Vis Comm. and Int. Std (1 Viewer)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i'm trying to transfer to it (i did straight viscomm last year). what country do you want to major in?

mi-mich

I'm 1st year student-
How do u find Vis. Comm so far???

I'm doing Japan: and u??

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey salad, you know you can check whether or not you got in.. just check the uts site

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
viscomm's eally good fun. lots of work -- deadlines have a habit of creeping up on me. there's a big emphasis on hand-drawn work, or work produced using things besides computers (collaging, photocopiers, fax machines, typewriters, drawing, sewing, anything goes really). doing everything on the computer tends to make everyone's work look a bit same-same, i think (and that's the general philosophy behind all the hand-done stuff).

good theory base, especially if you enjoyed art theory at school. typography is a big part of the course too, which i think is cool (but some other people don't like so much). the staff are really good too. look out for kate and helen, i think they are still doing first year stuff. both really good lecturers, and generally cool people.

so yeah, a really cool course. especially for the theory part -- most other graphics/visual comm courses are pretty light on theory.

shelli@UTS

Originally posted by saladsurgery
viscomm's eally good fun. lots of work -- deadlines have a habit of creeping up on me. there's a big emphasis on hand-drawn work, or work produced using things besides computers (collaging, photocopiers, fax machines, typewriters, drawing, sewing, anything goes really). doing everything on the computer tends to make everyone's work look a bit same-same, i think (and that's the general philosophy behind all the hand-done stuff).

good theory base, especially if you enjoyed art theory at school. typography is a big part of the course too, which i think is cool (but some other people don't like so much). the staff are really good too. look out for kate and helen, i think they are still doing first year stuff. both really good lecturers, and generally cool people.

so yeah, a really cool course. especially for the theory part -- most other graphics/visual comm courses are pretty light on theory.
hey, thanks for the info, i'm starting viscom this year, after 2 years of fine art, so i guess my drawing majors taken will be an advantage. i met the design theory lecturer, he was alittle too nice to me, forgot to sign my form!

any more snippets would be great! thanks again :)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
shelli, i'm curious..how come you decided to give up fine arts..?
and where did you do it?

shelli@UTS

Hey Johnson, I was doing Bachelor of Fine Art at Newcastle Uni. I originally was all set to do VisCom due to Industry experience I have with 2 Sydney firms in flash and webmedia, but I had an operation for my gallbladder in Year 12 which affected my UAI significantly.

Fine Arts is a great course for anybody into manual art practices, I loved Fibre/Textiles module, Digital Photomedia and Printmaking, one of my 4-color print pieces is being exhibited at Watt Space Galleries in Newcastle in March. But realistically I couldn't see myself being happy in the Fine Art sector, or teaching in highschool, I found Art Theory boring and a load of hot heads talking rubbish, not to mention my heart not being in it to begin with. So thank God with the Mature Age Student interview and whooppeeee I'm here at UTS now, now let's hope it's everything I've been working my ass towards! :)

P.S. the hscboardz may remember me as 'post queen' at one stage... guys looks like I'm no longer 'stuck up north'! :apig:

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
watt space is where it's at

i bought one of martin trew's chocolate jesuses a while ago

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh alright shelli
hm well i was just about to go to this art theory course at the college of fine arts, but i think i'll stay at the dab now. it'd be like, so hard to find a job with a degree in art theory..

p.s. good luck with the course, its heaps of fun i hear :)

shelli@UTS

watt space is where it's at

i bought one of martin trew's chocolate jesuses a while ago
I should've bought one of them jesuses when I saw the show - pretty cheap eh? Great show, Martin's a ledge!

Johnson, well you gotta think to yourself what you're going to use the course for, your interest level. Now I'm not one of those 'everything is boring' people, Infact I got a HD for Theory, it's just that there isn't much use for it unless you're going to work in the Fine Art vein - there is alot of cross referencing between periods of art, and cross-critique, the argument gets so hazy when all these bigshod words are unnecessary, plus the essays are a complete bitch unless you're one of those 'how now brown cows' who normally talks like that -- and there are some of those loonies around fine art school now.

The assessments are spread out as short biographical essay (this splits the class between serious knuckleheads and obvious dumbarses), class presentation - 20 mins on a lecture topic (I did digital art practices vs. previous methods etc.), then a bitch of a 70% essay, which just about everybody fails (I didn't! fluke!) and a slide exam of 6 slides studied during lectures in 300words per slide on it's background, controversies surrounding etc. It's all fine and dandy listening in the lectures, the tutorials depending on your leader can be stimulating, or a whole bunch of mute snobs looking away in all directions, but it's the assessment which is more risque than any other subject because of the severe scaling up or down, and there's not enough time explaning how to do this university style (and believe me, a fine art essay is beyond any essay you can write).

