WAM to ATAR conversion (1 Viewer)

RyanT7

HSC
I'm aware that a GPA of 6 = 96 ATAR, according to the gpa to atar conversion people usually refer to

But anyone have any idea what a WAM of 75 usually translates to in terms of ATAR ?

Does each uni have different conversion for this, or is UAC in charge of this process ?

sida1049

HSC
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a general deterministic mapping that a university would use to convert WAMs to ATARs or visa versa. It doesn't really make sense to, as doing so would involve a huge loss of information. For example, there would be correlations between WAMs and ATARs depending on the specific course, university, variance in between the years, et cetera. There are people with 98+ ATAR with credit averages, and people with 80-ish ATAR with HD averages at uni.

RyanT7

HSC
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a general deterministic mapping that a university would use to convert WAMs to ATARs or visa versa. It doesn't really make sense to, as doing so would involve a huge loss of information. For example, there would be correlations between WAMs and ATARs depending on the specific course, university, variance in between the years, et cetera. There are people with 98+ ATAR with credit averages, and people with 80-ish ATAR with HD averages at uni.
Yeah, it makes sense why they wouldn't do it but it 100% happens.

Confirmed with UNSW that this happens multiple times, so I was seeking more information.

Thanks for the response

sida1049

HSC
Yeah, it makes sense why they wouldn't do it but it 100% happens.

Confirmed with UNSW that this happens multiple times, so I was seeking more information.

Thanks for the response
Yeah. I mean they have to make judgments based on your WAM, but I just doubt that there's a clear-cut method being used. It probs makes more sense most of the time to go "hmmm this dude has 77.8 wam so they'll probs be fine *sends out offer*" rather than "77.8<78.0 ⇒ *reject*".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)