Vet Science & Transfer Courses (1 Viewer)

greMlin72

Green Zombie
HSC
HELP!
I really want to get into Vet Science (& CS looks the best bet) and establish myself into large animal veterinary. I don't think i'm going to get the marks to gain a direct enterance, what transfer courses are there? and from experience (or knowledge) does anyone know how easy it is to transfer, and the best or parallel courses similar to the first year Vet?

I was told Equine Studies can be a transfer course, and although i have alot of experience with horses, if i can't transfer from the ES course, it is not a career i'm looking at.

Any Info on, courses, interviews, UMAT, experiences or anything will be helpful!
cheers

Ancient History
Advanced English
Advanced Maths
Agriculture
Biology
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English

Aim: 98

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
none of the similar animal degrees have subjects in common, your best bet is prep if your eligable, or work your arse off...

Emma_Kate

HSC
Hey!

If you are desperate to do vet, as crazybrad said your best option is to study like crazy this year! However, not everyone can get the 98 that you need to get in, so if you don't i know a few people who have done a year of an animal science or agriculture degree and then transfered over to vet science and were able to gain credit for 3 out of 4 subjects (basically means that they only have to do one subject in first yr vet). - However I also know some people who weren't able to and are now stuck in their degree (just something to keep in mind!)

However don't think you won't get in first off, I thought I wouldn't get the marks (I'm a 1st yr vet student at James Cook University) but I worked hard and got in (and I didn't get the 98 that everyone assumes you need!). CSU and JCU both require an application process which places more emphasis on your application than just purely on your marks. So if you do well in both you should be able to get it!

If you want to work with large animals than a rural vet course is definatly the way to go, I've been study for 5 weeks and we've already done all the large animal anatomy!

I wish you luck and if you want to know more, just post here or pm me!

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
greMlin72 said:
What's prep? + thanks
principles report entry program. if your in a rural area ouside of sydney, newie and woolongong you should be eligable, you get an early round offer after you write an essay and stuff, i dont no if they do it for vet but see your careers adviser if u think you could be eligable as the applications will come around sooner than u think (after triAL hsc).

greMlin72

Green Zombie
HSC
crazybrad said:
principles report entry program. if your in a rural area ouside of sydney, newie and woolongong you should be eligable, you get an early round offer after you write an essay and stuff, i dont no if they do it for vet but see your careers adviser if u think you could be eligable as the applications will come around sooner than u think (after triAL hsc).
Damn. Unfortunately i'm not a rural resident.. cheers mate and thanx for the info! it's appreciated!

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
i think they have more of a tendency to get rural students as well (at csu)

Emma_Kate

HSC
From what I hear James Cook is a little like CSU (both have focus on rural and large animals - however this is only prominant as they are both in rural areas hence have better access to cattle etc, where as the uni's in the city have better access to dogs etc. But in the end we all have to do pretty much the same thing)

James Cook vet science is in its 2nd yr this yr - and its already really developed and have a full new anatomy and pathology lab just for veterinary. However James Cook has had a postgraduate veterinary faculty since about 1970 so only the undergraduate course is new.

The university itself is really nice, and its not too small, but not huge (compared to big uni's like sydney uni). The vet sience course only has about 74 students in each year so far so its a nice ammount of people to have. And as for your interest in large animals, JCU would definatly be the place for you!

Townsville is really nice too and there is heaps to do, so its not like moving to a rural town - and all the colleges and halls are good, but John Flynn College is the best (I swear I'm not biased towards my college lol).

Having said that I'm sure CSU is also great and really nice, but I guess it just depends on where you get into in the end?

I wish you luck with yr 12 - my year was a complete bitch, with a lot of hard work but also lots of fun so remember to enjoy it too!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)