Here's the Newy fine art essay guide, check the examples and get an idea of what you're in for!

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/discipline/fine-art/theory/essayguide/essay.htm

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
ooh..thanks for the advice shelli
much appreciated
though i'm kinda one of those fucks who was good at art theory in high school..like i just dunno if there's really any use in life iwth having a degree in art theory. kind of like people who major in greek mythology and stuff haha.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
no way, there's heaps of stuff yoiu could do with an art theory degree

+ curator, manager, consultant or whatever for a big gallery
+ art writer or critic
+ researchr/lecturer at uni
+ art teacher (shudder)

ermm
that's all i can think of at the moment
if i ever do another degree, it'll probably be that one

shelli@UTS

Originally posted by johnson
ooh..thanks for the advice shelli
much appreciated
though i'm kinda one of those fucks who was good at art theory in high school..like i just dunno if there's really any use in life iwth having a degree in art theory. kind of like people who major in greek mythology and stuff haha.
No probs Johnson, my pleasure! ;)

Art Theory in Highschool will and won't get you far in the uni course -- it just requires this unrealistic commitment unless you're planning to be an Art Socrates, like taking it into a profession, it's far from breezy, and when they beat your essay to the dust (they still do even when you get HD's), it's not worth feeling suicidal at the end of the day. It's very much like Philosophy. But 1st year is a feast- all the most confronting slides of controversial pieces and efforts, alot of people drop out in a couple of weeks, and the toughies stay on in. If you want any more info, you can talk to me about it on msn: shell@shell-lee.com

Shimmy ^^

shelli@UTS

no way, there's heaps of stuff yoiu could do with an art theory degree

+ curator, manager, consultant or whatever for a big gallery
+ art writer or critic
+ researchr/lecturer at uni
+ art teacher (shudder)

ermm
that's all i can think of at the moment
if i ever do another degree, it'll probably be that one
yep, true true, but it has to be your no.1 passion in and out -- u'know what I mean... and most of them end up turning into these un-communicatables (if such a word), and remain in that same institution.. u'know what it's like... :p

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
fancy meetin' u here, shellzers! how's it been?! :)

i wanted to do viscomm at Newy as well, but my uai didn't allow for it...

So i'm gonna start doing a BA vis art @ "the 'bong" for now (since i love art anyway), and next year, this degree can be turned into a visual communications degree (now that they're FINALLY introducing a major in graphic design there for 2005!) Well, hopefully, if all goes to plan...

yay! stoked! :D

Last edited:

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
you cant tack on a International Studies degree with Architecture by any chance???????

i'd do So Tome e Princip, or Bhutan, or the Comoros, or Montserrat, or French Guiana, or Kyrgystan, or Bahrain, or the Federated States of Micronesia.......

hmm... so with a International Studies degree, what sort of line of work could i get into? im an apt geographical reference and mutli-linguist with a keen taste for obscure cultures... are these the sort of abilities/interests ones that are involved in an I.Studies degree?

shelli@UTS

Originally posted by chookyn
fancy meetin' u here, shellzers! how's it been?! :)

i wanted to do viscomm at Newy as well, but my uai didn't allow for it...

So i'm gonna start doing a BA vis art @ "the 'bong" for now (since i love art anyway), and next year, this degree can be turned into a visual communications degree (now that they're FINALLY introducing a major in graphic design there for 2005!) Well, hopefully, if all goes to plan...

yay! stoked! :D
Small small world chookyn babez, I've been knackered! You lookin' up to the burning smell of weet-bix? I'm in the Holy City til Sunday, I'm moving into my UTS room on monday!

Try for HD's first sem at Avondale and try to get in 2nd sem at Newy, make sure you have HEAPS of portfolio work and any industry tidbits (i.e. even church flyers and stuff like that count), know the Viscom course in and out and don't give up - it's taken me 2 years!

haha viscom at Avondale... sounds.. err... advanced! :p

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
You lookin' up to the burning smell of weet-bix? I'm in the Holy City til Sunday
lol!! well, i'm going down there in a couple of weeks...

high distinictions?! ...sheesh, i'll try! (and i'll definitely have to work on my portfolio too)

but for now, i'm happy to stay at avondale for at least a year and do art :D (so excited!), perhaps longer, depending on whether things work out...

haha viscom at Avondale... sounds.. err... advanced!
that's what i'm sorta concerned about! :rolleyes:

thanks for the tips! and i hope u have fun at UTS ;)

Last edited:

shelli@UTS

hehe! oh well, you chose it :p

get out of there while you can -- you'll be finishing a degree before you know it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)