• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

wanting to do full fee law @ USYD/UNSW (1 Viewer)

imteaz

sths'05
HSC
i noe wont get a uai of 99.6 or 99.3 to get hecs for combined law at USYD or UNSW so i want to get thru by paying full fees, something like $20 000/year. my parents arent that loaded, but are willing to help me out in paying for it so im quite greatful, but im in kind of a moral dilemma, i dont it is really fair getting into law with a lower uai (2004 lowest entry @ usyd was 96.15) for the other people who dont have the money - but still have uai's of like 99.00....im pretty confident of getting a uai of 96.5+ but not sure what to do...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Why dont you just try a different Uni like Western Syd which abt 90...thats what I am aiming 4...or do a transfer $12 000 per year extra is A LOT of money to spend, when there are alternatives :)

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i thought the entry for usyd law fee paying was like uai 98?

oh well...

yes as melsc said, transferring is an option for you, just keep your options semi open because you never know how things will turn out at the end of the day

Cab31

HSC
The second round cut off was lower than 98 i think.

You can always start out as a full fee paying student and try to transfer into a hecs place.

Last edited:
HSC
okay first off...
is law the only career path you're set on? that might be why your parents are so willing to suport you on it? because its your only option.
I think maybe you should consider your other options...have law downs as first pref if you want, then consider another path like business or something.
That is what I'm doing...i was aiming for law...but realistically...no. So i'm gonna do a business degree first then enter law in a couple of years as a graduate entry...or transfer after a year.

hope tht helps :p

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Just go to UWS! It's a good (enough) law school, if u want u can get good marks and do a postgrad at usyd or something like that (i guess?)

jenyyy

its really not the end of the world if you don't get into law usyd or unsw and theres plenty of other options.. heres a summary of what i think:

1. well firstly - how much do you want to do law? and why? ask yourself questions such as: do you want to practise law? is it a passion? or are u merely doing it for prestige? also, if you research the job salaries of lawyers (go to gradlink or something) you'll realise that law's reputation of earning you shxtloads of money is not much more than a facade. not only that - its a quite a demanding subject. don't spend the next five years of ur tertiary edu wasting your time and energy on something you won't enjoy doing.

2. why don't you look into other unis which offer law - such as macq, uws or uts. i think they all offer law as a hecs course with a lower uai entry - this will save your parents (or you. who ever is paying) the great financial burden of full fees. sure, usyd and unsw have bragging rights and high degree of prestige - but a law degree is a law degree no matter which uni you end up going to.

3. yeah i totally agree - the uai entry system has its flaws. people may miss out on their courses by like 0.05 but i guess this system is as fair as anyone can make it thus far. i guess it's just tough if you didnt achieve the uai score high enough but hey - i repeat - theres many alternatives

4. as a full fee student you have to take into consideration you're in a class where the majority are 99+ hecs students. whether this type of competition/pressure is bothersome is up to you to decide.

5. if you want to transfer from full fee to hecs in ur second year - go research how hard such a transfer is - and if u dont manage to transfer, will you be able to fund your entire degree as a full fee student? thats gotta be pricey

6. also, youve got to run the chance that if you fail a law subject you may have to do that subject again. which means youve got to pay - AGAIN.

anyways, theres my opinion - hope it helped! btw for the record im a macq law student, bt i tried to be as unbiased as poss! :)

Abbeygale

HSC
jenjen_pussykat said:
4. as a full fee student you have to take into consideration you're in a class where the majority are 99+ hecs students. whether this type of competition/pressure is bothersome is up to you to decide.
Just to be contrary- I went to a law day at UNSW, and one of the professors (or maybe one of the students, I don't know) offered the opinion that some of the best students didn't originally make the UAI cutoff, but gained entry via other means.

richz

yes i must agree, just do it somewhere else and get a transfer later.

Cab31

HSC
yeah but u run the risk of not being able to transfer.
IF you dont get in after 1 year, then u have to do it post grad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)