Veterinary Science Commitment Form and STAT (1 Viewer)

choocochips

HSC
Hey guys,

I'll be sitting the HSC in 2014 with hopes of getting into vet science at USyd (preferably). I'm aware that in order to be considered I must get an ATAR around 97-98, get over 150/200 in the STAT test and fill out a commitment statement. However, I have some questions that I would grateful to have answered regarding the STAT and the commitment form. I know that some of my questions will not have exact answers, but I approximations would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

- How many hours/days of work experience should I be aiming for?
- *What qualifies as 'veterinary or other related establishments'?
- Would I be eligible for this course in 2015 if I sit the STAT that runs from November 2014 - January 2015?

*I am planning to do a few weeks (2-3) of work experience at a vet practice next year. However, most of the animal welfare organisations that I looked into had age restrictions for their volunteers and/or were situated in an area that would require me to travel for 1-2 hours with public transport. Because of this I was thinking of doing work experience at the local pet store, however, for one - my friend who did her work experience at the pet shop said that it mainly comprised of scrubbing out the cages, and secondly - I'm not even sure if it would be counted as work experience at a veterinary or other related establishment in the first place. I don't mind scrubbing out pet enclosures and cages, but assuming I'll be busy with my HSC next year, I wouldn't want to unnecessary time on something that wouldn't count towards my commitment form. If it doesn't count, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, if anyone knows the exact 2013 ATAR for Vet Science at USyd I'd love to hear it! :D

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Hi there,

I don't do vet but I'm kind of familiar with the procedures (I almost thought about applying once) plus I have a friend who does it. I actually did a little research and found out that it is changing to Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine starting 2014.

For the commitment statement, preferably you would want to get as much experience as you can. I assume you would have done some in Year 10 so you can definitely put that down. According to my friend, she put down 3 work experiences at the vet (year 10, some other time and the holidays after HSC) and she was accepted. Farm experience is favourable but you don't need to do it. So I think your 2-3 week work experience at a vet (plus a couple of more weeks maybe?) should be good.
If you are looking for other animal welfare organisations/places and live close to the south of Sydney or near Carlton, I recommend Sydney Dogs and Cats Home. They look after pets and believe in not euthanising them so they can hopefully be rehomed :) http://sydneydogsandcatshome.org/get-involved/volunteering/

In terms of *What qualifies as 'veterinary or other related establishments'?", I think they mean vets, farms or animal welfare organisations. IMO, I wouldn't classify your local pet store as one because it does not have much focus on animal welfare as a vet, farm or an animal welfare organisation would have. But if you do volunteer at an "establishment" such as a vet, you would probably scrub cages anyway haha but they would also more likely demonstrate to you how to treat animal patients which would be relevant to the degree you're aiming for.

I assume you would still be eligible but check with UAC just in case.

And I have no idea what the 2013 ATAR is.

Hope this helps! :D

Jewls

HSC
N/A
hopes of getting into vet science... I am planning to do a few weeks (2-3) of work experience at a vet practice next year.
This sounds like you are a bit unprepared for a veterinary career atm. It is best to get multiple weeks experience BEFORE deciding on a career in this field. The TV shows depict an entirely different view compared with the daily tasks of a veterinarian. It is a tough profession with euthanasias, people that don't want to pay for services, animals undergoing substandard care due to lack of funding/time, grinding hours prohibiting social/family events, a tough employment market and some of the lowest professional wages.

choocochips

HSC
This sounds like you are a bit unprepared for a veterinary career atm. It is best to get multiple weeks experience BEFORE deciding on a career in this field. The TV shows depict an entirely different view compared with the daily tasks of a veterinarian. It is a tough profession with euthanasias, people that don't want to pay for services, animals undergoing substandard care due to lack of funding/time, grinding hours prohibiting social/family events, a tough employment market and some of the lowest professional wages.
Hi Jewls,
Thanks for your reply! I understand that I may currently seem unprepared, but I hope to remedy that situation during the course of the upcoming year. However, I appreciate the insight you gave into the negative aspects of the course. I believe I still have a bit of time for work experience before making my final decision as to whether or not I will still be aiming for the course, so I'll try to use it to my advantage! :smile:

Thanks pokka! I found your reply very informative! Thank you! :D

Jessicaz2910

HSC
I got into the new bachelor veterinary biology/doctor of veterinary medicine this year. My experience was I sat the STAT between year 11 and year 12, volunteered and worked in a vet hospital for 3 years (but you absolutely don't need that long, most people do about 10-30 days), and received atar in the high 98s.

I assume you have had a look of the 2014 commitment statement, there are sections where you are needed to describe a "clinical" procedure you did in detail so if you work at the pet store, you may be limited in what you are able to do so you might want to consider other options.
good luck!

choocochips

HSC
Thank you! Your reply was extremely helpful for me :D Did you work at only one vet practice/vet related organisation for your work experience? Congratulations on your ATAR and entry into vet!

Last edited:

Jessicaz2910

HSC
No problem, glad i could help! yes i work at 1 vet but do different roles and occasionally just pop in to watch surgeries if im lucky to catch them. i would suggest ringing up your local vets and asking if you could help out - and go from there

liz2814

HSC
2013 atar was 96.45 or something around that :) It dropped in 2013

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)