water drinking issue (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
ok. here's the thing.
i moved to melbourne in february.

since arriving here, the drier, less humid, colder climate has wreaked havok on my previously clear, trouble-free skin.

i have what looks like excema on my neck and driness around my nose.

a friend told me to drink lots of water, which will help with clearing up the driness/redness.

4 days ago i started drinking about 3 litres of water a day, which has made me feel better health wise, and the dry skin is looking less red.

HOWEVER, i have begun breaking out in small pimples on my forehead, chin and cheeks, and i hadn't had a pimple in almost a year before that.

what is going on!?!?
is the water making me break out? if so, why the hell!

any help would be appreciated.

HSC
N/A
I doubt it's the water...

question. Assuming that you have a good cleansing/toning/moisturing routine, what kind of moisturiser do you use and is it possible you need a different brand? I can't remember whether my skin has gone so dry that it starts getting pimples, but I do know that it gets very dry and red... maybe something similar is happening to you?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I doubt it's the water...

question. Assuming that you have a good cleansing/toning/moisturing routine, what kind of moisturiser do you use and is it possible you need a different brand? I can't remember whether my skin has gone so dry that it starts getting pimples, but I do know that it gets very dry and red... maybe something similar is happening to you?
i use cetaphyl moisturiser, so i dont think it would be that.
i started using this 'skin perfector', by clinique to combat the driness. maybe it's that...
if so, ironic name: skin perfector :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

HSC
N/A
Hrm... I have to say that I'm not a huge personal fan of clinique products :S

This is weird, because I know there are a number of people who SWEAR by clinique, and it does wonders for them. But the alcohol in the toner I tried from there really, really did not get along with my skin at all (dried it out like there's no tomorrow, I gave up after three days because I was feeling it so badly). I don't know whether this "skin perfector" is a similar product, but there's a possibility it's not the right thing for you. Why not try a week and a half without it, and see whether your skin gets better?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Hrm... I have to say that I'm not a huge personal fan of clinique products :S

This is weird, because I know there are a number of people who SWEAR by clinique, and it does wonders for them. But the alcohol in the toner I tried from there really, really did not get along with my skin at all (dried it out like there's no tomorrow, I gave up after three days because I was feeling it so badly). I don't know whether this "skin perfector" is a similar product, but there's a possibility it's not the right thing for you. Why not try a week and a half without it, and see whether your skin gets better?
yeah i've stopped using it, because it was a sample and it ran out.

but i was thinking, there isnt really anything else that would be causing the trouble. is it possible that the toxins in my body are coming out my skin because of all this water i've been drinking?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
dammit, i thought this thread was about people who have issues with drinking too much water. like me. its a serious problem. i cannot stop. i cant help with your skin probs, sorry. but my skins pretty good. probably because of the water i drink. maybe you should increase your intake.

are you under more stress since you moved? maybe thats whats causing the break outs

HSC
N/A
I don't really know :S It doesn't seem to logically work out though, pimples are a lot more about the body trying to get rid of excess sebum? I think... lol.

I've always thought pimples are a hormonal thing... as much as people say water and vegetables help clear them up, I'm prepared to swear that it's just an old wive's tale passed on through the years for use by parents to get their kids to eat more healthily :p

Water and vegetables never helped my skin when it wants to show a pimple. However... a good cleansing routine since my hormones settled down (18 or so) seems to do a very good job of keeping it under control!

The other alternative is that you could be going through some sort of hormonal change, and your skin is like "whoo! One last pimple time and then it's all over!" :p but of course I have no idea... lol. Thought about seeing a dermatologist?

HSC
N/A
Shell said:
are you under more stress since you moved? maybe thats whats causing the break outs
That's a really good reason I hadn't considered yet...!

Skeeta

HSC
it could be the water flushing the impurities out of your system.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Skeeta said:
it could be the water flushing the impurities out of your system.
see that's what i thought but the other people in the thread dont seem to agree.

i think i will see a dermatologist as soon as i can get a healthcare card. i also have to see a dentist (toothache) and a podiatrist (corns) and i think my ear is infected...
(oh my god, i am falling to bits!)

i guess it might be stress, but i never had trouble with this before, and i've been under stress before.

maybe i'm allergic to something. i just thought of that.

well, i think i should keep drinking the water because its helping with the excema, but a friend of mine who had excema told me that the only thing that clears it up is cortezone cream, which is a steroid i think and i dont know about that...

Always

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i started using this 'skin perfector', by clinique to combat the driness. maybe it's that...
if so, ironic name: skin perfector :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
It's probably the Clinique. When I stopped using Estee Lauder's Idealist (which is basically a skin perfector) I also got weird bumps on my forehead. Apparently it was because of the heavy build-up of silicon, which is pore clogging. Check the ingredients of your Clinique if you still have it.

Lesson learnt: never mess around with 'cosmetic' skincare.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Always said:
It's probably the Clinique. When I stopped using Estee Lauder's Idealist (which is basically a skin perfector) I also got weird bumps on my forehead. Apparently it was because of the heavy build-up of silicon, which is pore clogging. Check the ingredients of your Clinique if you still have it.

Lesson learnt: never mess around with 'cosmetic' skincare.
oh really? i'll check online, makeupalley.com should have it.

yeah, i've actually heard that using products too rich for you can cause milia, but i never knew it could make you break out too.

good to know.

