Volunteer Work (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
I worked with Vinnies last year - you could try there. Apparently they need staff for their Gordon Store now (saw a sign on the window about 2 weeks back).

I dont know the number, but you could check up in the white pages - they have an outlet at Chatswood.

what sort of volunteer work are you looking at?

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Do cool Volunteer work ..... depending on your interest do work that interests you ... For example when did my Duke of Ed I taught little kids Drama and dance at my church (it doesn't have to be for church. Try primary schools, PCYC's, Youth halls, Community Centres)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
yeah i did stuff for duke of ed....but i want something thats easier (i helped cleanup some old lady's property out at kenthurst, not the thing i would like to do again especially with hsc and all)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I volunteer with a day centre for the elderly and disabled in Newcastle, its really good, I think it went a loooooong way to helping me with my uni transfer, and its pretty easy work, really.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
well how about just general stuff ..... do something for your school like work in the library or answer phone calls for the front office ladies ..... Something like that .... even start a club and be the president of it (it's considered Volunteer work Believe it or not)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah im part of a charities group at school, but i would honestly like to do some more (we dont do much at charities). I also was on the archives committee. But i think what im after is charity work i.e. working for people who are less fortunate than myself. Thanks for your help so far guys!

ishq

brown?
HSC
wrx said:
Ishq : Isn't Vinnies for old people though? And wouldnt they need someone for like a full day?

Vinnies need perople over 19 for the volunteering which concerns looking after other people (old/handicapped) - u know meeting them, doing their shopping etc
But, for casual volunteering - like i did - helping during christmas - with the kids for a couple of weeks, helping santa out - that doesnt really need an age limit. Also, helping out at the stores - you know, behind the counter, packing stuff, putting it out on the shelves...

For me, then, it was nearly a full day, but now, i think a couple of hours a week, or even just saturdays....just call them up, and show a bit of interest ....

sarevok

HSC
there often seems to be age limits on volunteering. i rang up some place and enquired about volunteer work but they only accepted people over the age of 21. kind of turned me off volunteering.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I've volunteered at the tennis in Sydney for two years and its soo fan-freaking-tastic. Lots of fun. Get too meet new ppl and you get a snazzy certificate for ur CV.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Sweets said:
I've volunteered at the tennis in Sydney for two years and its soo fan-freaking-tastic. Lots of fun. Get too meet new ppl and you get a snazzy certificate for ur CV.

Did you mean like at the Medibank International?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)