WAM boosters (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Basically have some electives hanging around and think its always handy to boost your WAM. What are some WAM boosters?

Im not asking for a subject which ensures a good mark with no effort but rather a subject with a manageable workload and not too complicated content i.e. a subject that is easy to do well on with some degree of application.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I'd recommend Introductory Logic (PHIL1012). While probably not as easy to ace as something like WRIT subjects, it is pretty easy if you put in the work. Plus the assessment distribution is quite friendly and it is relevant to other areas like mathematics or computer science.

I ended up getting 95 so that boosted my WAM up a shitload :).

Hatake88

HSC
Gender studies. I have a couple of friends who do it and it really is a snore.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd recommend Introductory Logic (PHIL1012). While probably not as easy to ace as something like WRIT subjects, it is pretty easy if you put in the work. Plus the assessment distribution is quite friendly and it is relevant to other areas like mathematics or computer science.

I ended up getting 95 so that boosted my WAM up a shitload :).
Yeah, I agree. If you put in some effort, you can get 85+. I got 81 but really, my effort was minimal compared to my other subjects and Amleops can probably confirm this - my lecture attendance wasn't perfect and I didn't really do any work outside the 5 minute assessments.

But yeah, otherwise, WRIT1000/1001 - Nooblet94 can confirm this.

drewbles

HSC
Uni Grad
Possibly Introductory Macroeconomics (ECON1002), based on what others have said. Just make sure you're able to do more first year level courses before you enrol in them :D

Hatake88

HSC
Possibly Introductory Macroeconomics (ECON1002), based on what others have said. Just make sure you're able to do more first year level courses before you enrol in them :D
Disagree. One of ECON1002's assessment had a 55% median and the average for the entire course is only a pass. I just got my marks for ECON1002 yesterday so I can say, while its the not the hardest course, it certainly isn't the easiest.

witide

HSC
PHIL2642 Critical Thinking doesn't give away marks, but it's not difficult to get least a distinction. It's also not a junior unit and doesn't have any specific prerequisites.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah, I agree. If you put in some effort, you can get 85+. I got 81 but really, my effort was minimal compared to my other subjects and Amleops can probably confirm this - my lecture attendance wasn't perfect and I didn't really do any work outside the 5 minute assessments.
You didn't even buy the textbook until the last week and you still did well :p. So really, it's not that difficult a unit.

PHIL2642 Critical Thinking doesn't give away marks, but it's not difficult to get least a distinction. It's also not a junior unit and doesn't have any specific prerequisites.
You will need 12 junior Philosophy credit points to do PHIL2642. But yeah I did the equivalent of this unit at another uni, so this would be good too later down the track if you still have some space free.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Ah alright so PHIL1022 and WRIT1000. Any other first year subjects?
Anthropology and sociology units are pretty good (and they are both equally interesting units) but I would recommend SLSS1001 or SLSS1003 if you studied legal studies back in high school (an easy final exam but not so easy assessments). But WRIT1000 and WRIT1001 are definitely a good choice for a WAM boost. :D

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Never did legal studies. Thanks though
Not gonna lie though all these WAM boosters so far sound pretty boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)