (5 essential thingy... it has a purple covering)) even when I am on my fat part of the cycle.

Anyone wanna take bets on how many insults I get before I get a decent answer? I reakon 7-8 posts...
You don't have to eat meat to put on muscle, but you do have to consume a hell of a lot more food. This due to make up of meat vs veggies.

My real question is how long have you've be working out? measurements, hight, weight, body fat etc.? and training regime? I just want to try and gauge what sort of work your body is doing? Because for me, I can't niether afford nor actively consume enough food on a veggie diet to provide enough energy for me. I get tired and my thinking gets all cloudy.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sleep gives your body time to rest, recuperate, repair and rebuild muscle mass. Though you should consume a slow release protein like cassein (in cottage cheese, and yes Iknow this is out for this guy) to stop your body cannibalising muscle mass for amino acids.

I think soy milk has roughly the same ammount of protein as normal milk (I may be wrong), one reason bodybuilders use it is to give a wider mix of proteins in their diet eg a protein shake made with milk has basically whey (milk) proteins in it whereas one made with soy milk has soy and whey proteins which gives a more diverse range of BCAAs.

Also I find soy milk to be lighter than normal milk so they may be drinking it because of that, eg whey protein+normal milk can sit abit heavy.

Just Click It

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Why are you a vegan?
Hahah... you really don't want to know. :) Basically (very basically) it's to do with animal welfare.

Oddy Nocki said:
My real question is how long have you've be working out? measurements, hight, weight, body fat etc.? and training regime? I just want to try and gauge what sort of work your body is doing? Because for me, I can't niether afford nor actively consume enough food on a veggie diet to provide enough energy for me. I get tired and my thinking gets all cloudy.
(While I've been vegie... that is, for 2 1/2 years ) I've been doing excercises every night for the past year and a half. I've also done a strenuous sport for the past 2 1/2 years (either soccer or waterpolo which I do training/competition 3 times a week). I weigh 61 kilograms... and I'd estimate my body-fat content to be around 5-7% (comparing it to other people's estimates). I've become a lot more energised since I've been veggie btw.

loquasagacious, correct. Except I've found that soy milk has .1 - .2 grams more protein than regular.

loquasagacious said:
Hypertrophy is right, it makes no sense to be cycling between fat and protein you should be getting a constant source of nutriets if you want to build muscle.

Linseed/flax oil (you may want to take this before bed to avert horrendous farting during the day...).
Hahaha! I've never had this problem (the linseed). Maybe I'm used to it... you know... coming from a boarding school where all manners are flung out the window. Alright with the cycling. It's what the muscle heads at school used to do. It was working for me, but I'll try it your way.

P.S thanks for your support Malfoy :) But don't argue about the subject with people who might take "but soy milk is good for you" as "stop eating meat!"

Just Click It

HSC
Oddy Nocki said:
Because for me, I can't niether afford nor actively consume enough food on a veggie diet to provide enough energy for me. I get tired and my thinking gets all cloudy.
If you're interested... I could help you try? Veggie food CAN be expensive I do agree... though if you know where to look, it can be as cheap as a poor-man's meat (e.g. Chinese imported peanuts 500 grams sell for $3.20) I make $35 - $40 last me the whole week for food (I'm living away from home)

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Just Click It said:
(While I've been vegie... that is, for 2 1/2 years ) I've been doing excercises every night for the past year and a half. I've also done a strenuous sport for the past 2 1/2 years (either soccer or waterpolo which I do training/competition 3 times a week). I weigh 61 kilograms... and I'd estimate my body-fat content to be around 5-7% (comparing it to other people's estimates). I've become a lot more energised since I've been veggie btw.
This means fuck all unless you tell me your height. Plus what sort of exercises; weights, (how much) body weight, cardio. What? I need times and shit like that. Also the sort of diet you're eating (meals, quanity etc.). I'm just trying to establish your energy requirment and needs.

Just Click It said:
If you're interested... I could help you try? Veggie food CAN be expensive I do agree... though if you know where to look, it can be as cheap as a poor-man's meat (e.g. Chinese imported peanuts 500 grams sell for $3.20) I make $35 - $40 last me the whole week for food (I'm living away from home)
I don't see how? Unless you want to send me money. Yeah, you can help me try.

The problem with stuff like that is the I'd have to eat that entire packet to get about half of the nutrients then I can from meat. I don't care if I eat meat or not, I'm more interested in performance vs am,out of food I require.

SO if you can design some sort of 3700 to 4200 calorie diet that includes all amnio chains and vitamins and minerals and no meat that's cheap then maybe I try it. For a little background I train about 10 hrs a week plus a couple seasions of strength training, two sessions of conditioning (core work), plus maybe a quick work out heree and there where I can fit it.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
ogm someones a vegan, everyone step away k.

haha KIDDING but as someone else said before me, soy milk is fantastic for protien, apparently. i don't know because i cant drink it, the kinda floury smell puts me off. But I have to make stuff with it all the time at work.

I'd say go into a nutritionist and ask for further advice, they'd be much more helpful.

Just Click It

HSC
Pilgrim said:
Haha, You're a vegan, so no matter how much muscle you gain, you will still be a pussy.
Haha! Rawr!! :D

haha KIDDING but as someone else said before me, soy milk is fantastic for protien, apparently. i don't know because i cant drink it, the kinda floury smell puts me off. But I have to make stuff with it all the time at work.
floury smell? I used to HATE it. It took me a while to get used to, but it's kk now. It tastes like regular milk (from what I remember of it)... so haha.

This means fuck all unless you tell me your height. Plus what sort of exercises; weights, (how much) body weight, cardio. What? I need times and shit like that. Also the sort of diet you're eating (meals, quanity etc.). I'm just trying to establish your energy requirment and needs.
I'll have to get back to you on that.

markz

HSC
Well if you're interested in building muscle as a vergetarian your main issue will be protein quality.

