warning - don't set ur expectations too high (1 Viewer)

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
i just thought i'd advise everyone to not set their expectations extremely high, because there is always that offchance that the markers won't like your major work as much as you, you teacher and your friends think. After all this major work process is extremely personal, and to have someone give a mark your own creativity and imagination is pretty gut wrentching itself, let alone getting back, say a 35 when you might have thought it was worth a 45... just don't take it too personally, because its just your HSC lol (which sounds crazy, but it is just a tini-weenie portion of ur life)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
But on the other hand there is also a possiblity that the markers will like my major work more than me, my teachers and my friends do :D (They better, because otherwise I'm stuffed :p)

C'mon now - lets be positive.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Nick_R said:
i just thought i'd advise everyone to not set their expectations extremely high, because there is always that offchance that the markers won't like your major work as much as you, you teacher and your friends think. After all this major work process is extremely personal, and to have someone give a mark your own creativity and imagination is pretty gut wrentching itself, let alone getting back, say a 35 when you might have thought it was worth a 45... just don't take it too personally, because its just your HSC lol (which sounds crazy, but it is just a tini-weenie portion of ur life)
Oye you, I go to HSPA, like sorta kinda maybenot really around the corner from Kotara High

Hi :)

HSC
N/A
I actually agree that EE2 marking is extremely subjective and it's good for people to be aware of this, however... finding tactful (and appropriate) ways/times to say this is always hard :p

I think that anyone who has come this far should be very proud of yourself. Maybe you'll get a high mark, maybe you'll get a low mark. Either way you have invested so many hours into an extended piece and will have learnt so much from the writing process - what things work for you, what things don't, how to fix certain things up, how YOU work and methods for dealing with pressure/writer's block/dodgy time managment, better understanding of the writing process in general, greater appreciation for certain writers/writing styles/writing philosophies etc :)

THAT is the most valuable piece to take away from EE2, m'dears.

HSC
N/A
I'm an MQ student. We're always positive, so long that we've had at least 4 hours sleep and a decent meal in our tummies :p

MQ - The Simple Life! :p

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
sorry if u didn't like wot i had to say, but I've known too many people who've gone through this course and hav had really high expectations, as hav their teachers and friends (and in fact their works r really good), but yes, at the end of the day its subjective - u gotta remember the story about the girl that wrote about killing a *certain* person (i think u all know who that person was), and the marker didn't think to highly of it so they showed it to their marking supervisor and the person's EE2 was cancelled, all because of subjectivity - this is an extreme example and sorta off what i was getting at, but it is all up to the marker - ppl could get depressed if they get back a 30 when they wanted (and expected) 45-50

HSC
N/A
Nick_R said:
sorry if u didn't like wot i had to say, but I've known too many people who've gone through this course and hav had really high expectations, as hav their teachers and friends (and in fact their works r really good), but yes, at the end of the day its subjective - u gotta remember the story about the girl that wrote about killing a *certain* person (i think u all know who that person was), and the marker didn't think to highly of it so they showed it to their marking supervisor and the person's EE2 was cancelled, all because of subjectivity - this is an extreme example and sorta off what i was getting at, but it is all up to the marker - ppl could get depressed if they get back a 30 when they wanted (and expected) 45-50
Oh, I highly doubt they'd "cancel" the marking of a MW just because of subjectivity. There would have had to be other things involved.

A number of people including myself have been saying right from the start of the year that you don't know what mark you're going to get back, and that the mark you get back is the one you get, end of story (although this is commonsensical). I think that you can spend so much time and effort trying to teach people about subjectivity but ultimately, no matter how "prepared" you are getting a lower mark than you expected is always going to be painful (not to mention that for some people, reality doesn't hit until the actual marks come back). So long as you can just accept it and pick up places where you may have gone a bit skewy, then it's still all good :)

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hey lynn! I go to Hornsby Girls and I remember you telling me how great ee2 was. And how stressed you were about it! I think.
Anyway your advice throughout the threads and forums have been really excellent so thank you! Hope univeristy is treating you well.

HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
Hey lynn! I go to Hornsby Girls and I remember you telling me how great ee2 was. And how stressed you were about it! I think.
Anyway your advice throughout the threads and forums have been really excellent so thank you! Hope univeristy is treating you well.
aww thanks sweetie! Uni life is indeed treating me very well (with 8 contact hours this semester, maybe too well :p), best wishes to you!

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I just printed off my MW, and the RS, and the bibliography and put it away in its folder so it's officially ready.

And I don't think that this is a helpful thread. But I want to post on it anyway because I feel like I've completed this massive challenge.

And I wanted to tell people.

HSC
N/A
Ellie_Belly said:
I just printed off my MW, and the RS, and the bibliography and put it away in its folder so it's officially ready.

And I don't think that this is a helpful thread. But I want to post on it anyway because I feel like I've completed this massive challenge.

And I wanted to tell people.
*cheers*

Whoooooo! Go Ellie_Belly! :D:D

Go off and party now ;) Have an alcoholic drink if you're of the legal age, otherwise... pour yourself some fruit juice and pretend it's alcohol ;)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
glitterfairy said:
*cheers*

Whoooooo! Go Ellie_Belly! :D:D

Go off and party now ;) Have an alcoholic drink if you're of the legal age, otherwise... pour yourself some fruit juice and pretend it's alcohol ;)
Hehe thank you :)

Fruit juice binge ;)

Oh wait I turned 18 a few weeks ago...

J-lee

HSC
LottoX said:
I felt so lonely after handing it in. It felt as if I'd given away a part of my body. So I stayed in the English Staffroom until the bell went. I'm a sad, lonely boy.
i feel exactly the same- when i handed it over to my teacher it took me a few seconds to let go- i am going to miss it i know it sounsd geeky but its true it has become a part of my life

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
brogan77 said:
I think I over-estimate myself.

But then others validate my high estimation. :eek:

I rule, supercoolthebest.
Then that begs the question: If you finished your HSC in 2004, and your over-estimation of yourself has been validated by others, why the heck are you frequenting forums that have absolutely no relevance to your life anymore lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)