Waste of potential? (1 Viewer)

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
I am in year 11 and just recently received an ATAR estimate for my performance so far in the year. It was above a 98 which came as a bit of a surprise really because I did not try as hard as I ought have. We also had to talk to some career advisers about our future prospects and I was thinking about either medicine or doing a combined Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work degree at university. However, this course only requires an ATAR of around 85 at most universities. Although I am very passionate about this course the careers adviser said it was 'a waste of your potential'?

I don't really know what to do now...*headdesk*

Thanks.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am in year 11 and just recently received an ATAR estimate for my performance so far in the year. It was above a 98 which came as a bit of a surprise really because I did not try as hard as I ought have. We also had to talk to some career advisers about our future prospects and I was thinking about either medicine or doing a combined Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work degree at university. However, this course only requires an ATAR of around 85 at most universities. Although I am very passionate about this course the careers adviser said it was 'a waste of your potential'?

I don't really know what to do now...*headdesk*

Thanks.
I was laughed at when I told everyone I wanted to be a teacher, so I know how you feel. It's YOUR future. It's YOUR choice. If it makes you happy until retirement, do it.

HSC
it's not a waste of potential, there are plenty of people who are just as smart or smarter than you, you aren't anything special so just pick the course you enjoy

enoilgam

HSC
Although I am very passionate about this course the careers adviser said it was 'a waste of your potential
I cannot believe a careers advisor would say that. First of all, I think that social work needs and deserves people with significant potential such as yourself. Secondly, you should do the career which you want to do, as you will have to spend most of your life doing it.

If you do a career which you dont want to do, I'd consider this an even greater waste of your potential, even if the career was law or medicine.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Thanks Spiralflex. By the way, I do believe that in order to be a teacher you have to brilliant, as its not about drilling students with things but changing their mindset almost. I think you would be excellent.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Secondly, you should do the career which you want to do, as you will have to spend most of your life doing it.

If you do a career which you dont want to do, I'd consider this an even greater waste of your potential, even if the career was law or medicine.
Thank you very much for this, I'm definitly going to choose what I know I would cherish.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Thanks Spiralflex. By the way, I do believe that in order to be a teacher you have to brilliant, as its not about drilling students with things but changing their mindset almost. I think you would be excellent.
And why do you think I would be excellent? I have no skills. :)

Gigacube

HSC
It seems like you are very passionate about this course & I think that it's better to end up with a job that you enjoy rather than one you don't. A careers advisor is supposed to help you discuss your options not tell you what to do or tell you that it is a waste of your potential.

I would much rather be in a job which pays average but I am happy & passionate about my work rather than a job which pays a lot but I am not as happy or enthusiastic.

Money can't buy happiness.

I don't see it as a waste of your potential as you could use that potential to achieve other things in life.

Do what you love. :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Happiness > Potential

Don't attempt to complete other people's dreams - complete your dream.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
And why do you think I would be excellent? I have no skills. :)
You probably do not remember but you answered another question of mine not too long ago. Your answer was something I was truly grateful for, it actually could be the reason why I'm reaching my potential at school once again and finding contentment.

Woah, I don't want to drop all this emotional passels onto you but yes...
That I would consider as a skill and a rather excellent one at that.

Last edited:

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
It seems like you are very passionate about this course & I think that it's better to end up with a job that you enjoy rather than one you don't. A careers advisor is supposed to help you discuss your options not tell you what to do or tell you that it is a waste of your potential.

I would much rather be in a job which pays average but I am happy & passionate about my work rather than a job which pays a lot but I am not as happy or enthusiastic.

Money can't buy happiness.

I don't see it as a waste of your potential as you could use that potential to achieve other things in life.

Do what you love. :)
Happiness > Potential

Don't attempt to complete other people's dreams - complete your dream.
you can be whoever you want to be young warrior.
I really appreciate this, guys. :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You've only wasted your potiential if you do something that makes you unhappy.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just remember all career advisors made the choice to be career advisors :p

I jest though. They really shouldn't have said something like that to you, but many people will because they somewhat dreamed about a course with a high cut off that they could do but were not enough to. So therefore, they may resent you could get into a high cut off but you don't want to. You should do the course you are most passionate about-not one with an inflated cut off.

Spi, I think you would be a great teacher. I have a great admiration for some of the teachers at my school, teaching was really their first choice, not a "back up" like it is with many, and they are super passionate and good at teaching. I think there's some phrase about it being a noble profession but I quite can't remember the quote.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Just remember all career advisors made the choice to be career advisors :p

I jest though. They really shouldn't have said something like that to you, but many people will because they somewhat dreamed about a course with a high cut off that they could do but were not enough to. So therefore, they may resent you could get into a high cut off but you don't want to. You should do the course you are most passionate about-not one with an inflated cut off.

Spi, I think you would be a great teacher. I have a great admiration for some of the teachers at my school, teaching was really their first choice, not a "back up" like it is with many, and they are super passionate and good at teaching. I think there's some phrase about it being a noble profession but I quite can't remember the quote.
I totally agree with this.

It would really be a waste of potential not to do something you enjoy. :p

RANK 1

HSC
why not just do medicine first, you can do the other two anytime you want after that

enoilgam

HSC
why not just do medicine first, you can do the other two anytime you want after that
That wouldnt be very practical, medical training can take about 10-15 years and is extremely difficult if you dont have a passion for it.

vamperstien

HSC
I would definitly say do the social work, or whatever it is that your passionate about, firstly because you will not be wasting your potential, you will be using it to its fullest advantage by activly helping people, which is what most people say is the the reason they want to do med in the first place, and secondly because just because you get a high atar doesn't mean that you have to do the highest course available with that atar, if its a course you don't want to do you won't be happy, you won't be applying yourself as much, and that actually is a waste of potential

tambam

HSC
Also remember that just because a course has a high atar requirement doesn’t necessarily mean that it is more intellectually challenging or for ‘smarter’ people, it’s just an indicator of how popular the course is.

Since you’re passionate about what you want to do, it’s in no way a ‘waste of potential’, because you’ll obviously succeed in that field and achieve greater things than if you were stuck in a career path which you did not particularly enjoy.

There are SO many people at my school who ‘want’ to do law and med, and sure they’re smart, but at the end of the day, most of them are in it for the money + prestige and nothing else, which I reckon will make for a poor generation of doctors/lawyers who don’t actually care about what they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)