Wait a year or straight on to Uni after HSC? (1 Viewer)

Sammmmmuel

I started uni this year at UNSW straight after the HSC last year. I was doin civil engineering/arts. I totally got the shits after 5 weeks and decided to discontinue without penalty. I was falling asleep up the back of higher chem lectures and forgetting to do the nasty statics homework.

Now ive been up on the gold coast for bout 6 weeks and lovin it. Going to the great barrier reef to get my scuba dive licence on Wednesday, just got my boat licence and then im off to Samoa for four months to start a job as a tour guide (after a quick snowboard at Mt Hutt). Straight after that im hitting the slopes in Canada, working in a ski resort for another four months. I got offered a scolarship to do law at Bond uni for mid year entry next year while i was up here. I think ill take it.

But I wouldnt have had all these opportunities unless i took the year off and had a look around. I definately dont regret starting uni, even though it totally gave me the shits and reminded me of year 12.

My only advice is to take things as they come. If u feel that it is too much in ur first few weeks of uni, take the rest of the year off. If u stay motivated and want to get somewhere in life (and want to experience something interesting apart from sitting in your loungeroom all day) then good things will come. Just look around for something that interests u. It might not be uni. If u cant decide wat the hell to at the end of the year then trust ur instincts.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Zeitgeist said:
I will be going straight to uni, too. Mainly because I'll be going for honours, a MPhil and a DPhil. Assuming I don't take any time off between the courses, that's 8-10 years before I leave uni.
Zeitgeist, I'm interested. Could you tell me more about your study plan? What exactly are you trying to get, and why?

Also, may I make the comment that if you're going for a DPhil, it's not 10 years before leaving uni - it's life. :)

Leap

free falling
HSC
I went straight to Uni, and I don't regret it for a minute. After almost 4 months of holidays I was actually really bored, so in the end I couldn't wait for Uni to start.

At the moment I'm really enjoying Uni, and I think if I'd had a year off (at one stage I planned to go and work in New Zealand) I would have regretted it. Mainly because I would hate to feel like I'd been 'left-behind' when all my friends went off to Uni, and also because I knew exactly what I wanted to do. In some ways, I would have liked to travel, but I didn't have any money for it. So now I'm planning to go travelling in the Uni holidays at the end of the year. My parents were also pushing me to go straight to Uni, because of the increase in HECs after this year.

Anyway, I really think its a personal choice. I know that I get really bored and frustrated if I don't have enough stuff occupying my time, so going straight to uni suited me.

Also, isn't there such a thing as mid-semester enrolments, so that you start in semester 2? I don't think we have that at the campus I'm on, but I know some Unis do that, so thats always an option.

J_A_S

I plan to go straight to uni unless i dont get into PR/Law or receieve a scholarship Im going to England in the 3 month period and so traveling isnt really an excuse. What you all need to do is sit down and figure out what is more important. Is your career more important or your facination with the world. If you cant travel now thats not gonna stop you later when u leave uni. Its about making the most of situations. Traveling isnt everything trust me America isnt that good its like Aust but like 5-10 times bigger. Vanawatu is ok its inteesting i guess, and new zealand is a bit like canada mixed with australia. Look im not going to tekk you travelling isnt important but just think what ur giving up?

Regards Jade

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I am in the middle of my year between school and uni...dont regret taking a year out, seeing as i didnt really know what i wanted to do...so i have this year to enjoy, and make up my mind about what i really want to do

z_morris

Why dont you study part time the first year at uni, that way you can still work and save money and keep your parents happy by still staying in that whole structured environment, it also means that you wont be finishing heaps later than your friends. First year uni is not that full on (depends on what course you do) sometime you only have classes 2 and a half days a week and thats full time (again depending on what course you do). Its not as full on as high school contact hour wise but you definately have to rely on yourself more to do school work etc.

I went straight on from highschool, (the holiday between nov and march was big enough!)and this year is my fifth year of uni straight. considering taking off a year next year before i do my masters...but at least when i stop i will have a double degree and honours behind me so i might be able to work in my field somewhere (psych). Better than being an 18 year old taking a year off with little experience and no degree, you will pretty much only be able to work in retail etc. I would go straight on to uni if i were you, you can always go on exchange, or do Industry Based Learning work during your degree as 'time off'.... hope ive given you some food for thought!! Good luck!

adsta

HSC
I took a year off, but kinda regret it because all my friends went to uni straight away. This is the last year for them, and I've still got another to go...
Then again, it was kinda cool working 2 days a week and bumming around at the beach on the other days...

