Volumes - HSC 2005 Q4, (a) (1 Viewer)

Deep Blue

HSC
The region between the curve y=e^(-x^2), the x axis and the lines x=0 and x=N where N>0 is rotated about the y-axis to form a solid of revolution.

Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of this solid in terms of N.

Now, when I do that, I get

which is right. Now I use integration by parts and but in the solutions, it completely drops off the second part. Why is this?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The region between the curve y=e^(-x^2), the x axis and the lines x=0 and x=N where N>0 is rotated about the y-axis to form a solid of revolution.

Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of this solid in terms of N.

Now, when I do that, I get

which is right. Now I use integration by parts and but in the solutions, it completely drops off the second part. Why is this?

No need to integrate by parts.

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Drongoski left out the half. If you let and then it'll come clean. The half out the front will cancel with the 2 in front of the however.

HSC
Uni Grad

Drongoski left out the half. If you let and then it'll come clean. The half out the front will cancel with the 2 in front of the however.
no need for that, you just use the standard form that you learn in 2u maffs

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

So simple and I got it wrong. Thank God - I'm not infallible after all!

Deep Blue

HSC
Thanks so much, completely forgot about the ∫f'(x)f(x) for the exponential function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)