Vista and RAM (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
My desktop currently has 4GB of RAM and im only using windows xp (what a waste). Im scared to move on to Vista.

zingerburger

HSC
Even if you moved onto Vista, you'd have to get the 64-bit version to utilise all 4GB anyway. There was a 64-bit version of XP released but I don't think XP is sold separately anymore. But I'm pretty sure eBay sellers have some copies. When using a 64-bit OS you just have to make sure you have 64-bit drivers installed for your hardware.

And there's nothing particularly wrong with Vista, despite what you might hear.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Even if you moved onto Vista, you'd have to get the 64-bit version to utilise all 4GB anyway. There was a 64-bit version of XP released but I don't think XP is sold separately anymore. But I'm pretty sure eBay sellers have some copies. When using a 64-bit OS you just have to make sure you have 64-bit drivers installed for your hardware.

And there's nothing particularly wrong with Vista, despite what you might hear.
how much does it affect the performance?

Edit: btw my cpu is Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.16Ghz

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
hey wrxsti, the laptop ur gonna get will run vista perfectly fine with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Plus if u got 4gigs ram, then vista should be perfectly fine then.

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
The E8400/E8500/E8600 are very overclock able chips.

If your not overclocking then there is no point going above an E8400 as you will notice no difference.

HSC
i have vista home premium.. just wondering what the point of having 4gbs of ram?.. i have 2 gbs or ram.. and my computer harldy ever uses of 1gb.. (ctrl +alt+delete) :eek:

dinopoke

HSC
I'm on 2gig and it works just fine. I don't play much games on Vista though.

Jordanman

HSC
wait 2 months and get windows 7
it is soo much better... i have dual boot vista and 7 (RC) and 7 by far it waye better
faster load, better appearance, better allocation of resources, better shut down times and DX 11 ! :)

Top Secret

HSC
wait 2 months and get windows 7
it is soo much better... i have dual boot vista and 7 (RC) and 7 by far it waye better
faster load, better appearance, better allocation of resources, better shut down times and DX 11 ! :)
Yes, that was the whole idea Jordan.

You see, windows Vista and 7 are comparable to windows 2000 and XP. Vista and 2000 were both "pre-models", OS they can afford to give a bad reputation to so that they can fix up all the bugs, etc. for the "proper" model. Thus windows 7 is really a hefty vista fix.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
if you've got a 3.18GHz dual core cpu and 4 gigs ram then vista will run perfectly fine.

my laptop has 2.53ghz dual core and 4gigs ram, and i got vista ultimate 32 bit, never had a problem at all.

only thing i dont like about windows 7 is the slightly different interface (im now used to vista), and that some games dont run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)