[Volumes] Question (1 Viewer)

Pyrobooby

HSC
The rectangle OABC, where O(0,0), A(a,0), C(0,c) is cut through by a continuous, smooth, differentiable curve y=f(x). The region below y=f(x) is rotated about he side OA while the region above y=f(x) is rotated about the side BC. If the volumes of the two solids are equal, show that the two areas are equal.

I'm not sure how to go about this question. I can see that the coordinate B will be B(a,c), and the two solids generated are like a bowl and a cone.

On a side note: is the integral of [f(x)]^2 equal to 1/3 [f(x)]^3 ?

ALSO!
Is there another way to derive the integration formula in Cambridge Ex. 6.1 Example 3? Because that is some whack ass shit right there. The question is: the region bounded by the curve y=x(4-x) and the x-axis is rotated about the y-axis. Find the volume of the solid of revolution by taking slices perpendicular to the y-axis. The author uses the sum and product of roots to derive the formula.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Is there another way to derive the integration formula in Cambridge Ex. 6.1 Example 3? Because that is some whack ass shit right there. The question is: the region bounded by the curve y=x(4-x) and the x-axis is rotated about the y-axis. Find the volume of the solid of revolution by taking slices perpendicular to the y-axis. The author uses the sum and product of roots to derive the formula.
You can use a symmetry argument here. Let x be the x1 shown on that diagram. Draw a vertical line x = 4 and it should be clear by symmetry that
x2 = 4 - x
Now from the original equation
x2 - 4x = - y
=> (x - 2)2 = 4 - y
=> x = 2 ± √(4 - y)
But since we defined x in the domain 0 < x < 2 (i.e. the left half of the curve) then we take the negative root, hence
x = 2 - √(4 - y)
We now obtain
dV = π((4 - x)2 - x2)dy
= 8π(2 - x)dy
= 8π√(4 - y)dy

Pyrobooby

HSC
Thank you trebla!

One last question:
The lows of a point P on the rim of a circular wheel of unit radius rolling on a straight line is defined by:
x=(theta) - sin(theta)
y=1-cos(theta).

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the arch under the curve, for 0<=(theta)<=2pi, about the x-axis.

And another:
A torus is formed by rotating the circle x^2+y^2=a^2 about the line x=2a. Find the volume so generated. <== I arrived at the integral 16pi a (from y=0 to y=a) ((a^2-y^2)^(1/2)) dy. I used wolfram to integrate and it gave me the correct answer, but I can't seem to get there myself!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)