• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Very worried about current performance (1 Viewer)

the_runic

HSC
This year isn't going particularly great. I'm not failing any of my classes, but my rankings and results aren't exactly spectacular (my highest exam percentage in the half-yearlies was 88 and my lowest was 67). I don't know if I'm going to get the ATAR I want to go to my preferred university, which is UNSW. I don't even know if my results are good enough for early entry to UOW, which I really don't want to go to. UNSW doesn't even offer an early entry program. But that's for the future.

Right now, I've got my History Extension project, a speech and an essay for Ancient History, and I'll be getting a research project for Senior Science this week. I also have a lot of study notes I need to catch up on for these three subjects, plus I have to find related material for English Advanced and Extension. My History Extension project is due next month or something and I've only written a few paragraphs, I haven't even started my Ancient assignments (and one of them is due in over two weeks), and I can't see how I can begin to catch up on my study notes. I also have two tests coming up. Point is, it's all getting to be far too much and I don't know what to do. I'm just sort of... flailing around. Time management has never been my strongest point, but... Help?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well here's what I suggest you to do:
1) Stop worrying about whether you are going to get in or not because worrying helps nobody, you are just wasting your time
2) Set up a plan on how you are going to finish everything on time (do bits each day)-PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!
3) Stick to the plan as if your future depended on it (it kind of does by the way you are saying it)
4) You might want to consider either buying study notes for all those subjects you don't have enough time to do/find study notes for these subjects online/through friends
5) Remember to prioritise, spend more time working on more important things, spend more time working on things due the earliest-You need to exercise some self-discipline and stop procrastinating (this no one can help but yourself)
6)Get off BOS and get to it.

the_runic

HSC
I wish it was that easy. I just feel so completely paralysed and I'm at the point where I just want to throw in the towel. I don't feel like I have a prayer of succeeding at this point, and I can't find literally anything to motivate me. I feel like it's far too late.

Flop21

HSC
You should be able to get early entry into UOW if you apply. Please do, UOW is a decent uni and everyone that goes there seems to love it, it'll be an amazing back up if you somehow stuff up the HSC and get an ATAR not high enough for any entry.

Those are not awful marks, not sure what you're so worried about. Bring them up slightly and you're golden. If you are worried, check out rawmarks.info see what you think you might get raw, then check out the aligned mark, plug them into an ATAR calculator. This way you can work out what marks you should be aiming for.

Good luck.

Flop21

HSC
I wish it was that easy. I just feel so completely paralysed and I'm at the point where I just want to throw in the towel. I don't feel like I have a prayer of succeeding at this point, and I can't find literally anything to motivate me. I feel like it's far too late.
I didn't do anything until just after trials. But at that point I really did study hard right up until my last exam and got into UNSW. It's definitely not too late.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Its okay to be overwhelmed by work.
In fact, I am as of right now, smaller tasks such as updating my notes and doing past papers alongside with my short term focus on internal assessments is not getting done at the most productive rate.

And its okay to freeze up from time to time or to work at a slower pace.

I do not know what you want to do in university or how your scores are specifically for each subject, however a range of 67 - 88 is not too bad if the course you're interested it isn't a crazy 99.95 ATAR + you got bonus points (make sure to check that out as well).

For me, reality sunk into me when I submitted my marks and ranks for an ATAR estimate by this community (I also heard that this community is quite good at it) and I had an idea of where I was standing and if I could reach my goal. I recommend you try this method. It might kick you into doing work if the ATAR estimates you get are too low, or borderline close to the requirements of your course.

In addition, you also need the typical and cliche advice of making sure you have some exercise, regular but not too long outings with friends for food etc to maintain your sanity.

the_runic

HSC
I don't know. I have a talent for failing at things. Failed to get into OC classes, failed to get into a selective high school. Probably will fail at this and probably will fail at early entry for UOW. My marks can't be good enough for that.

Silky_Smooth

HSC
I don't know. I have a talent for failing at things. Failed to get into OC classes, failed to get into a selective high school. Probably will fail at this and probably will fail at early entry for UOW. My marks can't be good enough for that.
Seriously you can't afford to be thinking like this. Your past doesn't define your future, so you can still do this!!! Get to work and smash out your current and future assessments and I'm sure you'll be well on your way to achieving your goals. STAY POSITIVE!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If I had followed your logic-I wouldn't have gotten anywhere in life, for your interest, I myself FAILED to get into OC, FAILED to get into a selective high school, and in fact, I was put in the ESL English class in a non-selective school because my English really was that bad-and yet eventually I pulled through with a 99.20 ATAR. The moral of story is-you define your own life-if you are defeated by your own attitude, no amount of advice will save you-why give up when you can persist? You can do it-it is a matter of whether you are willing to believe and commit to it. Anything that is worth fighting for it NOT going to be easy. If you give up now-you will regret it-I promise you that much.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
I know the feels dude, but you have to move past it. Think positive, try to smash other people's expectations of you, including yourself. Right now worrying about your long-term future is not helping at this point. Think right here right now, and steps to do your best at the work that needs to be done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)