Volumes (1 Viewer)

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
I've got a test coming up (3 unit) and it has "volumes" in it. I'm guessing this is harder 2 unit volumes but i'm not sure...and exactly what is harder 2 unit volumes??

Any help is appreciated...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I remember 3unit volumes were just volumes of revolution, but rather than using the standard formula. integral of pi * y^2 dx or whatever.

You had to derrive the formula since the revolution axis could be different.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
We did y^2dx integrations in 2 unit also.

Most likely it will be volumes involve functions that you dont learn how to integrate in 2 unit. Such as inverse trig functions or stuff like sin2x

Trev

stix
HSC
acmilan said:
We did y^2dx integrations in 2 unit also.

Most likely it will be volumes involve functions that you dont learn how to integrate in 2 unit. Such as inverse trig functions or stuff like sin2x
We did not encounter integrating inverse trig in 3 unit 'integration'. I think it is only covered in 'inverse trig' and 4 unit integration topics.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
What i meant was integrating functions that result from differentiating inverse trig functions. To add on that, you can integrate inverse trig functions on their own using 3 unit methods, so i dont see why they wouldnt ask to find the volume of an inverse trig graph

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
Substitution method for determining volumes, maybe?

rama_v

HSC
It could simply be 2 unit questions except that you need to add two volumes or take away intersecting volumes etc. For example see the last question in this JR paper to get an idea.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
rama_v said:
It could simply be 2 unit questions except that you need to add two volumes or take away intersecting volumes etc. For example see the last question in this JR paper to get an idea.
that's right, I remember now.

integrating on different axis was for 4unit.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
that's right, I remember now.

integrating on different axis was for 4unit.
er are you sure? I remember doing that in year 12 and I didnt do 4 unit. Possibly im thinking of something different to you

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
er are you sure? I remember doing that in year 12 and I didnt do 4 unit. Possibly im thinking of something different to you
mabye... i don't know any more :( tooooo long ago

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It may have just been some random thing i did on my own if its not in the 2 or 3 unit course

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Something like this perhaps:

Fitzpatrick exercises 26(d)

44. Find the volume of the solid of revolution formed by rotating the curve y = sinx between x = 0 and x = pi/2 about the x-axis. Hence, find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the curve y = sin-1x between y = 0 and y = pi/2 about the y-axis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)