Wanting to do B Bus/B Sc IT (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
So I missed out on it by 0.25 (with bonus points). So I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to transfer if I do well enough. I looked at the subjects of a friend, she basically does the same bscit subjects at 1/2 the rate. So what was being explained to me today was that if I transferred, I'd have done the 2nd year Bscit subjects (for the double degree) and i could focus on the business subjects.

Anyway, is it reasonable to have a chance to transfer, or is it one of those "You probably wont unless you try outrageously hard".

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
It's not terribly difficult-- you'd probably need to maintain a credit average. I know back in 2009 students needed a high-credit to transfer into BBus from BScIT/BBus. Maybe speaking to an academic advisor would be profitable for you.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
To clarify, I'm in BScIT and I want to be in BScIT/BBus, not just BBus. Wouldn't this be slightly easier than just a direct transfer to BBus?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Yeah, that's what I was saying-- sorry, I realise I was unclear. To reiterate, because it took a high credit average (71-74, thereabouts)to get into BBus from BBus/BscIT, and the cutoff for BBus was higher than the combined degree (around 6 points higher), it may have been, at that time, a low-mid credit average (65-70)to get into the combined BBus/BscIT course. Assuming not much has changed, it should still be a low-mid credit average to get from BScIT to BBus/BScIT, but that's just a guess.

As it stands, you were very close to the cut-off to begin with, and they may take that into account, also.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Fair enough. I could've just gotten one or two more marks in a subject and it would've been glorious :D

spoonbender

HSC
I got into BBus/BScit but in case I find that the workload is too much, will I be able to pull out of Business before the census date?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I got into BBus/BScit but in case I find that the workload is too much, will I be able to pull out of Business before the census date?
Unfortunately, no, since UTS and the UAC view the combined course as one course, meaning that if you want to drop business, you'll have to drop the entire thing. If you find the workload too intensive, you can apply for an internal course transfer which is open to
an undergraduate student, in a Commonwealth supported place, wishing to withdraw from a part of a combined degree.
I believe ICTs are open every half a year, so if after your first semester you're not liking the combined degree, but you do well in IT, you can drop the business half. If you pass your business subjects before switching, they will become electives in the BScIT course (which means you won't be any further behind than had you just taken BScIT to begin with).

Now, that said, the work-load for the combined degree is of equal 'intensity' to the single BScIT. You still take 4 subjects of about 3 hours each (your semesters will be between 12-16 hours/week), and if you enjoy business as much as IT, there should not be too much that's difficult for you. The only real difference in intensity would be the extra year... but you wouldn't know how that would feel by the census date =D

spoonbender

HSC
Oh, I didn't know they were the same. Still, business looks hard lol. I'll see how I go, but if they're the same I might as well just stick with the combined if I can. Thanks for that! :D

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
The business part isnt that hard. Accounting was a bit of a bitch tho. But the rest were alrite and kindda fun tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)