Video drama help (1 Viewer)

tanguyen

HSC
K... for my video drama, I'm using "Windows Movie Maker". Is that a sufficient enough program to do the editing because really that's the only program I know how to use and I've made a lil movie before with it and it didn't turn out too bad. I probably just answered my own question here but I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion here.

And how do you create "drama" in a comedy movie...

Thanks for the help!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
I wouldn't recommend using Windows Movie Maker but I don't really know much about editing programs, I used.. I can't even remember what I used. BUT if you feel comfortable with the program and you have used it before I don't see why you shouldnt use it. You would make a better movie with a program you are comfortable with anyway.

1cor13

HSC
My personal choice would be Pinnacle. I think that it is an amazing program with practically everything you'll need, from manually changing the contrast, brightness, blurriness, etc. I think it's an awesome program, but Windows Movie Maker is still a good way to go if you feel comfortable with it :)

tanguyen

HSC
Well yeh.. I've made up my mind to use Windows Movie Maker because basically... it'd be pretty dumb of me to just go onto a better program, "Pinnacle" as 1cor13 has suggested cuz I have to learn how to use it all. But yeah.. my idea right now is just a simple movie and I don't really need any really fancy effects like superimposing and all that. So yeh thanks!

gatesey

HSC
i'm using imovie which i definately recomend it is a pretty amazing with some brilliant effects (esp for adding drama) but i suggest sound is prob the best way to add drama it is amazing how it can turn a whole story around, esp if u juxtapose it by having really contradictory music running over the top of a scene, great to create satire and really effect the audience. goodluck with everything!:)

Meknoid

HSC
I know this might sound werid, but when is our Projects due in? my teacher is a natzi and i never know whether shes telling the truth or not, but she wants it fully edited and done by the 1st da Next Term.

And by the way i use Adobe Premier Pro 7.5 and Adobe After Affects :D
There is a VERY fine line between Comedy and Drama, some guy at NIDA told me the diffrence but i forgot what it was Q_Q
I think it was Irony or something like that.

1cor13

HSC
my drama teacher wants us to have our film completed by the end of the school holidays, only because the start of next term (term 2) we start out GP's... but overall the IP is due term 3 i think.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i didnt find out when mine was due for aaages, it was probably around this time or a bit after that our teacher spilled the beans... trust me, it's better not to have a date but a rough area of time, our whole class freaked out when we heard a date..

Get it finished early so there is ample time for changes in case something (touch wood it doesnt) goes wrong

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
I teach all my students how to use Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition (sound editing) and Adobe Photoshop (titles). These are some brilliant programs which allow you to do practically anything and everything.

Its good to stick with the program that you feel most comfortable with, however once you use something like Premiere you'll wonder what you did without it. Sooooo many more options.

I run video workshops which cover everything about making a video for the HSC. This includes scripting, storyboarding, shot composition, technical camera work, sound, lighting and editing.

If anyone needs a hand with their video, no matter what aspect. We can work out a workshop plan and get right onto making a brilliant video.

For more info visit my website or contact me directly for a personalised workshop plan.

Prices are $25 an hour, are 1 on 1 and completely personalised.

Christiaan Blok
'Writer's Blok Productions'
Web: http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/tutoring.htm
Email: writers_blok_productions@hotmail.comhttp://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/tutoring

tanguyen

HSC
Lol... and I thought there was only maths, english and the sciences tutoring around.

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm the only tutor catering for HSC Video students that I know of.

There's film colleges that offer very expensive courses that are very general in nature - mine are specifically geared towards HSC students.

My courses cover all aspects of creating a video for the HSC, from preliminary research & ideas to scripting, storyboarding, filming, production and editing. Students can choose to learn it all or just particular aspects of it.

If you would like a hand with any aspects of making your film, feel free to contact me and we'll work out a personalised lesson plan. I travel to students or they can come to me.

There's a bit more info about my services on my website http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/Tutoring.htm

and my email is writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com

Regards,

Christiaan Blok
'Writer's Blok Productions'
Web: www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions
Email: writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
tanguyen said:
K... for my video drama, I'm using "Windows Movie Maker". Is that a sufficient enough program to do the editing because really that's the only program I know how to use and I've made a lil movie before with it and it didn't turn out too bad. I probably just answered my own question here but I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion here.

And how do you create "drama" in a comedy movie...

Thanks for the help!
If you really want a good production, I suggest you stay away from Windows Movie Maker. The program is ridiculously trashy and low on features.

