Wanna study ext2 maths (1 Viewer)

JJV

HSC
For people who have done ext. 2 maths,
Ive just finished my hsc this yr and I did ext.1 maths.
Ive got q's here is it possible to study ext2 maths alone bcoz i wanna study it during the holiday.
Have u got any good suggestions that can enable me to understand ext2 maths quicker.
Thanks heaps =]

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Why do you want to study Extension 2 Maths?
Are you planning to do a science degree next year?
If you're good at Maths and understand the concepts in great depth, then it probably would be possible to learn the entire course on your own.
Just like any Maths course, I would advise you to do lots of questions to assist your learning...

JJV

HSC
Because Im interested in doing Actuarial Studies Course and i know that it requires a high level of knowledge of maths especially 4 u maths. So I think It would be worth it in studying it as I never learnt any of it bfr.

ecstasylove

HSC
uh, dont know about anybody else, but i definitely could not have done the 4u course by myself. i needed tutoring and we had about 9 x 80min periods per week.

if you can grasp things quickly then you might as well give it a shot.

you might want to ask one of your friends who have done 4u for their notes (my whole entire class did really detailed notes which were pretty much step by step so im assuming other people did as well?) and see if you understand any of it.

good luck.

P

pLuvia

By the looks for your signature, 4u maths won't be that necessary for the acst course at MACQ. The maths you do in your 1st year will only have complex numbers and integration by parts as the topics from the HSC 4u maths and that's about it. They recommend you having a high level of maths knowledge as you do some hard number crunching subjects especially in the 2nd semester which has a subject that is all probability/combinatorics but really you don't need 4u maths.

But if you were going to learn it by yourself, learn the complex numbers topic and integration topic, the polynomial topic and practice the Harder 3u topics that would help you to get passed those 1st year maths subjects

nathanernest

HSC
Well, I was the only person in my school doing 4u and I didn't have any trouble at all.

Use fitzpatrick and Cambridge, and practice. It's really not that hard. Except for the tough questions at the end of the HSC exam but that doesn't really count as 4u cause it supposed to be much harder. It can be done.

But as pLuvia said. You dont really need to. Actuarial Studies is stats

loser101

HSC
if you r doing actuarial, definitly do 4unit maths. it will make life much easier at uni.

what mark do u get in 2u and 3u maths, u really need to be scoring 90+ in 2u and 3u to consider 4u maths.

study 4u maths alone without any explanation is quite difficult, i hate reading textbooks and formulas. i rather learn them or learn how to derive them.

start on complex numbers if you want. its probably the easiest part of the 4u course.

and looking at your other subjects, i wouls say 4u maths is a pre-requisite for you to get a UAI of 95+ as most your subject are really on the lower end of the scaling process

WHY is it a good idea to study 4 unit maths?

1. you do the same 1 unit exam that the 3unit students do. but for that 1 unit of study you get 2 units!!! and considering the excellent grading that that 1 unit in 3u gets, its a huge bonus. its like double scaling.

2. you do another additional 1 unit in 4unit maths, but again that extra 1 unit counts as 2 units.

i.e your only really doing 2 units, but you get to have 4 units of a very very higly scale subject count towards your uai.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Definitely study 4u maths if your school offers it.

If you plan to do it by yourself - well, that's up to you. I reckon I could have gotten an 80 easily studying it by myself (what's that, 30 to 40% raw perhaps?). The only parts I needed the teacher for were mechanics, probability, conics and graphing (easy, but can be confusing) - even then, I skipped all the probability and mechanics questions and half of the conics ones in the external exam.

So yeah. It depends on your motivation and ability.

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Slidey said:
Definitely study 4u maths if your school offers it.

If you plan to do it by yourself - well, that's up to you. I reckon I could have gotten an 80 easily studying it by myself (what's that, 30 to 40% raw perhaps?). The only parts I needed the teacher for were mechanics, probability, conics and graphing (easy, but can be confusing) - even then, I skipped all the probability and mechanics questions and half of the conics ones in the external exam.

So yeah. It depends on your motivation and ability.
What was your HSC mark for ext2? Plus your UAI? Plz, don't hesitate to tell me. I'd appreciate any info except for any extra miscellaneous complaints.:wave:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Undermyskin said:
What was your HSC mark for ext2? Plus your UAI? Plz, don't hesitate to tell me. I'd appreciate any info except for any extra miscellaneous complaints.:wave:
Yeah, um, its generally rude to ask a uni student their UAI.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
S1M0 said:
Yeah, um, its generally rude to ask a uni student their UAI.
Oops...really? Why tho? Just pretend I don't know this, ok?

Tell me...:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)