water open ended investigation help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
i need help on some ideas here. Our task is to compare the effects of antifreeze (the stuff that you put cars to prevent the engine from freezing) and salt on water.

well so far i figured (this is generalised, i'm thinking of the op of my head right now) i would freeze a tray of ice cubes and then i would put a certain amount of salt on one and leave for a certain amount of time see how much melt. But then i wouldn't know how to do the antifreeze bit.. How would you get anti freeze.

We're meant to do the experiment of this in class and reasearch and result and other stuff at home. so hm...

any help would be greatly appreciated!
please.:)

Last edited:

twilight1412

HSC
have you considered a test involving the boiling points?
water = ice at troom temperature

so basically get 3 beakers one with salt, one with anitfreeze/antiboil (its the same thing lah), and the last just plain water.

3 thermometers and just measure the boiling points of each

note: you will have a difference of each

as for freezing instead of boiling stick it in the freezer this time and vary the temperature they will also freeze at different temps

this info has been brought to you by <=^.^=>

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
but it's the effect of anti-freeze and salt on ice... whilst your method does prove the point to a certain degree, i believe you still should just use ice...

HSC
twilight1412, yeah your method sounds good except as xiao1985 said I think i will have to use the ice somehow!
and yeah all the equipments are supplied for us inc. antifreeze! hmm

thanks so far btw.

EDIT: Sorryyyy it's not necessarily ice but WATER you know life the module water!

Last edited:
HSC
sorry this maybe be double posting, but... For my task so far, I only found two methods of investigating it.

one way was to mix antifreeze + water in a small beaker, salt + water in small beaker and one normal in a small beaker whihc are put into ice baths in large beakers and then you would have to measure the temperature over a certain period of time until ice starst to form in the beaker with only water as this was the freezing point!

second way was to prepare same mistures as above abut you freeze them and then you would slowly heat it afterwards. You would continusoly measure the temperature of the ice (of the normal water) melts!

is there any other way because most people in the class are doing the same thing!!
please need help!

= D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
actually, in first instance, even normal water won't freeze (this comes from first hand experience). The temperature will drop to around 0-5 C, but won't actually freeze... you can do this however:

beaker1) anti-freeze + water + 2 ice cubes

beaker2) salt + water + 2 ice cubes

beaker3) water + 2 ice cubes

and stir them constantly and record their temperature. Beaker 1 and beaker 2 should be both sub zero, but beaker3 should be between 0-5C... you'd also expect beaker 1 to go lower than beaker 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)