• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

wat r u studyin in art theory? (1 Viewer)

sumthin.simple

HSC
just wondering wat ur all studying in theory?

rite now we're doing case studies focused on looking at gender in art. my teacher said there is so much content to get through so we're just working through booklets. cant say im enjoying it...

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
we're doing a case study called, "the shock of the new"

winicat

HSC
fi_babezy said:
we're doing a case study called, "the shock of the new"
are you watching the video series of same title? that guys voice, ug, sooo annoying!! we watched some of it when we were looking at modernism last year

Bonna

Andoria
HSC
Word art.. Art depicted by words.. some artist and freaks man!

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Our class is currently studying the role of different people in the art world (right now we're working on the Patron). Before we did a whole section on Art Galleries like the Lourve and the Guggenheim and why they were created, what the differences in them were etc.

Also, right now we're doing the Patron's role in Egyptian art, so we're looking at the Pharoah's influence on art in Egypt. Which reminds me....I have an assignment on the Pharaoh's role as a patron due on monday.....should get that started....

sumthin.simple

HSC
we've just started sumthin diiferent a booklet on the history of art movements or sumthing like that. i think we're just doin it so we can get more knowledge bout all the periods and artists n their works n stuff... its good.

wat kinda assessments r u's all doing?

we hav an in class one next wk on the gender in art topic. im so scared cos i hav no idea how im gunna b able 2 do it! and we hav no idea wat the question is gunna b...

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Yeah we've got a booklet on the different art periods from prehistoric times to modern day art. I think it's just so that when we get an exam question that asks us to look at a painting etc. and comment on it we can recognise the time period where it came from and what was happening around that time etc.

The last assessment we got given was one about art galleries as we just completed a topic on that. I'm meant to hand it in soon but have no idea when, it's just so that our teacher knows we're actually learning the things we need to learn.

You'll never really know what the exam question is going to be and that really sucks.I just try and study as much as i possibly can and hope that something i studied will be relevant to the question but all the information we get in art theory, there's no way i can ever study EVERYTHING.

Knowing my luck I'll miss something that'll be in the next exam....Ah wells

nerd_it_up

HSC
art topics!!!!! yay fun fun

In my art class we r learning about abstract art (my teacher is obsessed with it!! which is a good thing cuz so am i) and we r learning bout artists such as Paul Klee, William de Kooning and Jackson Pollock; we r mainly focusing on abstract expressionism. we r also interpretting how at least five paintings by artists that we study fit into the four frames (structural;subjective;cultural and post modern) and that sort of stuff
we went thru a stage when we did australian and the early flemish school of art n let me tell u that is not an interesting subject.
abstract expressionism is awesome because in-class essays r great n all u have 2 do is mention the artists practise and then u can crap on bout emotions etc and ur sweet...or mayb my art teacher is just too much of a fairy 2 really care what we write just as long as we show up for class.........

*ashlea*

HSC
we've done 2 of our 5 case studies so far, one we chose the artist 4 ourselves, as an influencing artist 4 our body of work, and the other we all had 2 do on Michelangelo.. we just finished doing the renaissance (yet again) and we previously did periods of art from prehistoric right up to contemporary, the changing roles of the artist, patron, audience, critic etc over time, the human figure and portraiture through diff. periods, and that Shock of the New unit as well, plus architecture..

winicat

HSC
i'm doing a whole freaking semester on modernism lol if anyone wants any of teh readings for tutes on it, PM me and i'll email you some stuff. just, like, tell me (specifically) what you're doing (ie. photography, surrealism, primitivism, etc) and i'll look it up and send it on out for ya ;)

RE *ashlea*: yeah, we had to do a case study related to our BOW and make a little booklet for our peers on it. we ended up with a copy of everyone's case studies we could use.

i totally can't remember what other studies we did :S

KassieD

HSC
we've been doing a heap of case studies, watching movies n the like on Brett Whiteley, Joy Hester & Frida Kahlo etc its prety gay cos we r watchin mvies n takin note and its hard to keep up with what the movie is saying...

Last edited:

cate_7x

HSC
Im not sure - our teacher hasn't given us much theory :S - yep we are f*cked

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
we're doing case studies on environmental art.. or something... i dont know... maybe artists who do artworks containing the environment or something... i have no idea... i hate our stupid teacher, shes sooo dumb

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
sumthin.simple said:
just wondering wat ur all studying in theory?

rite now we're doing case studies focused on looking at gender in art. my teacher said there is so much content to get through so we're just working through booklets. cant say im enjoying it...
we're studying lots of stuff.

We were doing something about jackson pollock and a few impressionist/expressionist artists - Cezanne. We were starting to look at cubism, mainly Picasso and Braque. Basically we learn anything and everything just to get things covered.

*~bunni~*

HSC
cate_7x said:
Im not sure - our teacher hasn't given us much theory :S - yep we are f*cked
yep im in the same boat, wenever we have it he just puts slides up and is like "what does this say" and ur like and this is helping to write an essay on wat now?! sooo skrewed for the essay section, mite have go back to yr11 work as i cant actually identify wat topics we are studying!!!!!

Leah.Midd

HSC
ey i'd much rather not do theory at all!!!! my teacher has never taught HSC art before and all we r doing is bloody theory...we r all screwed in the BOW area!!!!!!!!

bubu

hehe...

were doing crap all we dont even have theory lessons anymore

amandakest

HSC
seems to be that we are all in the same boat atm.. all we do is theory and prac on occasion which sucks cauz instead of doing my theory assessments like i should be, i have been doing my BOW and now im totally falling behind in theory.
as much as it kills our life and seems completely pointless, it makes up a huuge part of our exams so i guess we gotta deal with it.

im completely stuck with an essay question bout william de kooning.. any ideas !!??!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)