Vista and games! (1 Viewer)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I just upgraded my pc with a new mobo and graphics card but it doesnt run good. I have windows vista home premium running and i play games like BF2 on high settings but its always lagging, like the pc is always loading. My graphics card is good enough though radeon 2600xt. Do i need more ram? i have 1gig

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
runtlocks said:
Absolute minimum for Vista should be 2gb ram, or so I hear
Not true. 512mb is the absolute minimum, and 1 (or more) gig is recommended. I'm running vista on 1 gig and it's working like a charm.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Let me rephrase that, if you want to play games decently then the minimum is 1 gig.

ram is bloody well cheap nowadays, so there's really no excuse to be skimping on it

My sis has 1 gig ram on her vista lappy and it's really slow, it takes a few seconds for a window to come up. Frustrating

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well i put xp back on. Desktop runs way better but sometimes still laggy. Games like BF2 run way better but sill lags especially in the first minute of the game, it runs nice but freezes then moves i even tried 2 gig ram only made a little difference. So i tried the graphics card on my bros pc which is an 4600+ AMDx2, 2gig ram. It played way better on that computer. So what is the problem? cant be CPU as my CPU is way higher then stated in BF2 requirements and my graphics card is tops. Could it be my Hard drive? It keeps loading and is very noisy i can always hear it trying to load.

Any helps would be appreciated.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Hmm. Maybe spyware/viruses?

Check the task manager to see how your resources are when the computer is idle

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
you have the latest drivers? i hear theres a pretty huge difference between the most recent drivers and the ones at the start of the year for the 2900xt in terms of performance.

stuttering is normally due to not having enough ram. 2 gigs should be fine for bf2 though.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Hey ye thanks all for the help. I got latest driver for chipset + graphics card. Then i gave it a shot with the 2 gig ram and it worked great but with 1 gig its not so good. I think my rams are crap they are generic old stuff like Rambo ram so im gonna get 2 gig soon. I also tried quake 4 with ultra high graphics using 2 gig ram and it worked really well, but the 2 gig ram i tried it with are pqi rams which are worth $400 lol, i wont go that far though.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
It depends what kind of ram you want, if you want 667mhz ram then $100 or so should be fine for 2 gigs

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
im after ddr1 400mhz pc3200 ram. I checked ebay and they have good prices about $90 all about for 2gig but its from America lol

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
is your mobo not compatible with DDR2 ram?

If it is, you can get 2gb Kingston or Corsair or whatever ram from MSY for about $100.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
$83 for a corsair stick of 1gb ram at ARC or $75 for Kingston at MSY

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Nah im using a 939 socket AMD and only takes ddr1, which is a bummer as things are more expensive for it now. Do u think getting a MSI 2600xt for $120 is cheap??

StudentZacMoore

HSC
N/A
You might need to take quite a good look at your Grapics Advanced settings or your main System Advanced Settings (uno, the control panel that controls everything in the system)
Warning! BEFORE you go into the advanced system settings, backup your files to a REMOVEABLE disk, not the HD Windows is installed, not the Recovery partion, a blank CD or DVD will do, or better yet if you have another computer, and a network, you can send your backup there, also make sure to make a set of recovery discs in the event of the system failing.
PS: if you are going to use the Backup program shipped with XP Pro, make sure to use advanced mode.

pete_mate

HSC
if you only just upgraded your computer, why didnt you get a new motherboard,

you should have got a core 2 duo when you upgraded

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I didnt want to get core 2 duo as i already had a amd athlon 64 3500+ cpu, i bought a decent motherboard which had nforce 4 chipset on it. I dont really like pentium im an amd person as i know friends with pentiums and there computers are slow as.

Speaking about ram i found a mad deal on ebay which was $70 all up for 2x1gig rams, but then the guy emailed us back saying he only has one piece of ram which was 1gig so i canceled the order as i want 2gig.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hakz said:
Nah im using a 939 socket AMD and only takes ddr1, which is a bummer as things are more expensive for it now. Do u think getting a MSI 2600xt for $120 is cheap??
?

Those are ddr400 prices, I bought 2 sticks last week.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I was refering to my video card in that post 2600xt = ati radeon video card.

Yeh with the ddr prices i did manage to find 1gig sticks at about $30 on ebay

Redwan

HSC
N/A
Hakz said:
I was refering to my video card in that post 2600xt = ati radeon video card.
Get an 8600GT it beats the 2600XT in most benchmarks, roughly the same price

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)