want to drop maths but dont know i should ---> help pls! (1 Viewer)

welbeck11

HSC
hey,

so i'm in yr 12 now and i want to do a double degree in science/commerce at UNSW/USYD or science/business at UTS next year ...

i am doing well in all of my subjects EXCEPT MATHS (and i absolutely HATE maths)

I was wondering if i could drop maths now, concentrate on my other subjects, get the atar i want and then do a maths bridging course because the courses i want to do require maths as assumed knowledge ...

but i have a few questions:

1) will the ppl who offer uni spots feel less inclined to offer me a place in science/commerce at UNSW/USYD or science/business at UTS if i have not done HSC maths

2) is it too late to drop

thank you

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you currently hate Maths, whilst taking it nice and slowly etc, then how do you think you will feel when you cram 1-2 year's worth into a couple of weeks (if even) ?

Shooky_Nooky

HSC
Uni Grad
hey,

so i'm in yr 12 now and i want to do a double degree in science/commerce at UNSW/USYD or science/business at UTS next year ...

i am doing well in all of my subjects EXCEPT MATHS (and i absolutely HATE maths)

I was wondering if i could drop maths now, concentrate on my other subjects, get the atar i want and then do a maths bridging course because the courses i want to do require maths as assumed knowledge ...

1) will the ppl who offer uni spots feel less inclined to offer me a place in science/commerce at UNSW/USYD or science/business at UTS if i have not done HSC maths

thank you
1) Well, I think for that course they'd pretty much accept you as long as you get the required ATAR that they require :)
2) It's probably not too late to drop, but you just have to make sure you have enough units that you can rely on them for the adequate marks required for your course... and Yeah, you'll pretty much get in if you get above the ATAR cut-off and do the bridging course before sem 1 next year (I think)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hey,

thank you
1) No, it is strictly based on ATAR (and any other applicable merits)

2) No.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you currently hate Maths, whilst taking it nice and slowly etc, then how do you think you will feel when you cram 1-2 year's worth into a couple of weeks (if even) ?
That, and you go at a dizzying pace in maths at uni. If you can't handle High School Maths, then... unless you're beating the odds - you're going to be crucified in uni maths. They go through material very quickly.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
OP, you have to also consider that the standard university maths units in first year are on par with Extension 2.

What are you thinking of majoring in university?

welbeck11

HSC
What are you thinking of majoring in university?
i was thinking biomedical science or something with chemistry for the science degree and i am not to sure what to do for business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)