WAM, GPA, which? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just looking over this thread again, i've noticed that all different unis use GPA or WAM averaged with your UAI and some without consideration of your UAI.
Does anyone know which system the following uni's use:

+ Sydney Uni
+ UNSW
+ UTS
+ Macquarie University

?

And also, with WAM calculation, I failed a subject with a mark of 47, would they calculate this when figuring out my WAM or exclude it and divide my total marks by the no of subjects i attempted throughout the 2 semesters?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It's hard to say, because different faculties within the same uni may also use different methods (ie Commerce @ UNSW takes the higher or UAI or first year uni results, which differ to other faculties @ UNSW)

HSC
Minai said:
It's hard to say, because different faculties within the same uni may also use different methods (ie Commerce @ UNSW takes the higher or UAI or first year uni results, which differ to other faculties @ UNSW)
oh right... thanks for your help!

to be more specific then, do you (or anyone else reading) know what the business faculty of the aforementioned uni's?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Be aware that your WAM is not used in transfer calculations, only your GPA is

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Be aware that your WAM is not used in transfer calculations, only your GPA is
okay, thanks for the clarification. i appreciate it :)
what is WAM used for then ?:confused:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Usually internal university matters. For example, some universities require a WAM of 75+ for honours to be awarded.

Additionally, it can be a convenient indicator of how well you are performing.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you're transferring internally @ MQ, then they'll take your GPA.

If you're transferring externally, then its a mixture of WAM/GPA and UAI

M@C D@DDY

HSC
i was just wondering some unis have diff range of marks for grades... eg ANU has 60-70 as a credit and 70-80 as a D... do the unis take that into account when the calculate your GPA... it just seems unfair if i got like 3 74s.... because my aim at that particular uni would be to scrap into the 0s... if u know what i mean... rather than the conventional 4 to a 5 so as to increase my grades.... it just seems to me that the system is unfair

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
a WAM is calculated based on your scores (74. 64, etc)

GPA is calculated on your mark-band (P, Credit, Dis, etc)

M@C D@DDY

HSC
yeh i know and most unis use GPA.... but my qs is do they take into account the fact that the uni you are at currently uses a diff band system for grading

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't get your question, if you're transferring uni's it has to be done through UAC.

UAC uses your WAM, which is calculated through your marks NOT your GPA, to issue you with a NRSL.

TRANSFERRING TO MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY

Generally students who wish to transfer to Macquarie University after a period of study at another university, TAFE Institute or private college apply through UAC. Macquarie University applies an algorithm that combines both the student’s UAI and the results of their tertiary studies. The result of this calculation is known as the Selection Rank. Students should note that this calculation could result in a Selection Rank, which is significantly different to their UAI. The Selection Rank may be higher or lower than the UAI depending on the level of results achieved in tertiary study.

Macquarie University has examined its procedures in calculating the Selection Rank and has amended the algorithm used. Students who have completed a half-year of tertiary study or less will be selected based on the best of their tertiary study or their latest secondary or bridging rank. (UAI or equivalent)

This means that students who attempt up to six months tertiary study and seek to apply or re-apply through UAC will not be penalised for any poor results gained in their tertiary studies. Rather the amended algorithm allows the original UAI or the Selection Rank to be used as the selection criterion for entry to the University, whichever is the higher.

If a student has done more than a half-year of study the amended algorithm does not apply to them. Their Selection Rank will be assessed by a combination of both the UAI and their tertiary study results.
Please note that students who wish to change programs within the University will continue to apply through the University internal transfer policy.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
I don't get your question, if you're transferring uni's it has to be done through UAC.

UAC uses your WAM, which is calculated through your marks NOT your GPA, to issue you with a NRSL.
Actually the UAC uses your GPA to calculate your NRSL rank.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My mistake, i was under the impression they used WAM :S

That is interesting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)