Waitttt .. (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Okay I've been using SAM for a while now. But the thing is, I've heard that your UAI is based on your ranking within all of those who do the same subject as you rather than just the marks you get.

If this is so, how does SAM work?

Apparantly, if I was to do Standard English, SAM says I should get a better UAI than if I do Advanced (Note: this is only between certain marks). But according to some statistics, me being in the top 25% of Advanced will give me a better UAI than being in the top 1% in Standard.

Explain?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Lodgic said:
SAM works by comparing your score to what other people in the past got for their UAIs. In that respect, the system is not efficient in terms of your ranking and i've known people who got UAIs off by 20UAI points than that detected by SAM. In conclusion, the system is flawed.

:) hope that helps lol
ah yay ! thank you for replying.

for me, I've only heard of positive things about SAM and how close they actually got to their actual UAI.

so therefore your UAI is based on your ranking rather than your actual marks right?

HSC
its accurate if you put the right numbers in. but people never put the right numbers in. how the BoS actually get those numbers is quite complicated. youre probably going to have to do a search on how its calculated because its quite a lot to explain if you don't really understand *anything*.

i will say this: rankings are more important than marks, ranking has more of an influence on your uai than marks do (but getting good marks is important too) and if you enter your raw marks into the SAM your prediction will always be way off.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
yeah I'm pretty sure I know how they work out the UAI. After I've gotten all the numbers somebody has given me, I'm sure I could accurately work it out.

I was just confused on whether it was the marks or the ranks that ultimately decided your UAI.

Just one case. If I was going to get a 92 in IPT, but like 50% of the state beat me, I wouldn't get a mark in the 90's for IPT counted into my UAI would I? Although the mark for IPT should be in the band 6 range right?

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
yeah I'm pretty sure I know how they work out the UAI. After I've gotten all the numbers somebody has given me, I'm sure I could accurately work it out.

I was just confused on whether it was the marks or the ranks that ultimately decided your UAI.

Just one case. If I was going to get a 92 in IPT, but like 50% of the state beat me, I wouldn't get a mark in the 90's for IPT counted into my UAI would I? Although the mark for IPT should be in the band 6 range right?
that *somebody* who gives you the right numbers is the board of studies. after that you can put them into SAM and give a good prediction. obviously with knowledge of moderation and stuff you can try and predict it but yeah its a whole lot of guesswork.

marks are important but ranks are really what determine your uai. its the whole scaling concept, using a system to put all the subjects on the same level, taking into consideration the difficulty, performance of the students in the subject and stuff like that.

scaling negates the advantage of doing "easy" subjects so everyone picks the subjects they want and get the uai they deserve.

in that theoretical case ipt would scale down in uai calculations because any subject that scores you less than the state average for that subject scales you down. as to how much i couldn't tell you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)