wam question (1 Viewer)

HSC
a little birdy told me that your overall wam (ie when you graduate) does NOT count first year subjects? is this true? like they obviously appear on your transcript but overall doesnt count?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Then the birdy should be hunted and killed.

From the very first day, even year you enter university, every single mark contributes to your degree's WAM. It will of course be weighted and changed after each and every semester.

But in Academic Transcripts, each semester's WAM will not be showed, only what mark and grade you received for each subject for each semester. [Your Academic Transcript will show only marks and grades, whereas your Web Transcript will show your semester WAMs.]

Depending upon your degree and if you DO NOT do Honours, and if your final WAM is higher than 75, then you achive a i.e. Bachelor of Commerce at Distinction Level.
If your wam is 74 or below, you achieve a degree at pass level.

For Science degrees without Honours though I don't think they award you with distinction level even if your final WAM is over 75.

elfm

HSC
for most honours courses (at least in engineering anyway) first year subjects only count for 10% of your internal school mark

yeah but what your friend said was totally wrong

JackyS

HSC
Another question, what if i did for example accounting1A, and i failed. i retake the course the next semester... how would this affect my WAM and transcript?! does the new mark replace the old mark?!?!

also, i did a science course, for sem1, but now i have dropped science... how does this affect my wam/transcript?!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Your WAM will have identical weighting applied to subjects irrespective of the year (the weighting is solely in the number of credit points). In figuring out Honours class, however, there may be extra weighting applied to later years.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh there is 3 different classes of honours.

first class, second class and third class.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
ALL of this stuff depends on the faculty/schools involved
your 'wam' (one that appears on your online transcript) which some academics would still call your nss wam is just weighted by units of credit (ie. 100 in a 6 unit course and 50 in a 3 unit course is a wam of 83)

there is also independant faculty / school wams which use their own little formulas. for example some engineering schools weight it 10% first year, 20% second, etc.. whereas finance or some commerce may only include 2nd or 3rd year FINS / other courses and make their own little wam from that to form a selection rank for students (entyr to hons etc)

it is meaningless saying 'there is 3 different classes of honors' and 'there's no 3rd class'
in some faculties its 1st class hons, 2nd class div 1, 2nd class div 2
others include a clearly defined grade called 'third class' (i.e. 55% to 65% in management hons)
others can interchange third class and 'pass degree'
for degrees where there is a research componen tin final year (e.g. engineering) where you don't fall into a certain honors class your degree may be known as a pass degree in..

gman03

HSC
to OP:

really, who cares. if you stuff up first year well tuff luck and move on. work harder in the following session and average out the bad marks. no point guessing "does first year not count" or "how to remove FAILs from transcript" or "can I buy 1st class honours"... MEH, just do your best.

elfm

HSC
most employers don't care if you do shit in first year. my friend had moderately bad marks (a couple of fails) in his first year but has made up for it by doing substantially better in his latter years. in his interview, the interviewer understood that he was just adjusting to uni and that it didn't affect anything at all

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
gman03 speaks the truth. He is also probably a future university medal holder :p
They have already engraved his name onto a medal. They are just waiting for his graduation to hand it out to him...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)