Volunteering in unsw (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Since leaving school i've just realised, i've done crap all in regard to sport and extra curiculars. So I was wondering how is the best way to get involved with volunteering at unsw? I've already checked out the source site, and probably will volunteer for the shack tutoring for sem2, but that's only 1 hour a week, and would prefer something a bit more involving.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
dont be fooled. shack tutoring is very rewarding.

volunteering for oral blitz is pretty fun too. i've friends who are doing it.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Im not disputing that, it just seems as if 1 hour a week is nothing to volunteer.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
sikeveo said:
Im not disputing that, it just seems as if 1 hour a week is nothing to volunteer.
Start with something small and work your way up.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
redslert said:
Start with something small and work your way up.
I know, but I need to know what to find out about, for sem 2. 1 hour is less than small.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
O-Week Yellow Shirts (not sure if they still have them for the mini one for students who start in session 2), Foundation Day, Arts Week, Oktoberfest, Union Week...

Did the latter two (does that even make sense) last year in 2nd sem, pretty fun. Just check out the classifieds and what's on listing in Blitz. And also the UNSW Careers site usually lists volunteer work, eg. Careers Expo.

You'll find that a lot of the same people end up volunteering for almost everything.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
babydoll_ said:
www.contact.unsw.edu.au

accepting volunteers now

its just 1 hr a week
Hmmm what's that like ? Is that why they had the stall outside library last week ?

What happens when you don't know the answer to someone's question though...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Kazuya said:
Hmmm what's that like ? Is that why they had the stall outside library last week ?

What happens when you don't know the answer to someone's question though...
Do the research to help them find the answer.
If seriously cannot find answer, then say you don't know.

It's not like you have to know everything.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Casmira said:
what do you generally get out of volunteering though?
What do you get out of getting involved with the university and helping others? Clearly you have made the right degree choice - commerce.

phrred

HSC
sikeveo said:
What do you get out of getting involved with the university and helping others? Clearly you have made the right degree choice - commerce.
haha nice one, lots of commerce ppl become involved to make their CV look pretty

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Of course, however they aren't dumb enough to ask 'what do you get out of volunteering'

HSC
Actually I was just going to transfer to law, this course was closest i could get. Thanks for answering my question

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Casmira said:
what do you generally get out of volunteering though?
You get to build your soft skills and also meet new people. This will help you answer behavioral questions at interviews and also show employers that you are a social person. In other words, it'll help you get a job at the end of your degree.

HSC
thanks jasee

i think you guys mis-interpreted me, i didnt mean what do i get out of it in terms of monteray terms. i mean what is the benefit of doign volunteering, does it build your social skills, makes you more confident for interviews, impress employers, makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside etc.

i was considering shack tutoring or roundhouse volunteering

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Shack tutoring helped me land my graduate job - I talked for 10 mins about shack tutoring in one of my interview questions "describe a time you showed leadership to another"

as eagles said, don;t underestimate whatever volunteer work you do - even if you get involved in two or three little things, it all adds up

B

Bambul

Be careful, volunteer for too much and you might end up like me - 5th year at uni and still going (I might be done by the end of my 6th or 7th year at this rate).

But, and this is a big but, all the stuff I've gotten involved with at uni has been very rewarding. I've made a lot of friends, had a lot of fun, helped a lot of people and added a few lines to my CV (and the importance is in that order). Some good intro volunteer stuff are Shack Tutoring (if you're confident in your HSC academin abilities), Hype Smiths (if you don't mind handing out info about Roundhouse events) or getting involved with a club (there are a lot to choose from). There are also one off events which need volunteers, Arts Week, U-Week (now known as Sourcefest), Mooncaske Yum-Cha, etc. The Source is the best place to get started. If you're interested, head down to the blockhouse and go into student development, they're in charge of all the volunteer stuff.

As for me, these are the things I've volunteered for/gotten involved with:
Contact - information and referal service
Shack Tutoring - tutoring local high school students
ComSoc - Commerce students society
EcoComp - the Australian Economics/Business Studies Competition
Yellow Shirts - O Week volunteers
U Week/Sourcefest - like O Week without the tours or club stalls, in session 2
Hype smiths - promoting roundhouse events
Oral Blitz - no longer around, but similar to hype smiths
Revues - med/law/cse revue, student run comedy theatre shows
Foundation Day - UNSW's birthday, big event in session 2

I'm one of those guys who you tend to see "doing everything"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)