Veterinary science commitment statement (1 Viewer)

mad-triste

HSC
Hey guys! I have a question about admittance to the University of Sydney's BVSc.

I have just finished a non-science degree at USyd with a fairly high D average (but not HD) and 200/200 on the STAT test. But I'm really worried that my application will fall down when it comes to my commitment statement.

So I wanted to know from any current USyd vet students how much and what type of experience they have? My big question is how much rural experience do you need, as I currently have none and am not sure where I can find some, as I have lived in the city all of my life and have no idea how the country works! I have ticked all the boxes for horses, birds, cats and dogs, but have nothing for cows, sheep and pigs and I'm worried that this will disadvantage me due to current vet school focus on producing rural vets.

Any help much appreciated!

Triste

mad-triste

HSC
Thanks so much man! That info from the vet faculty is really useful and gives me a lot of hope! I've heard so many conflicting reports - people keep telling me that getting 150/200 in the STAT is just a hurdle, but the vet faculty told me that you want to aim for at least 170/200 so clearly that's not the case.

Yes, I'm currently doing work at my local small animal vet, and I also have about 8 weeks at animal shelters and wildlife sanctuaries. Going to a farm sounds like a good idea. I was so focused on trying to get experience at a large animal vet that I forgot that I could just milk some cows at a dairy farm and tick the "milk a cow" boxes!

I just finished a Bachelor of Music at the Con. Not exactly science but it got me great marks (the Con seems to only give out Ds and HDs to its students). I'm currently working my way through the HSC chemistry syllabus and first year biology with the help of my med student partner.

Are you doing vet science or are you a 2012 hopeful too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)