Vis Comm. and Int. Std (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by reynaldo
you cant tack on a International Studies degree with Architecture by any chance???????

i'd do So Tome e Princip, or Bhutan, or the Comoros, or Montserrat, or French Guiana, or Kyrgystan, or Bahrain, or the Federated States of Micronesia.......

hmm... so with a International Studies degree, what sort of line of work could i get into? im an apt geographical reference and mutli-linguist with a keen taste for obscure cultures... are these the sort of abilities/interests ones that are involved in an I.Studies degree?
nope, you can't..arch is a feckin' long enough course as it is dude!
plus those countries are way cool but like way too in our dreams

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
DAMN! B.Arch/B.Int Studies (So Tome e Princip) sounds wickid !, shame..

your in the hills too? im in baulko..

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
sort of, i think i belong to hornsby but i say i'm from the hills anyway :p
cherrybrook to be exact

ps so what happened with the whole what-are-you-doing-this-year kefuffle..?

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
ahhh cherrybrook.. not too far from 'ere

im doin' insearch cause i didn't want to do 2 years tafe, and its easier to get into UTS via insearch anyway..

its the foundation certificate in Design/Architecture/Building

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh cool
so how long does the insearch course take, and do you get into first or second year architecture when you finish it?

well see you on the other side i guess ;)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
insearch is 31 weeks.. its held in Prince Center ? or something.. and unfortuantely i can only go into 1st year.. but i *may* get some subject exemptions :)

frazzle

HSC
saladsurgery said:
i'm trying to transfer to it (i did straight viscomm last year). what country do you want to major in?
what's the procedure in transferring?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i think since the nelson reforms went through, all transfers (even internal ones) are handled by uac.

when i did it, you just picked up an internal transfer form, filled that out, and handed it in. not too sure anymore. check the uac website maybe?

frazzle

HSC
saladsurgery, you're doing vis comm? can i ask for your experience of it? that's the course i want to do the most next year.

first of all, how is it different from the design or digital media course at COFA?

and i hear there are no exams, just projects and essays, and i've been hearing different things regarding the workload. is it a lot?

how hard is it to do well? i'm thinking of transferring to int. studies/vis comm from a straight vis comm.

[i'm in yera 12 right now, filling in uni preferences for next year,. please help out!]

geegables

HSC
Hi im doing my UAC preferences at the moment
i have a couple of questions for anyone that can answer them
Whats the benefit of the int. studies part of the degree?
and whats the difference between this course and digital media at COFA.
because im tossing up between VISCOM, VISCOM+INTL STUDIES at uts...and COFAS digital media and im incredibly confused :(

jaydot

HSC
Digital Media @ COFA = Multimedia Design
Vis Com @ UTS = Communication Design

Two different strands of "design" in itself.
The billyblue site give a good run down on what it is
http://www.billyblue.com.au/graphics/course.html#vs

-----

I'd like to know, in the 4th year of study overseas, do you study anything vis com related?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jaydot said:
I'd like to know, in the 4th year of study overseas, do you study anything vis com related?
With international studies it depends on the level of competency you have in the language. If your skills aren't all that good then you study the language for the year, if its in between then you study subjects related to the culture and history of the country for a year (in the native language of course), if your skills are rather advanced then you can do pretty much any subject the host university has on offer for foreign students.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jaydot said:
I had a look at the IIS website under UTS. And the alternative subjects arent related to Vis Com.
Like different culture studies or something.
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/iis/faculty/info.html#alternative

So would undertaking Vis Com + Int Std be any good for me?
If all i want to do is vis com? => designer
Well having a year overseas + skills in another language would probably look good on a CV, however it should be remembered that you would be studying International Studies as opposed to an International Design course. Much like with someone who does BCom(Act. Stu)/BA(English) - components of one degree do not have to relate to the other. However, if one were to have a very high level of competency in the language once they have completed their 3rd year then they would have a very wide choice of subjects at the foreign university - which may or may not include subjects related to design.

So International Studies would be good for you if you were interested in International Studies as Int. Stu. isn't meant to further your education in Visual Communications.

poppop

HSC
N/A
why is the uai for this combined degree so high? Last year was 97.95, the year before was unusually low at 91.7, the year before that was freakin 99 and the years before had been 98+ . Do you really need to be this intelligent to be a sucessful designer? :confused:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1st of all change your font...soo hard to read
2nd of all, UAI is not a measure of IQ, the cut off (99.xx) is high because heaps of people want to do it.
if you want to do vis comm, just try and do it straight and if you still wanna do int Std after that then transfer interally

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Don't bother with the double degree if you wanna do design
cos it's not like they give a crap bout your 2 years of int studies
they (future employer) care more bout your design experience.
BUT if you're thinking of travelling overseas and continue with your career there, then I guess the 2 years would be pretty useful.

Otherwise, finish you 4 years design degree, pass all subjects, and get the hell out to the workforce!

msh

HSC
if you try out and get offered a place, definately go for it.
it's not easy getting in you know..and im sure there are plenty of ppl that would happily take the position. (including myself)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)