Vietnamese Declaration of Independence (1 Viewer)

Rory

HSC
Hey,
I've just been given the Vietnamese Declaration of Independence to read and then been asked "Is this a realiable source?" - I'm having trouble answering because I can't really understand why it would or wouldn't BE a realiable source?
Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, it's a bit vague to ask is it reliable, because it depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it as a source to investigate what Ho Chi Minh said in the declaration of independence, yeah, it's probably reliable!!!

One thing to think about is that the translation (I assume it was originally spoken in Vietnamese, I can't quite remember!) may be unreliable... how do you know if that was actually what he was saying? Also, it's biased and it's purpose is to boost Vietnamese morale etc, so that's another thing to think about.

Lolliana

Ho Chi Minh had an agenda when writing the Vietnamese declaration of independance, he makes reference to the American declaration of independace
ie- he was trying to gain support and recognition by a powerful democratic nation
it would be reliable because in many respects becuase it shows that Ho was not a militant communist but rather forced into it due to lack of other options
and that Ho was not initally anti-US
its also a great source from which to discuss Vietnamese patriotism and sense of nationalism

of course being a speech, it has a purpose similar to propaganda
and becuase of its political agenda, it has an ovbious bias

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)