WAM reset 2nd year? (1 Viewer)

Confound

HSC
How would it work when I transfer into unsw 2nd year from a different uni? Would my gpa/average mark from 1st year reset or would it stay the same and just continue?

For e.g. average is 85 = 4.0/4.0 Gpa at MQU. Will my unsw wam be 85 after credit transfer? or will it reset from scratch?
How does it work

D94

HSC
N/A
Start from scratch.

Courses that are transferable will just be listed on your transcript as being completed with no mark or grade.

Confound

HSC
wow really? no mark or grade? wow so I literally busted ass for nothing wow

D94

HSC
N/A
There is no guarantee you will get a spot at UNSW, hence doing as well as possible will put you in a competitive position.

Also note that it's possible that not all courses are transferable so you might need to do some first year courses to catch up.

Confound

HSC
i've checked all of my courses are transferable. And how competitive can commerce actually get? it reqs 75 and i'm sure 85 would make the cut lol

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
How would it work when I transfer into unsw 2nd year from a different uni? Would my gpa/average mark from 1st year reset or would it stay the same and just continue?

For e.g. average is 85 = 4.0/4.0 Gpa at MQU. Will my unsw wam be 85 after credit transfer? or will it reset from scratch?
How does it work
WAM resets.

The GPA and WAM conversions aren't always that simple either.

UTS uses a slightly different 4.0 GPA scale but like, in my first semester - I had a 3.5~ GPA (D average) yet an 85 WAM (HD average).

A 4.0 GPA can mean 85-100 WAM (according to the UTS scale). So in essence, you can have the same WAM as someone but a different GPA and vice versa.

Well, you can probably include your MACQ first year GPA (and/or marks), if you think it's impressive/worth mentioning, on your CV - so in that way, it's not totally for nothing.

Last edited:

Confound

HSC
nekminnit minimum external cut off 90 average. ggnore

D94

HSC
N/A
i've checked all of my courses are transferable. And how competitive can commerce actually get? it reqs 75 and i'm sure 85 would make the cut lol
Sure, but that's only indicative. If there is literally zero spots available, even being on 100 won't make a difference. (but you should be accepted)

It's your choice to transfer, so yes it might seem your hard work is wasted, but had you screwed up somewhere, you might not be able to transfer AND you would have a low GPA. I think the trade off is worth it.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
nekminnit minimum external cut off 90 average. ggnore
From what I think - they'll look at GPA (not WAM), so it's maybe actually favourable that you go to MACQ (since a D and HD are both 4 as a grade point)?

Confound

HSC
WAM resets.

The GPA and WAM conversions aren't always that simple either.

UTS uses a slightly different 4.0 GPA scale but like, in my first semester - I had a 3.5~ GPA (D average) yet an 85 WAM (HD average).

A 4.0 GPA can mean 85-100 WAM (according to the UTS scale). So in essence, you can have the same WAM as someone but a different GPA and vice versa.

Well, you can probably include your MACQ first year GPA (and/or marks), if you think it's impressive/worth mentioning, on your CV - so in the way, it's not totally for nothing.
Yeah true higher gpa doesn't necessarily mean higher average

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
A 4.0 GPA should get you into UNSW Commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)