WAM and GPA ?? (1 Viewer)

elfm

HSC
GPA sucks :) WAM is a much more fair (and accurate) system imo

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
Since i only have first year results it seems that my WAM is just my average.

Do they end up weighting years or subjects differently further down the track?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
So GPA = F, P, C, D, HD ?

It's just that a requirement of me keeping a scholarship at UNSW is "an average of 80%", which I'm guessing means a mid-D average :confused:

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It's just that a requirement of me keeping a scholarship at UNSW is "an average of 80%", which I'm guessing means a mid-D average :confused:
Correct - and it refers to your WAM. UNSW calculates it for you every semester.

You shouldn't struggle too much.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
Correct - and it refers to your WAM. UNSW calculates it for you every semester.

You shouldn't struggle too much.
Ok, cool :)

I'm guessing the uni will review my scholarship status every semester then, and renew it if I've got an average of 80%.

Btw. would that average be calculated across all four S1 subjects, despite the fact that one of them is a Law subject and the other three are from the FCE?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Btw. would that average be calculated across all four S1 subjects, despite the fact that one of them is a Law subject and the other three are from the FCE?
Yes.

It's not really valid, and I whinge about it all the time, but that's what they do.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I'm guessing the uni will review my scholarship status every semester then, and renew it if I've got an average of 80%.

what will really bake your cookie is when, as you progress through the combined law program, you begin to do 2, then 3, then 4 law subjects a semester and will have to keep a term WAM of 80 ;)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Frigid said:
what will really bake your cookie is when, as you progress through the combined law program, you begin to do 2, then 3, then 4 law subjects a semester and will have to keep a term WAM of 80 ;)
Yea...I'm not exactly looking forward to 4th and 5th years, where I have to do 8 difficult Law subjects but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I reach it :p - do you reckon Law is much harder than Com?

I get the feeling that the uni will lower the bar to 75 eventually...imo they've set the bar fairly high to challenge the students, but given that we're the first group to be awarded this scholarship I think minor changes will be made over the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
do you reckon Law is much harder than Com?

I get the feeling that the uni will lower the bar to 75 eventually...imo they've set the bar fairly high to challenge the students, but given that we're the first group to be awarded this scholarship I think minor changes will be made over the next 5 years.
law is more challenging. but at the same time, more engaging. :)

and i don't think they will lower the bar, because a WAM of 80 in other undergrad degrees is certainly possible (i've seen very high engineering and science WAMs), so no, unless they make law an exception.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Frigid said:
law is more challenging. but at the same time, more engaging. :)

and i don't think they will lower the bar, because a WAM of 80 in other undergrad degrees is certainly possible (i've seen very high engineering and science WAMs), so no, unless they make law an exception.
Yea, good point.
Although that's slightly unfair, given that each faculty will have different standards and will be of differing degrees of difficulty. Nonetheless, from what I've heard a vast majority of the scholarship-holders are heading for Law so I guess we'll see what happens :)

Btw. would you say Law is more challenging in that you have to put more thought into it and that it doesn't just require memorising and regurgitating info, as opposed to other courses? What actually makes law more challenging? I've always just accepted that it's difficult without asking why people say that...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)