Vice Chancellors Leadership Scholarship (1 Viewer)

Joga Bonito

HSC
Is anyone here going for it? how many people get it, and is there anyone here who has received it, what do they look for?

kateemily

HSC
Is anyone here going for it? how many people get it, and is there anyone here who has received it, what do they look for?
i went for it.

i was wondering how many ppl get it as well. a girl i used 2 go 2 school with got it, and i think a guy in the grade above me got it, althought im not positive, but hes definately in the aspire program.

they r looking for everything they asked u about. your leadership skills and ur willing to lead others. that put into practice should equal community service, because a leader isnt just someone that is titles, but still gets out there and does stuff. they arent merely there to delegate and be in charge. im assuming u applied so goodluck!

Joga Bonito

HSC
thanks, and you too, appraently theres about 5 given out...hmm i wish there were more
if you dont mind me asking, how did you certify your certificates and things? because a JP did mine, and he signed it and put his rego number, but he didnt write his telephone number, address or any of that other stuff tht the applciation form tells you to do...im just hoping thats not a problem

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i went for it too =D.

i've got a pretty good section on the community service one.
though i was like ' i can't describe to you my 18 years in existence in the space of 10 lines, please consider me for an interview where i may give you more of an informed insight' for the personnel statement.

seriously, how can you fit that in 10 lines?

so now im just paranoid they'd bin it before they read the other parts lawl.
and yeah i got mine done by a JP as well.

at first i went to the cop station and there were only probationary constables, or constables there.
there were like 7 cops in there, and they were all just chatting around.
they were kind enough to give me directions to the downing center where there's always a JP apparently.

it was interesting what directions they gave me though.

'do you know the hungry jacks down the road? do you know the shark hotel? club v? '
'vaguely'
'well go along there and you'll see the downing..'
'oh yeah i know where that is'

the JP put his stamp.
i told him to read over page 4 of the application to make sure it's all good,
and he just wrote his phone number as well

kateemily

HSC
i went to commonwealthnk and got the manager 2 do it, she was so lovely.

yeh got an email yesterday saying that i didnt get the VC's scholarship but then said 'as you are aware though, you have a uws academic excellence scholarship which is still valid' and that was the first id heard of me getting a scholarship. but heck, got an interview for aspire

5 is such a small number 2 giv out! considering they give 150 academic excellence ones. and dw i thought my application was good, espec for leadership. good enough 4 aspire interview but not for VC scholarship :( not that im depressed about $5k a year

ATARded

HSC
When are the Aspire interviews held?

And has anyone else received an invitation?

atm1991

HSC
i went for it.

i was wondering how many ppl get it as well. a girl i used 2 go 2 school with got it, and i think a guy in the grade above me got it, althought im not positive, but hes definately in the aspire program.

they r looking for everything they asked u about. your leadership skills and ur willing to lead others. that put into practice should equal community service, because a leader isnt just someone that is titles, but still gets out there and does stuff. they arent merely there to delegate and be in charge. im assuming u applied so goodluck!
Best of luck Kate, haha I was roaming bored of studies as always and said hey I recognise that sig :)

kartika

HSC
I applied for it too, on the 13th of Jan and got an email the next day informing me that i was successful and have an interview :D was just curious if any of you have had the same reply? because I was a little shocked by it and how quick it was.

yeh got an email yesterday saying that i didnt get the VC's scholarship but then said 'as you are aware though, you have a uws academic excellence scholarship which is still valid' and that was the first id heard of me getting a scholarship. but heck, got an interview for aspire
is the academic scholarship the one that you're automatically in the running for if you get a ATAR of 90 and above? and was that seriously the first you've heard of getting it? because I haven't really heard anything about it either..

kateemily

HSC
When are the Aspire interviews held?

