Vitamin A and alcohol (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Is it safe to drink alcohol if you're taking a high dosage of Vitamin A?

I have an epic weekend planned and I'd like to be able to drink...but obviously I'd rather stay sober than get really sick/die

I googled it and I'm thinking a couple of drinks would be ok? Confirm/Deny

(I'm on 50,000iu daily for a little while)

???

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
That's a very high amount and I would not drink on it or at the very most one to two standard drinks per night.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
jb_nc said:
That's a very high amount and I would not drink on it or at the very most one to two standard drinks per night.
thanks

better safe than sorry, not a big drinker anyway so won't be too hard to abstain

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Also if it's only one night, it probably wouldn't matter. You achieve liver damage through sustained consumption.

I mean it's up to you, you probably won't wake up in the morning feeling very nice and the alcohol will hit you hard. Depends on your triglyceride levels to begin with also.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
IDK, to be honest it's only regular, excess consumption of alcohol with vitamins that you should worry about (something about cell repair, idk, it's why alcoholics are all scabby)

A couple of drinks should be fine. Don't get wasted though, would be my advice.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well friday I'm getting dragged to the fiddler which is a shithole unless you're too drunk to realise it's a shithole, might have like one drink and see how I go

saturday we're going to the city which is infinitely more fun, so will channel my inner designated driver and drink water like a good girl

the info pack that comes with the stuff ought to mention alcohol imo but all it says is not to have babies unless I want them to have 3 heads lol

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
i saw a meth baby today

it was 9 months old and couldnt hold its head up still

granted, its head was the size of stewy griffins

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well friday I'm getting dragged to the fiddler which is a shithole unless you're too drunk to realise it's a shithole, might have like one drink and see how I go

saturday we're going to the city which is infinitely more fun, so will channel my inner designated driver and drink water like a good girl

the info pack that comes with the stuff ought to mention alcohol imo but all it says is not to have babies unless I want them to have 3 heads lol
Unless there is a pretty specific reason for taking that large amount (i.e. doctor has prescribed it or it's Isotretinoin) you should probably stop.

Apparently the maximum recommended dose is around 10 000 IU. Taking this over the long term is enough to cause health problems.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
jb_nc said:
Unless there is a pretty specific reason for taking that large amount (i.e. doctor has prescribed it or it's Isotretinoin) you should probably stop.

Apparently the maximum recommended dose is around 10 000 IU. Taking this over the long term is enough to cause health problems.
yeh doctor prescribed it for my skin

more or less got my smooth ten year old complexion back which is awesome, can't wait to finish it though

Just.waiting

HSC
would it improve your skin if you took a smaller dose? (I'm asking for me - my skin isn't bad enough to warrent a visit to the doctors, but I would love it even clearer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Just.waiting said:
would it improve your skin if you took a smaller dose? (I'm asking for me - my skin isn't bad enough to warrent a visit to the doctors, but I would love it even clearer)
Probably

50,000iu seems pretty epic but apparently is standard for treating acne...it's a precursor to accutane or something. My acne was mostly hormonal but the pill didn't quite eradicate it and antibiotics only worked while I was taking them (breakouts promptly returned when I finished the course), so my doctor put me on this because it's effective but not as potentially dangerous as accutane if I remember what she said correctly.

If you've just got normal teenaged skin you'd be better off with over-the-counter vitamin A, the strongest you can get without prescription is I think like 5000iu? idk. Alternatively you could take cod liver oil supplements which I've heard is pretty good for your skin.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Just.waiting said:
Oral vitamin A (retinol) is generally not considered useful in the treatment of acne vulgaris. We conducted a study which showed that retinol was indeed ineffective at the usual doses of 50,000 to 100,000 IU daily. Retinol was highly efficacious in doses of 300,000 units for women and 400,000 to 500,000 units for men, toxicity was slight and limited mainly to skin (xerosis) and mucous membranes (cheilitis).

The danger of hypervitaminosis A in this dosage range has been exaggerated. Retinol is a valuable drug for treating stubborn, severely inflammatory acne vulgaris. It is administered until the disease is brought under control, usually within three to four months. Then the dosage is progressively reduced relying on conventional drugs to keep the disease in abeyance.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119569587/abstract

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)