Vegetables/grains alone won't have much in the way of stimulating protein synthesis, but combining a variety of sources (such as lentils, broccoli, some nuts) in 1 meal will go a long way in improving the protein quality of that meal. Basically mix and match

Also do not rely too much on soy - while a complete protein it still has an extremely low about of L-Leucine, the amino acid most important for building muscle.

How do you feel about protein powders? Milk is also a good source of protein though I didn't read the thread so I don't know if that acceptable for you.

alec153

HSC
hey fellow vegan
although im not really interested in working out n all i thought id do a bit of research for yah. Heres some good sites
www.veganfitness.net/, www.veganbodybuilding.com/ and
www.veganforum.com/forums/index.php is always good for any q's on anything (not really body building, but im sure more than one person their does it, great forums)

transcendent said:
I'm so tempted, so really am... :mad:
VEGAN! ARGH!
ure so tempted??? wat to tell us wat were doin wrong?? Do u feel the need to put down others ways of life or justify ure own?

Malfoy said:
Bad: Living off nothing but baked beans and hot chips.
hmm ure rite there, it really bugs me when someone tells me that i cant eat something, even though they have no idea wats in it, some people believe im just continually eatin salad though i eat pretty well, had thai red curry n gelato last nite mmmm

Casmira said:
vegan people are generally very thin the ones i know
i dont think theirs any uniform weight, ive seen em all shapes n sizes, though they do tend to be in a more healthy weight range.

loquasagacious said:
I think soy milk has roughly the same ammount of protein as normal milk (I may be wrong
yeh i find tht usually soy milk has the same amount of protein as cow milk, but with a cheaper brand of cow milk having more, and a more expensive brand having less. This is because the consumption of milk is reported to increase the risk of bone fractures, due to animal protein's effect on intensifying urinary calcium excretion. It is because of this that milk may in fact contribute to osteoporosis, rather than preventing it as is commonly thought
such as stated here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16766781 and here
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16088096&dopt=Abstract and here
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9497187&dopt=Abstract

Oddy Nocki said:
The problem with stuff like that is the I'd have to eat that entire packet to get about half of the nutrients then I can from meat. I don't care if I eat meat or not, I'm more interested in performance vs am,out of food I require.
SO if you can design some sort of 3700 to 4200 calorie diet that includes all amnio chains and vitamins and minerals and no meat that's cheap then maybe I try it.
I think ull find that a lot of vegetables have ruffly the same amounts of nutrients found in meat, sometimes more as in the case of tofu, soybeans etc
the only problem is tht when we eat them, our absorbtion rate is lower than tht of meat. This can be solved by cooking with vitamin c, which triples the absorbtion rate, bringing it up to or more than the rate in meat

Lentils, tofu, chickpeas and Quinoa are all cheap and protein-rich and can be made tasty and varied with lots of veg, spices, herbs and serving methods. With chickpeas u can make hummus n falafel (on a kebab with tabuli is geat), salads, and moroccan casseroles. Lentils in Indian daahl served with rice. Tofu can be cheap if it is bought in a chinese supermarket (still cheaper than most meat if bought from supermarket though) and then all you needto do is bake or fry with some tasty sauces and its great. Quinoa is balanced protein and very digestible, with growing popularity in the health industry so easier to get and cheap. Usually used in the place of couscous, pasta or rice.
Chuck in sum more nuts and beans, and ure good to go. (websites above provide more and better info)

hope tht helped have fun
p.s. this video and links mite give sum insight into the reasons why he is a vegan http://www.goveg.com/veganism.asp and http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=live_transport3&Player=wm&speed=_med

PatG

HSC
I have a special protein shake that I make - for non-vegans.

2 x egg whites
2 x whole eggs
4 x teaspoons of milo
4 x teaspoons of protein powder
500mL of milk

Contains well over 60g of protein.

Also on the topic of supplements, I would recommend that anyone thinking of taking creatin avoid it until its been tested properly. Apparently it does a bit of damage to your kidneys as it causes you to go to the toilet more.

markz

HSC
PatG said:
I have a special protein shake that I make - for non-vegans.

2 x egg whites
2 x whole eggs
4 x teaspoons of milo
4 x teaspoons of protein powder
500mL of milk

Contains well over 60g of protein.

Also on the topic of supplements, I would recommend that anyone thinking of taking creatin avoid it until its been tested properly. Apparently it does a bit of damage to your kidneys as it causes you to go to the toilet more.
Your shake has way to much protein in it for just 1 meal (unless your well over 110kg...)

Also creatine monohydrate (the most commong form) is THE most studied supplement in the world and none have concluded anything wrong with it.

Damage to kidneys is false unless you already had pre-existing conditions..creatinine (What your kidney's actually filter) is very easily dissolved in urine and is not toxic.

The pissing more just comes from the increased hydration you need when taking creatine. So naturally you will (or at least should) drink more water.

with that said creatine is overated lol.

PatG

HSC
So my PE teacher was bullshitting me about the creatin

As for the protein shake I'm not exactly sure how much protein is in it, I just got recommended it by a mate who's into bodybuilding. It may have more it may have less. Aren't you supposed to have your weight in grams of protein each day i.e. you weigh 90kg so you need at least 90g of protein each day.

Plus anyway, any excess protein gets pissed out.

dddman

Banned
HSC
PatG said:
So my PE teacher was bullshitting me about the creatin

bs the shit works, one month i gained 3cm on my chest on month and then when i started using it i gained 8cms on the next. the gym lad was like WTF???? he noticed they were growing but he didnt notice it by that much

it depends to person to person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)