Wanting to transfer into the SEng/Arts Degree (1 Viewer)

rrueda

HSC
So I was offered, and accepted, the Software Engineering course at UNSW for 2013 but am now wanting to do the Software Engineering/Arts dual degree instead (picking up Korean or Japanese). Could someone possibly explain how I would go about doing this? (ie, who to talk to, when i could do it) If it makes a difference, my atar is 94.95.

Cheers.

D94

HSC
N/A
The cheapest and easiest way (IMO) is to do an internal transfer at the end of this year. https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/InternalProgramTransfer.html ATAR won't be considered - only uni marks; you will need at least a 65 WAM, I would say 75 to be safe (since we don't know how many places are available). They are not hard to achieve in first year.

Alternatively, you can apply via UAC again at the mid year and end of year, but you will need to pay UAC again. Your ATAR will be considered.

rrueda

HSC
Hmm, if I were to do the former, would I still be doing a total of 5.5 years as if I did the dual degree from the start of this year or will I have to make up for what I've missed?
Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The only thing you'll have to catch up on is "first year" Arts. You already did first year Software so you just continue on nicely as if you were just in Software Engineering - and use other spots to fill in Arts subjects.

HSC
Uni Grad
You could try to get a WAM of at least 65, OR, apply through UAC again during August :p

Internal program transfers open during March (but for first year students, they only consider ATAR, correct me if im wrong) and September (they consider WAM only for September transfers).

D94

HSC
N/A
You could try to get a WAM of at least 65, OR, apply through UAC again during August :p

Internal program transfers open during March (but for first year students, they only consider ATAR, correct me if im wrong) and September (they consider WAM only for September transfers).
I'm pretty sure they only consider your WAM. Either way, first year students can't apply for internal transfer for semester 1 since they won't have completed enough UOC.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hmm, if I were to do the former, would I still be doing a total of 5.5 years as if I did the dual degree from the start of this year or will I have to make up for what I've missed?
Thanks.
You wouldn't have missed out on anything. Follow the first year plan here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3648.html BUT don't do that Free Elective - you could do an Arts subject in replace of that or another engineering subject.

So yes, it will still take 5.5 years.

rrueda

HSC

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
The only thing you'll have to catch up on is "first year" Arts. You already did first year Software so you just continue on nicely as if you were just in Software Engineering - and use other spots to fill in Arts subjects.
don't think you would do any arts subjects first year for engo/commerce it's all engo first year

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
don't think you would do any arts subjects first year for engo/commerce it's all engo first year
If that's the case, then proceed as normal - and just take the first year Arts subjects in your second year. Keep doing the Engineering subjects as usual, and use any spare spots to finish your Arts degree.

rrueda

HSC
It states here: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/informat...programs/software-engineering/SENGA13704.html

Students are exempted from General Education requirements (12 UOC).
Students are exempted from Free Elective requirements (12UOC).

So you don't have those free electives in first and second year.
Ah, I see. So I can choose to keep the 12 UOC of free electives from year 1-2 and reject the 12 UOC in year 3 (or the converse).

And is it possible to transfer at the start of sem 2 or will I have to wait to the start of year 2?

Last edited:

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
And is it possible to transfer at the start of sem 2 or will I have to wait to the start of year 2?
Transferring at the start of sem 2 would be equivalent to transferring after sem 1, which is not possible. You have to wait until the start of year 2. (Or rather, until you have completed 36 UoC, which is generally 6 courses.)

D94

HSC
N/A
Ah, I see. So I can choose to keep the 12 UOC of free electives from year 1-2 and reject the 12 UOC in year 3 (or the converse).

1) No. It says "Free Elective requirements" which are only in the first 2 years. The 3rd and 4th year electives are SEng Electives which are different from Free Electives. The best thing to do is to complete an Arts subject in that first year spot relevant to your intended Arts major. If you decide you don't really like doing Arts anymore, that Arts subject would be considered a Free Elective (or a Gen Ed).

2) No. You will need to wait until second year. Info on requirements can be found here: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Eng.html It says you'll need to have undertaken 36 UOC - that's generally 6 subjects (6 UOC each). The typical semester amount is 24 UOC. I guess the only possible way is if you have done HS1917 at High School and you overload in semester 1, but I doubt this will happen, especially for a first year student. You will have to apply at the end of this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)