Always

HSC
AlleyCat said:
oh really? i'll check online, makeupalley.com should have it.

yeah, i've actually heard that using products too rich for you can cause milia, but i never knew it could make you break out too.

good to know.
Perhaps your skin perfector and Estee Lauder's Idealist aren't so similar after all. Idealist's texture is very similar to that of a primer, not rich at all. I don't think the problem lies in the richness of the product, but rather the ingredients. Idealist contains a heavy concentration of silicones, which do not get absorbed into the skin but sit on the surface, clogging pores.

I'm pretty wary of 'skin perfecting' products, most of the time I think they do more harm than good.

I don't know, maybe your skin condition has nothing to do with a product, it could be something completely different. Nevertheless, it will most likely go away sooner than you think and you will have your perfect skin back once again.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
are the 'pimples' definitely pimples?
surely the water shouldn't be doing anything. so the only other difference is your move. itwo possiblities are stress or dryness.

dry skin can come out red and flaky, which i guess might be like eczema and it can also come out with red dots like 'pimples'

similarly, obviously stress can cause pimples (real ones) and it can also cause red flaky skin.

i think your GP might be able to help if you don't want to go to the trouble of getting a referral and then going to a dermatologist.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i think i will see a dermatologist as soon as i can get a healthcare card. i also have to see a dentist (toothache) and a podiatrist (corns) and i think my ear is infected...
(oh my god, i am falling to bits!)

i guess it might be stress, but i never had trouble with this before, and i've been under stress before.

maybe i'm allergic to something. i just thought of that.

well, i think i should keep drinking the water because its helping with the excema, but a friend of mine who had excema told me that the only thing that clears it up is cortezone cream, which is a steroid i think and i dont know about that...
Stress + Run Down
Allergy

Eczema can be associated with stress.. affecting hormones..

the weather too doesnt help..

ummm.. cortisone cream doesnt always work and it can cause some undesirable effects lik certain skin blemishs cos of the mech of corticosteroids

mabbe the toothache is teeth-grind... and corns are from walking too much in poor fitting shoes.. + ear infection

do u feel run-down and stressed or constantly tired?
cos u sound lik u are..

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
how long have you been using cetaphil for?????

and id say that the water could be causing the breakout because it's clearing your skin up of all the impurities. That tends to happen to me when summer comes around and i up my water intake or when i start frequenting the gym more.

And for the excema, if you are worried about using the cortisone cream (because the stronger ones are prescription only- well the one i used to get was) then get a cream (the one i have is called dermaid) and its only like 1% hydrocortisone... i think you can get slightly stronger over the counter too. I used to use the prescription only one but if you use it too much it thins out your skin and when it died down as i got older and id only get it in isolated areas every now and then they didnt want to give it to me anymore and recommended this one. So now i put that on as soon as i start getting slightly itchy/dry and so it stops it from developing and actually becoming a problem area.

Last edited:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
*~Dazed~* said:
and id say that the water could be causing the breakout because it's clearing your skin up of all the impurities. That tends to happen to me when summer comes around and i up my water intake or when i start frequenting the gym more.
clearing up impurities would mean that you're skin (and body) are getting better, not worse. upping water intake shouldnt do anything bad to your skin (and i doubt it'd do any harm for eczema/dry skin).

the reason you'd get more pimples, as i highlighted, is caus you sweat heaps when you do heavy excersise (eg. gym) because you dont always get all the sweat off your skin (unless you have a shower, wash your face, etc straight away, ie. AT the gym)

alley: just go to a gp or dermo. dont bother trying to fix it yourself, it generally takes ages to find the perfect product for your skin so you end up doing more harm than good (not to mention wasting lots of money on products that dont work for you)

Last edited:

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
Shell said:
dammit, i thought this thread was about people who have issues with drinking too much water. like me. its a serious problem. i cannot stop. i cant help with your skin probs, sorry. but my skins pretty good. probably because of the water i drink. maybe you should increase your intake.

actually i learnt this at lectures but people are capable of being addicted to water...like i mean drinking 15-25litres

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Stress + Run Down
Allergy

Eczema can be associated with stress.. affecting hormones..

the weather too doesnt help..

ummm.. cortisone cream doesnt always work and it can cause some undesirable effects lik certain skin blemishs cos of the mech of corticosteroids

mabbe the toothache is teeth-grind... and corns are from walking too much in poor fitting shoes.. + ear infection

do u feel run-down and stressed or constantly tired?
cos u sound lik u are..
yeah, i am pretty stressed.
i was sick with the flu for 2 weeks, through which time i didnt go to uni or work, so not only do i have to catch up on all my uni work, and assessments that i got extensions for, but i am also unbelievably poor...

i've also started wearing foundation during the day which is probably compounding the problem, but i have to because i have to interview all these people around local parliaments for uni (doing journo) and i want to make a good impression i.e not bad skin...

but i've kept drinking the water and, while my skin hasnt improved, my earache has gone and i dont feel so run-down.

so i guess its good after all.

i'm getting my healthcare card on thursday, so ill go to the gp then.

thanks buddies!
*group hug*

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
heya-
dermatologists arent really that helpful in treating skin conditions like excema- the only things they prescribe for it are steroid treatments and cortisone creams depending on the severity, which is a really bad idea. it thins your skin, and your skin eventually becomes resistant leading to worse excema, as well as reduced effectiveness of any other treatments you might decide to try in the future. You need to pinpoint the cause of the problem and change or remove whatevers causing. About the excema thing though, there a re a heap of products around from health food shops and such which don't have cortisone, a really good one is chickweed oil. Also, goat soap is good in treating sensitive skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)