Veterinary Science ! (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
hey, i'm planning on doing veterinary science at usyd, is there anyone currently taking the course at usyd who may please tell me:

1) what studying vet is like ?
2) what topics are involved ?
3) how hard is it ? how difficult are the exams ?
4) what is the environment like for studying vet at usyd?

And, what are the job prospects of a vet ? what are the pros/cons of being a vet ?

I love animals. . i just need to know more about the course, thanks =]

steer-rider

HSC
Have you done work experience at a local vet at all? Don't worry about asking, they are pleased for a voluntary slave, err..., I mean, enthusiastic helper. I did it, and it really opened my eyes to what being a vet is about.
That is why I am studying ag. science instead...
And difficulty? The UAI is 98+ to get in, in fact, most transfer over from something like ag. science or animal science. Job wise, in the country if you know your large animals, they would love you!! The expertise to deal with bovines gynacology is especially lacking. If you want to more about the course, check out the student hand book and faculty website at http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/.

Hope you get in and I get to see you next year (don't worry, I am not a big a dickhead as my name suggests!)

Last edited:

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
konkzz said:
hey, i'm planning on doing veterinary science at usyd, is there anyone currently taking the course at usyd who may please tell me:

1) what studying vet is like ?
2) what topics are involved ?
3) how hard is it ? how difficult are the exams ?
4) what is the environment like for studying vet at usyd?

And, what are the job prospects of a vet ? what are the pros/cons of being a vet ?

I love animals. . i just need to know more about the course, thanks =]
i love it. but there is hard work involved.

1.) full on, to put it succinctly. lots of pracs and hours! such things like dissection of greyhounds you have be able to handle. first year you have to learn all the muscles, veins and arteries to be able to identify them in prac exams.

2.) i found first year subjects cell biology and chemistry very tedious and boring, however the rest were fine (seemed relevant and interesting). You can find subject descriptions over the web, just search the subject names in google.

3.) it's a challenge, especially the anatomy and physiology components. for the exams you've got to remember you dont need over 90 like in hsc. 75% is a very high mark -> distinction. You do get a few people failing (getting under 50% for the course). overall though its not ridiculous like everyone makes it out to be.

4.) the environment is one the reasons i love it so much. they have frequent faculty parties with unlimited alcohol for a small entry price, where everybody seems to get loose and have a great time. you make great friendships too, because you all do the same subjects so its not like other courses where you make few friends.

Main cons include low wage as a new graduate, and difficult clients.
Main pro is that you're doing what you want to do, and whats better than that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)