If your budget is suffice, may I suggest the following software:

Adobe Premier (basic video/audio track editing and compilation)
Adobe After Effects (particle effects, rotoscoping and basic special effects)
RealFlow (for fluid dynamics such as collisions and water)
3D Studio Max (any explosions, CG characters etc)
SynthEyes (3d motion camera tracking and stabiliser)
Massive (if you want a massive army in your movie like in Lord of the Rings )

By no means are the above software easy to use, they are complex, very complex in fact and often involves utilising heavy scripting languages to get effects right. If you are after a basic editing program on minimal budget, then go for Sony's Vegas.

otherwise, if you want to create an epic- with explosions, matte lighting, massive armies waging war, cinematic lighting, green screen, cg characters etc, then go for it.

tanguyen

HSC
Oh and I've encountered another little problem. I'm usng a DV camera and I've recorded all my scenes already. When you watch the video through the lil screen that comes with the camera, its all good, but when I plug the camera into the TV and play it through that, the images are a bit darker than usual, highlighting all the shadows so for some scenes, you can't even see the face on TV, even though you can see the face on the camera. Is there a way where I can fix this problem? Like can a professional fix it up for me? Are there even professionals out there who do this for a living?

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi TANGUYEN,

I edit videos for a living, but first an explanation of what your experiencing:

Remember, because the footage you shot on your camera is digital and it is then transferred to your computer digitally (firewire I gather?), the information is exactly the same I.E. the picture and sound on your camcorder is exactly the same as what is on your computer.

The trouble you are having is what many people experience - the difference in screens. There is a difference between your camcorder screen and the computer screen. Your computer screen could be set to darker whilst your camcorder screen is set to lighter.

Firstly, your camcorder screen should never be brightened - it should always be left at a standard / middle setting. This way you see what you are filming - not a falsely brightened image. Look in the manual to work out how to change the screen's brightness.

Secondly, your computer monitor should be set at a standard / normal setting. It should have some settings somewhere allowing your to put it in standard preset modes or reset it or something.

Thirdly, view the output image on your television in its standard brightness setting.

NOW. If this hasn't solved your problem, you can brighten images in most editing programs however do this with caution as the more you digitally brighten the image, the grainer the image gets.

The good news is that at least on one screen you can see the images properly - meaning that the information is there, it might just need some tweaking.

If you need a hand, I edit videos for a living and can help you out. I could do some of the fixing for you or even give you an intensive workshop into editing so you can do it yourself. My classes are particularly aimed at HSC video students. Contact me via email writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com if you feel you need a hand.

Good Luck,
Chris.

a.c

HSC
Hey cblok!

I am a student in year 12 and i have chosen video drama for my individual project. I don't really have any experience in creating movies, but i would like to learn as i find it interesting and it would help me with my photography major which will also be film. I was wondering if you could possibly help me as i have not really started yet and i really need the help because my drama teacher doesn't give me much help.

a.c

HSC
Also, i was wondering...do you think i have left it too late?

1cor13

HSC
In my opinion (just in how i've been going with my video drama) you really need to start the filming and get it done pretty quickly A.C. The reason for this being I filmed my video in the school holidays, have edited it and all with only a few things left to do in finalising my video, but it is really important to get some critical opinions from other people to help you touch up things, and the longer you hold it off the less time you have to make it perfect. If you're new to making films, by best advice in your situation is (if you dont already have one) to get your hands on a DV Camera, film your movie and edit it. If you're not too familiar with editing software, then use Windows Movie Maker to put the video on your computer and edit it. It's a very straightforward program to use, and it gets the job done. If you need any more help just ask, i'm more then happy to help out :)

opulent clown

HSC
pffft ive made movies in a day..
they are simple..
you just need the proper experience..
if you are stuggling with your production and post production for hsc..
give this ago..

get a hobby, an active one. (skate/surf/etc)
film it.. film anything..
take it home and make movies..
simple.
practice your editing skills.
get a good understanding for what you have to do..
even try to learn the shortcut keys to make the process quicker.
once you get a grip of it all you will understand how to do the job properly.
and therefore create a better video for your hsc.. better transition effects etc.
and it only takes a day..

me, im doing video. i found it hard to get my idea onto paper for my storyboard and narrative, so i took photos of where my set is, costume, etc. i presented visuals, my teacher loved it ad could really see i was putting effort into it. i got 80%.

use your initiative. dont be afraid to ask.
ask friends about dreams theyve had if you have trouble with a story.. be creative use your friends as the perfect tools

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)