Veterinary Science- Murdoch or uni of melbourne? (1 Viewer)

AdrianaMaria11

HSC
N/A
Hi all :)

Just after some advice...

I received an early offer of admission into Murdoch's veterinary course - which i readily accepted. However, today i received an offer from the University of Melbourne as well.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to what uni they think is best for vet.

I am located in perth and have a BSc (molecular biology/biomedical sciences) with honours and have veterinary related work experience, so i am hoping i will get exempt from the pre-vet year and some other units....

I would appreciate any advice at all :)

Cheers!

Kamal15

HSC
Go for melbourne
I went to a vet for work experience who actualli completed his degree there and he couldnt stop telling me how awesome it was. If what he said is anything to go by you'll have an awesome time !!!!!!

rx34

HSC
I definitely would advise you to go to Melbourne. I'm from Melbourne studying at Melbourne University. It's awesome. Firstly, do you have family in Perth or Melbourne, do you have to move out?

HSC
She's already in Perth.

I'm a Murdoch student, but I don't know much about Vet except that its pretty much what 80% of visitors wanted to know about at open day. Seeing as you already have a degree you WILL get exempted from Murdoch's pre-vet year (that only applies for school leavers).

Where did you do your undergrad?

AdrianaMaria11

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies, are any of you guys vet students?

Im in perth, but im not from here originally, so i would have to move which is kinda annoying because i just got a part time job working in research...on the upside im really over perth hehe

I did my BSc at Murdoch and my honours through the university of western australia.

I just want to enroll in the course that has the best practical component and will get the best international recognition after completion. I have worked in the veterinary anatomy department of murdoch and i know they use greyhound dogs as cadavers in anatomy etc but dont know anything about the pracs/labs at uni of melbourne.

Murdoch was actually the first vet course to get AVMA approval in australia but the uni of melb is a lot more higly regarded on an international scale...

rx34

HSC
Hey Adriana, I'm not a vet student. The reason why I asked you whether you have family in Perth was because it would be the main influential factor as to whether you move interstate or not. Since you do not have any or if you want to move out, take the plunge and move to Melbourne :) (i'm biased). It's an awesome city! Maybe ask the science forum or melbourne forum for more information about the vet science course. Good luck hun.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Hi,
I just finished Vet at USyd. My understanding from talking to students / graduates of the unis is that both Melb and Murdoch are good courses, and both well respected.
But that there are limited jobs in WA and an oversupply of vets to the state.

I've heard that Murdoch has a lot of fancy fake-animals (like, high tech plastic models) for practicing things like rectal palpation in cows, and I know Melbourne is in the midst of changing to having the whole final year out in practices like USyd.

I would look at both course outlines and see which has the most time spent in practices, particularly in the final 2 years.

At Usyd we spend the whole of 5th year out in practices - no lectures at all, all practical. this is the model melbourne is changing to at the moment. Not sure about Murdoch. And we had to do about 18 weeks in 1st-3rd year on farms / zoos etc getting animal husbandry experience.

Also, not sure about Murdoch, but at Melbourne the course is split between the Parkville and Werribee campuses - so you may need to move house over the course of the degree, or spend a bit of time travelling.

In terms of exemptions, I'm not sure of the exact course structure at either uni, but at USyd, it sounds like you'd get exemptions from things like Chemistry, Cell biology, possibly genetics and biometry, and probably not much else - because at Usyd they dumped a lot of the "general science" type subjects in favour of vet specific subjects to save on time to fit in more prac work. So check this with both uni's too, because it would be frustrating to have to repeat more subjects than absolutely neceessary.

A degree from either uni will be well respected in Aus and overseas, and you'll still be a step ahead of students from CSU, JCU and the new one at flinders (?) who have yet to establish reputations for their graduates.

At my work we have graduates from USyd, Melb, England and Murdoch, and all are equally capable vets, there's no real deficits in anyones knowlege.

Tough choice, but either way you'll be just as qualified, and I think capability is dependant as much on personal factors as the institution you attend.

Good luck!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
ps - being the first uni to be AVMA accredited means nothing really, USyd is now accredited and I think Melb is well on the way, so by the time you graduate, that will be a non-issue as all the big uni's will be accredited.

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
i have just finished a degree too (melb uni) and got into vet at Melbourne too! come to melbourne! i moved here from sydney:
best.decision.ever.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I did pre-vet at Murdoch in 2009, but due to personal reasons, I have transferred back into Usyd vet for 2010. I would have loved to stay in Murdoch, as it has the best vet school in Australia. You graduate with B Science (Veterinary Biology) and B Veterinary Medicine and Surgery. In Melbourne/Sydney, you graduate with B Veterinary Science.

From what I've heard from many people, the Murdoch vet school is the best in Australia. Of course, I cannot prove it, as not one single University would admit inferiority.

I'm also quite familiar with the Murdoch University course structure, and I have to say - it's quite impressive. They've got their own Vet hospital and farm. Murdoch is the biggest (yes, biggest) university campus in Australia, and this is because they have the biggest farmlands. I won't say that a bigger farm means a better school, but at least it's an obvious advantage that the other universities lack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)