Vis Com UTS or Digital Media UNSW? (1 Viewer)

crammy90

HSC
im confused as which to do. im aiming for a career in web development (interfaces and coding most likely) or creating 3D animations like movies, adds etc
which course would be best?
Ive got a good enough UAI to get into both and UTS is alot higher so im wondering if i should choose this as it is more popular for a reason?
currently Viscom is first and Dig media second
should i leave that or change them around? or can i get accepted into both and have more time to choose?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My brother is doing Vis Comm and I must say I'm envying the stuff he's going through, not only does it feature a very good art-theory foundation, it also involves a lot of practical examples/work and portfolio pieces for the future.

I'd leave them as 1st Vis Comm/2nd Digital Media :)

crammy90

HSC
thanks for the reply.
what sort of art theory is it
is it like learning about artists and how their contexts influenced their work?
cuz i dont really want to do that
yeh it would be good to get the portfolio going...
has he done any animation sort of stuff or stuff with photoshop cuz that interest me
but if its sketching and painting i dont think i would be that intersted
thanks for the feedback :)

chamelia

HSC
If you do a Vis Com, it is highly likely you will spend about a semester using traditional mediums for drawing and painting. It's just the general method of all design courses to give students a creative foundation in layout, spatial positioning, colour theory, negative space, line weight etc.

It's pretty rare they let you jump right onto a computer in the first half of your first year. And it does help. It's a great base to work from and a way to physically learn the design theory you need to make good visuals.

crammy90

HSC
hey chamelia
on your website it said you were majoring in graphics design by doing the vis com course
does that just mean in the vis com course you chose certain electives or topics or whatever (those non-core units where you can choose to do one from six choices) which would make you a graphic designer?
and from the vis com course what else could you major in?
your work is awsome by the way

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
crammy90 said:
thanks for the reply.
what sort of art theory is it
is it like learning about artists and how their contexts influenced their work?
cuz i dont really want to do that
yeh it would be good to get the portfolio going...
has he done any animation sort of stuff or stuff with photoshop cuz that interest me
but if its sketching and painting i dont think i would be that intersted
thanks for the feedback :)
UTS: C10059v8 Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication - UTS Handbook 2009

Have a look at the course structure for yourself :)

chamelia

HSC
crammy90 said:
hey chamelia
on your website it said you were majoring in graphics design by doing the vis com course
does that just mean in the vis com course you chose certain electives or topics or whatever (those non-core units where you can choose to do one from six choices) which would make you a graphic designer?
and from the vis com course what else could you major in?
your work is awsome by the way

When you do the Vis Com degree you chose (at Newcastle at least) to pick one of three majors: Illustration, Graphic Design OR Digital Design. Picking one of these determines which courses you will do. They will be geared towards different skills, ie drawing, print media, web design respectively.

....and therefore Illustration - leads on to becoming an Illustrator, Graphic Design - a Graphic Designer, and Digital Design - a Web Designer.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
i soooooooooooo wanna do vis com at uts next year but my uai is way lower than the expected cut off =[

my next preference is design/art education at cofa.

go to the information days tomorrow and have a chat with the people there.

crammy90

HSC
ah k
i guess ill have to try find out if uts is the same where you choose the major and then do the courses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)