wat is the difference between math and adv maths (1 Viewer)

hup

HSC
N/A
idk whether to do com and science(maffs) or commerce and adv math cause i heard they are the same thing

i was interested in pure maths for the major
but even tho its interesting and all idk if thats useful as a degree combined with commerce and the compulsory honours in the science part puts me off

or should i just ditch maths and try to do a double major of finance and actuarial studies (idk, i heard actl was boring)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Take Adv Maths now. If you don't want to do Honours, you'll be kicked out of the degree anyway. (if at UNSW)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
SCIF is an awesome subject. stop bagging it out broski

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Who cares about WAM. As long as it's above 70, who cares.

I really hope you're not going to be one of those people who whinge and cry about WAMs, because it's pretty pathetic. To be honest. There are a small number of instances where WAM counts (like say, transfers), and one subject is not going to drag your WAM down all that much in the grand scheme.

Plus who cares if the subject lacked organisation. It's about meeting people. Social skills. Making friends. I don't care that I seemingly wasted time and effort into a useless subject, because let me say - it was very refreshing talking to non-Maths or Commerce people, and meeting other Maths/Commerce people who I had seen in lectures but hadn't put a name to.

You're going at this from the wrong perspective, I think. You're still on this HSC high about 'marks marks marks'. stop dat (as effy would say)

HSC
Uni Grad
Who cares about WAM. As long as it's above 70, who cares.

I really hope you're not going to be one of those people who whinge and cry about WAMs, because it's pretty pathetic. To be honest. There are a small number of instances where WAM counts (like say, transfers), and one subject is not going to drag your WAM down all that much in the grand scheme.

Plus who cares if the subject lacked organisation. It's about meeting people. Social skills. Making friends. I don't care that I seemingly wasted time and effort into a useless subject, because let me say - it was very refreshing talking to non-Maths or Commerce people, and meeting other Maths/Commerce people who I had seen in lectures but hadn't put a name to.

You're going at this from the wrong perspective, I think. You're still on this HSC high about 'marks marks marks'. stop dat (as effy would say)
Well, in Actuarial, my WAM will count. So I would actually have to work and make sure my WAM is good.

Then again I guess it's just you, most others didn't actually like it. Even then, I won't be taking SCIF next year because I'm not going to do advanced maths, going to be doing chinese instead.

stop dat? well I remember you were on about marks in first year as well :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, in Actuarial, my WAM will count. So I would actually have to work and make sure my WAM is good.

Then again I guess it's just you, most others didn't actually like it. Even then, I won't be taking SCIF next year because I'm not going to do advanced maths, going to be doing chinese instead.

stop dat? well I remember you were on about marks in first year as well :p
Woah, woah, if you're not even doing any Advanced course - this argument is moot.

And also, I saw the light. Or, I was joking. Or doing both. At the same time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You meet people in SCIF.

Other than that, you do jigsaw puzzles, some extra work (not much), personality tests and team building exercises. Complete bludge, but use it to make friends.

HSC
Uni Grad
What did u guys have to do in SCIF?

(If SCIF is really as bad as the posts suggested.....[sigh]... I'll have to do it (SCIF1111) .... if I make it into med science for main round offers.)
First lesson: what's your favorite color and all that stuff.

one of the assignments required you to write a biography of yourself. There's also SCIF camp, where you get to meet the other people who are taking the advanced stream.

There is no final exam for SCIF.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My WAM dropped from 84.67 to 83.25 because of SCIF, iirc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)