Vet (1 Viewer)

Peteage

HSC
Hey I was thinking of doing the tafe "nursing studies" course next year, pretty much the course is done at the St George hospital where i would attend the educational ward for lectures and then the rest of the time im pretty much a nurse intern. This will mean I get a flexible 7 UAI points for nursing and am excluded from a couple of assignments and all the hospital practical work in my first year of uni.

However this will mean I am going to have to leave school all the time and miss out on periods so i can go to the hospital to do the vet cause, this will mean I will have to catch up on all my missed work and hope to learn it. Another this is it wont go towards my UAI which means all my other subjects will count regardless of how I achieve.

I'd like to here suggestions from anyone who has done a vet cause or has strong opinions towards them.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think VET courses are wonderful if you have a very clear and definite idea of what you want to do in the future as they can contribute credit to certain courses in TAFE and university. However I do not believe they provide the same generalised research and presentation skills that non-VET courses do.

So in my opinion, this is a fantastic opportunity to follow up on were you to be definite that you wished to Nursing at uni/TAFE. If however you are unsure, then perhaps it is not the best idea.

James747

HSC
Absolutely agree with kami. They are great and, according to my careers advisor, increase your chances of employment in that field. They are also recognised by many organisations (employers!).

Peteage

HSC
James747 said:
Absolutely agree with kami. They are great and, according to my careers advisor, increase your chances of employment in that field. They are also recognised by many organisations (employers!).
Hmm perhaps not with the nursing one however because u need a university degree. No ones going to say after 4 years of uni, Wow you did a vet course in yr 11 and 12 kudos to you, your employed.

Perhaps that may be the case if your planning to go to tafe and be a carpenter when you’ve don’t the vet course already.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Peteage said:
Hmm perhaps not with the nursing one however because u need a university degree. No ones going to say after 4 years of uni, Wow you did a vet course in yr 11 and 12 kudos to you, your employed.
Nursing degrees at uni are normally 3 years and become reduced to 2 years if you have a certificate 4 in nursing - which some TVETs will offer. Nursing also does not require a university degree - many of the nurses who work only have the certificate.:)

Peteage

HSC
Well yea true three years, whatever. You cant get a certificate 4 from the vet course, to get certificate 4 u need to do 2 years full time at tafe/hospital work.

If you go to uni and instead to the certificate 4 course in nursing, you become an enrolled nurse (Nurses assistant). Where as the 3 yr uni course graduates you as a registered nurse.

What I was saying still applies, as far as getting employed goes i dont think the fact that you did a t-vet course in yr 11 and 12 will matter it will exclude you from some prack work and assignments in first year uni but in the end you come out with the same degree as everyone else.

However i'm sure that the fact that you did the vet course at Saint George hospital will mean the your then given preference when seeking to do prack work at hospital.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
The course you do in Year 11 and 12 does not qualify you as an Enrolled Nurse, it qualifies you as an AIN. It's a cert III and very basic. It will, however, give you higher standing if you wish to take the Cert IV path to nursing.

Cert IV is a 12 month course, and very compeditive to get into. It's easier to get into Uni for the 3 year bachelor degree which qualifies you as an RN than it is to get into the TEN course. the application process takes about 2-3 months for the TENs.

Cert IV is 15 weeks at TAFE (broken into 2 blocks of 8 and 7 weeks respectivley) and 35 weeks working on the wards.

Enrolled Nurses aren't nurse assistants (That would be AINs - Assistants in Nursing), esspecially now that we have the Medical Endorsment and can give everything sans S8s.

If you do the 12 months, UTS will grant you entry into 2nd year, while Uow, UWS, CSU and ACU will grant you 12 months credit as long as you do a bridging course (about 10 weeks, one day a week), which fundamentally means you are paid for your first year of Uni, and getting a hell of alot of hands on experience and practice, while your Uni peers will accumulate a HECS debt and get maybe 4 weeks practical experience. Mreover, you can work as an EN for the remaining 2 years at Uni as an EEN while those who started Uni 1st year can only work as an AIN in casual pools, or nursing homes. And think of the tax breaks for "continuing education".

Oh, and Unis organise pracs, not you generally. The fact you've done the Vet course at St George won't have any standing as far as your pracs go. I think, however, if you do that course, they are favorable in offering scholarships and casual work.

If you have any questions about the TEN course, undergrad Uni or St George Hospital, feel free to PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)