• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

VIVA to the VOCE (1 Viewer)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Hey,
I have my Viva Voce in a few weeks time - but we just started year 12!
This is before a proposal or anything...
I don't know what to expect, since it's incredibly early in comparison to what I've heard i.e. after beginning a draft.
Anyone else in the same situation?
Any past EE2ers - do you have a couple of tips?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Hey,
I have my Viva Voce in a few weeks time - but we just started year 12!
This is before a proposal or anything...
I don't know what to expect, since it's incredibly early in comparison to what I've heard i.e. after beginning a draft.
Anyone else in the same situation?
Any past EE2ers - do you have a couple of tips?
Wtf, serious?

...I don't really see how you can do your Viva without your Proposal. I thought the Viva was 'selling' your major work orally, and if you haven't written the Proposal (and worked out, fine-tuned all of your ideas) and stated what you actually want to do, yet, how can you do a viva?

Strange. Is it assessed? I can't fathom why your teacher would make you do the viva first. You have to know your work for the viva. You guys are just starting out!!

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Wtf, serious?

...I don't really see how you can do your Viva without your Proposal. I thought the Viva was 'selling' your major work orally, and if you haven't written the Proposal (and worked out, fine-tuned all of your ideas) and stated what you actually want to do, yet, how can you do a viva?

Strange. Is it assessed? I can't fathom why your teacher would make you do the viva first. You have to know your work for the viva. You guys are just starting out!!
Apparently the '010-ers have a different assessment trajectory then previous years. I hear that their teachers mark their major works as a part of the internal marks ( not 100% sure about this though).

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Wtf, serious?

I know, it's ludicrous. I'm assuming it's going to be a very unconventional Viva Voce, and yes, it's going to be assessed!!!
Additionally, the teacher told us that we should be reading short stories and researching. I really don't understand what the Viva is going to encompass...

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Apparently the '010-ers have a different assessment trajectory then previous years. I hear that their teachers mark their major works as a part of the internal marks ( not 100% sure about this though).
The MW is still externally marked, but I'm not sure if other changes have taken place - we haven't been notified.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Oh, that's right. I remember reading something like that.

Have you been given an assessment schedule? And yes, I think the major is marked both externally and internally...

From BOS website:

'For the English Extension 2 HSC examination in 2010 and beyond, the Major Work and the Reflection Statement will be awarded separate marks, out of 40 and 10 respectively. There will be three internal assessment tasks: a Viva Voce addressing the proposal for the Major Work worth 10 marks, a report on the impact of independent investigation on the development of the Major Work worth 15 marks and a draft version of the Major Work, including a reflection on progress, worth 25 marks. Students will also be required to submit their Major Work Journal to their teacher at least three times at key points during the course.'

So you don't have to write the proposal! I guess that means your Viva will be questioning on what you intend to do, rather than what you've already done.

Here's a sample assessment schedule:

HSC assessment grid for English Extension 2 - Board of Studies NSW

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
<table class="table-2"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="215">
</td> <td colspan="2" valign="top">
Components
</td> <td valign="top" width="40">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="215">Tasks
</td> <td valign="top" width="80">Objective 1
</td> <td valign="top" width="80">Objective 2
</td> <td valign="top" width="40">Total
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="215">Viva Voce addressing the proposal for the Major Work
</td> <td width="80">
5​
</td> <td width="80">
5​
</td> <td width="40">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="215">Report - The impact of independent investigation on the development of the Major Work
</td> <td width="80">
10​
</td> <td width="80">
5​
</td> <td width="40">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="215">Draft version of the Major Work, and reflection on progress to date
</td> <td width="80">
10​
</td> <td width="80">
15​
</td> <td width="40">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="215">
Total
</td> <td valign="top" width="80">
</td> <td valign="top" width="80">
</td> <td valign="top" width="40">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Hmm that's odd, we still have a seperate proposal/vv.

Mayhaps my teacher has been mistaken D:

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Hmm that's odd, we still have a seperate proposal/vv.

Mayhaps my teacher has been mistaken D:
LOl, that is probably the case...
Well, maybe your proposal isn't a formal assessment task ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)