*b*e*c*c*a*

hmmm....
HSC
if i go to uni i will be taking a year off to earn some cash for when i do go

my friend took a year off cause he thought it was a good option and also to earn some money

he is doing pretty good cause he has been getting a few jobs and earning lots

HSC
I don't regret not taking a year off but that's just me. I'd rather have it over and done with than spending a year not really feeling like I'm going anywhere in the middle, but of course it depends on your personal situation.

It's not always viable to move straight on, due to financial considerations or whatever, so it comes down to looking at your personal circumstances and deciding where you want to be, what expectations are feasible, and how long you'd like it to take.

(Of course only my two cents, I haven't read through all of the thread, but all the other posts I did read are also perfectly valid. I'm just sharing my personal take on things, but I guess when it comes down to it it will probably be different for everyone) :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
my classmates took a year off.. one decided to work as an orderly in a hospital.. top med student now..

go work and if u make $x in 18mths u become eligble for certain allowances..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
quite simply i would have been bored taking a year off. i couldn't wait to get to uni and delaying it a year would have been a waste of time because i would have spent the whole year thinking about the fact i could have started uni and that i would be whatever age when i finished

MoNNiE

HSC
well it's a doubled edged sword, in otherwords there is good things and bad things about each one..
personally i think after already completing a semester of university i wouldof rather just taken a year off, explored what i really wanted to do, or if i knew what i wanted to do.. get a job in that field and work! then when uni starts the following year do part time.. however, the bad side to this according to myfriend is that you have less of a social life [ i have no idea if that's correct or not].. and also it takes longer to finish your education..
on the other hand.. if you do university straight after the hsc... well i dunno.. lol.. i'm still thinking about the postives and negatives of it!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I Planned on going straight to Uni, but ended up just dropping my course and working -First as a full-time bakers apprentice, now i'm offically perminent part-time, but will end up with 30+ hours a week at the International Airport. While I don't recommed what I did - just dropping my course - the time off really does help. Apply, Defer and then go for it.

Since I dropped out, I'm startng Distance Education thru either UNE or Deakin so I can still save and travel. My trip to England is pretty much set for July next year!! Also plan on going to a Jillaroo school before them because I can, pretty much ;)

I reckon take a year off, you don't know what you want in Year 12, and time away from study can help you decide what you really want. Take 12 months or more off, and do what you really want to do -- Uni will always be here when you get back ;) even as a mature aged student ;)

DV8

HSC
Put It This Way... You'll Know By The End Of The Year If You Want To Take A Year Off Or Not. As You Can See A Lot Of Peeps Are Itchin To Get Into Their 1st Year Of Uni, And If You Feel That Way After The 1st Couple Of Weeks Off Then You Should Definately Go For It. I, On The Other Hand Knew I Needed To Take A Year Off After The HSC And I Haven't Regretted It. It Gives You A Chance To 1. Have A Break From The Continous Cycle You've Been In The Past 13 Years... CHANGE Is Good! (Oops HSC English Resurfacing.... :rolleyes: ) 2. Explore The Outside World And Reconsider Your Options, Whether It Be Your Career Options, Uni Course Or Even Which Uni. Getting Back Into The Study Routine Isn't As Difficult As People Are Making Out. If You're Interested In The Course You're Taking You've Got The Motivation. It Is However Important (As Many Peeps Have Stated) That You Still Apply And Defer Your Degree Straight After The HSC. I've Found From Talking To Peeps Here At Uni That A Lot Who Have Come Straight From The HSC Are Finding It Hard To Get Motivated And Quite A Few Failed Courses In The 1st Semester. In The End It's Gotta Be Your Decision And Believe Me, You'll Know. All The Best For Your Exams! :)

Leanne

HSC
well for me...3 months break was plenty....i was already bored shitless...and if i had of taken a yr off...even if i was working..i would have gone crazy! but then of course i'm a nerd...and feel like i'm bludging if i'm not studying...also i just want to get the course over and done with so i can start the rest of my life asap....i didnt see the point in wasting a yr at a job that i didnt really like....when i might as well be at uni working towards my dream job....
anyhoo, thats just my opinion....but i dont at all regret not taking the yr off....i'm planning to have a yr off to travel after uni anyway...and i'll be much more mature to do it too....(and legal in U.S to drink! lol)

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
J_A_S_2 said:
I plan to go straight to uni unless i dont get into PR/Law or receieve a scholarship Im going to England in the 3 month period and so traveling isnt really an excuse. What you all need to do is sit down and figure out what is more important. Is your career more important or your facination with the world. If you cant travel now thats not gonna stop you later when u leave uni. Its about making the most of situations. Traveling isnt everything trust me America isnt that good its like Aust but like 5-10 times bigger. Vanawatu is ok its inteesting i guess, and new zealand is a bit like canada mixed with australia. Look im not going to tekk you travelling isnt important but just think what ur giving up?

