viva's (1 Viewer)

gabn

HSC
has anyone worked out what they are doing for a hsc viva things ?

i need to do one for 20th and 21th centuray music. any great ideas anyone ?

Juliet

HSC
I did Harry Potter last year, u are welcome to copy...of course that was for Music in radio, televison or film...:)

MouNtY

...i do music and i don't know what "viva" is. Should i be worried?...lol

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
A viva is like a speech or talk that you give about a topic... kinda like a conversation with the examiners but you ahve to have examples of what you're saying and everything... it goes for about 10 minutes...

lots of fun
i did two of them.. i did music in education .. i focused a lot on Hi-5 and their educational music qualities

and i did music of a culture in which i focused on beat structures of african tribal music

theyre a lot of work, you ahve to know your stuff but all in all, lots of fun.. and i thought that they werent as nerve racking as the performances

olay

HSC
hey do we all have to do vivas???? or is this just up to the teacher?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
you only do vivas if you do Music 1

and it's the equivalent of writing a musicology essay in music 2 - it should be your choice to do a viva or not.

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by PrincessSJ
A viva is like a speech or talk that you give about a topic... kinda like a conversation with the examiners but you ahve to have examples of what you're saying and everything... it goes for about 10 minutes...
OK, so is there anythign else we should know about giving vivas? Cos I do music 2 and my teacher has just had a brain explosion and wants us to do vivas on our COMPO DIARIES!!! And whats best, no two weeks notice for assessment etc. Yay. I'm off to fight it though.. it sort of defeats the purpose of the diary in a way cos hey, all the thoughts and ideas are IN it, and then we just have to regurgitate them orally?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Originally posted by olay
hey do we all have to do vivas???? or is this just up to the teacher?
no you can choose to do them... not compulsory FOR THE HSC

but some teachers like you to do them informally anyways.. to see if you like them and want to have a go at one

the_used

Viva's aren't too bad...I just finished mine for my half yearly's.. I did it on the Guitar Techniques of John Mayer and scored 19/20, so I'm fairly confident. They're easy if its on a topic you're interested in, because then you are naturally motivated to learn, rather than forced to..and you don't really think of it as an assessment..more like a conversation with someone about something you like. :cool:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Originally posted by the_used
Viva's aren't too bad...I just finished mine for my half yearly's.. I did it on the Guitar Techniques of John Mayer and scored 19/20, so I'm fairly confident. They're easy if its on a topic you're interested in, because then you are naturally motivated to learn, rather than forced to..and you don't really think of it as an assessment..more like a conversation with someone about something you like. :cool:

hey mind if i quote you in my next education essay??? thats a really good point about motivation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)