And has anyone else received an invitation?
just gotta say 'ATARded' is THE best name ive ever heard. kudos ;)
im not sure exactly but mine is on the 22nd

Best of luck Kate, haha I was roaming bored of studies as always and said hey I recognise that sig :)
thanks :) if it isnt the first in state or advanced nursing that gives it away, im afraid i will have lost faith in humanities intelligence once again. i drove past ur house lst nite, incase u wanted 2 no

VC already??

it hasnt even closed yet (i thought they close on friday?)
Im not sure how they do it at all. but it is interview based as well, so they can let applicants know if they are certain its the kind of person they are after. no doubt they will still be sending emails today once the final applications are recieved though

kateemily

HSC
is the academic scholarship the one that you're automatically in the running for if you get a ATAR of 90 and above? and was that seriously the first you've heard of getting it? because I haven't really heard anything about it either..
yeh its one of the ones without applications and 90+
i legit had not heard anything before that email when they assumed i knew, so im not sure if theyve screwed something up and sent it 2 the wrong person or what cos i didnt no prior to that at all. what was ur atar?

kartika

HSC
My ATAR was 90.. but it's odd that in your VC reply they let you know about it but in my VC reply they didn't.. I don't know if it's because I have an intervew and in the running for VC or not but yeah have no idea how they do it!!

lankmeister

HSC
I applied for it too, on the 13th of Jan and got an email the next day informing me that i was successful and have an interview :D was just curious if any of you have had the same reply? because I was a little shocked by it and how quick it was.

Yea, same here too - sent mine in on the 13th, and got offered an interview the next day. It'll be my first interview for anything...should be interesting!! My impression was that they invited people for an interview to Aspire based on the VC application - otherwise, how else would they know you? Unless they just sent out invites to the highest ATARs....By the sounds of it they hand out more than one - which can only be a good thing!!! :p Hope you rip it up in a positive way :p

kartika

HSC
oh wow congrats!! :)
hope you do well too, I have no idea what to expect from the interview hey! it's only short, like half an hour so I'm guessing they just want to suss out that your written app wasn't just all BS haha. I see you're taking a gap year? I wasnt sure if we could defer those particular scholarships.. I seriously havn't really looked into it all but it would be sweeet if we could !

lankmeister

HSC
Thanks! Yea, im not sure if they can be deferred either? But I made the fact that I was not going to be in the country pretty clear in the application, like i sent in the letter I got accepting me to New Zealand, and I said it in the personal statement thingy. Who knows hey? May as well give it a shot though ! Yea, I get the feeling they will probably ask you about the kind of things you did in leadership and service...pretty much what you said, suss you out. I'm sure you won't do yourself any harm if you come across as genuine to the people!

kartika

HSC
yeah definitely! well fingers crossed :D
p.s i'm shocked that you go to Macarthur Anglican, i go to Picton High!

lankmeister

HSC
ha! nice, not too far away at all! i drive past there some of the time, good spot picton is! small world though, hey? maybe ill see you some time. probably wouldn't realise it though :p

leannespeaks

HSC
Hey guys,

I see that youre all pining for VC scholarships and Aspire scholarships. ..

An Aspire scholar myself, I did not apply for VC last year. I got the generic Academic Excellence scholarship but then persistence led me to email the scholarship coordinator as the forms said that I have a shot for applying ASPIRE. I did not get a panel interview, just one on one with Jude Forder, the scholarship coordinator.I showed her all my community involvement , academic achievements and of course, receiving the MOST OUTSTANDING YEAR 11 scholarship.
Oddly enough, I got in to ASPIRE.....

and trust me, it was a brave and risky thing to do, telling her that I had a go for Aspire. But it was all worth it...all Im saying is that if you show to them that youre "different", proof of community involvements.. ( yes...more than one) but most of all the real deal that you passionately wish to make a difference ....they'll be impressed. By your posts, Im sure you'll all get in.

.Im not here to advertise LOL but I'll just say the blunt truth : getting a VC is great but being part of an ASPIRE leadership gives you the extra edge, more opportunities to interact and friendships with other scholars , important people in uni, business people, local community leaders and publicity LOL hahaha and those cocktail functions

wish you guys the best and hopefully see you all the ASPIRE CAMP : D

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
thanks for the heads up Leanne.

hmm im concerned though,
i sent the application thing in on the 13th too,
but i havnt received a rejection letter?
or a confirmation.

hmmm

Kate1991

HSC
Did you have to apply for aspire? i thought it was invitation only based on ATAR etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)