Regards Jade
I'm still in yr 12 and I'm pretty sure that I'll talk next year off. My reasons are varied, from I have no idea what I want to do, to I want to visit so many places. Plus, I went one exchange in yr 10 and had such a great time, I want that freedom again. Just a question ot Jade, What exactly do u mean y "what ur giving up?" I think that's the wrong frame of mind to look at this from. It's not what you're giving up, but rather what you're gaining.
I also don't think you need to make a choice between career and your fascination with the world. Why can't you have both?
Then you said that America isn't that good and Vanuatu is ok, but not great...but surely that's something that you have to make up for yourself? In my opinion, what better time to it than between high school and uni.

J_A_S

Katjif said:
I'm still in yr 12 and I'm pretty sure that I'll talk next year off. My reasons are varied, from I have no idea what I want to do, to I want to visit so many places. Plus, I went one exchange in yr 10 and had such a great time, I want that freedom again. Just a question ot Jade, What exactly do u mean y "what ur giving up?" I think that's the wrong frame of mind to look at this from. It's not what you're giving up, but rather what you're gaining.
I also don't think you need to make a choice between career and your fascination with the world. Why can't you have both?
Then you said that America isn't that good and Vanuatu is ok, but not great...but surely that's something that you have to make up for yourself? In my opinion, what better time to it than between high school and uni.

I just think that people should see it in a different way. You need to get into the workforce when you are young as when you get older they have to pay you more and who is going to pay more for a person when they can get it cheaper with teh same qualifications? Travelling is an experience that people should experience however i think it would be a better option for people to get a career and with that money travel, the experience would be a lot better cuz ud have more money aswell and you have learnt from experiences and will appreciate things a lot more. If you dont know what u wanna do then sure travel because you would have wasted that year anyway. If you dont know what you wanna do then sure use a year but i would never suggest that people who know what they wanna de deffer it cuz its proven that even after 2 weeks the brain changes and so getting back into study will be very difficult after a year. Plus the lack of money that you would have earned in that year will affect your outlook on life too. Only the individual knows whats best but you should take into consideration all the reasons for and against it. For some its a cop out some people dont go to uni in that year cuz tehy wanna be lazy and so travelling seems to fill the time as they dont have to work . Ultimately its up to you

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
Yes I agree, it's up to the individual. But I have many friends (the majority of my friends are in first or second year uni) who knew exactly what they wanted to do (namely courses like medicine and arts/law), yet decided what they wanted a year off. I don't think your comment "Travelling is an experience that people should experience however i think it would be a better option for people to get a career and with that money travel, the experience would be a lot better cuz ud have more money aswell and you have learnt from experiences and will appreciate things a lot more. If you dont know what u wanna do then sure travel because you would have wasted that year anyway" is justified.

Having money does NOT in any way, make travelling "better" or more enticing. In fact, most travellers agree that they most exciting and fun times they had travelling, were when they were young and broke.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to have a go at you, I work for a travel company (student exchange) and don't understand your sentiment. Of course, I agree taking a year off is up to the individual, but saying that travelling is better when you have a career and money, is something I struggle to fathom. And by struggling more, wouldn't you appreciate things more, if you have to struggle and work your ass off to get them? For me, I know that's the case, so next year when I work for 6months to make money, then travel for 7months, all the while working as well, I think I will appreciate where I get to. No, I know I will appreciate it.

What does everyone else think? Is having money essential to having a good time whilst travelling?

Last edited:

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Takin' the year off

I'm doing the HSC this year & next year I'm going to France for a year on exchange. This is a good option for me coz u actually go to school and meet ppl your own age (and actually DO stuff, not bum around) and also there isn't the pressure to get marks. Also, I leave in January, so its not like I'm sitting around for months doing nothing. It's a holiday, but not the kind of holiday where you accomplish nothing. I reckon the year off is a good idea if you'll commit yourself to something constructive and are willing to maybe change your mind about what u really want 2 do. Seeing the world gives us new perspectives on things and maybe I'll find a career path I never even thought of.
I think keeping your options open is a good idea at a young age.

melancolley

All these people saying they don't want to be too old when they finsih uni. Too old for what? As for the 'If I take a year off, I won't go' people, if you don't want to go to uni after a year off, you probably shouldn't go anyway. I've heard too many old people regret not going and seeing the world. The sad fact is, you'll go straight from uni to full-time work every year of your life until you're 65 and get the sack because you're too old and decrepit to keep up with the the slightly younger sad bastards you work with till you end up wishing you'd taken that damn year off to go and see the world while you still could. So take a year off!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)