Watson captain for sure (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
Did anyone see the ODI tonight. Watson was ripping it. Good effort by the team, one of the largest run chases in history of MCG and the pitch was quite difficult to bat 2nd on. But Watson needs to be the next captain on how he improving each innings.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Watson needs to concentrate on his bowling and batting and not have to deal with the other 10 players on the team =P

But I saw his innings... 161 not out. In an ODI. It's... fascinating really. Hell, I think that's the highest score I've ever seen (in my short cricket watching career so far)... from an Australian batsman in an ODI.

But I am very annoyed with Clarke. Seriously, he was blocking ball after ball and not scoring runs in the middle session and his strike rate dropped below 50 at one point. Completely unacceptable in an ODI format. Why is he captain again?

I agree in concept - get Clarke out, and perhaps replace him with Cameron White. I believe he was the vice captain for this game and actually scored quick needed runs in the end session!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Too much responsibility. Opening batsman, leading bowler AND captain. He's bound to screw up with all that.

twistedrebel

HSC
actually white would make a captain. He has had experience at state level for 6 years. shadowdude to be fair the period where clarke was batting was the most difficult. Old ball, and all. Australia only started scoring in the 35th (bar the 33rd when watson went after trott) when the reconditioned ball was bought in, making hitting easier.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I reckon White should be captain. Like twistedrebel said, he's got tons of experience and given though when Clarke was batting through a difficult period, he still look out of sorts with the English bowlers and I reckon it's best for him to find back form domestically. There are plenty of capable domestic batters ready to take his place comfortably.

Like kaz1 said, he'd have too much responsibility if he became captain, plus I never saw Watson as being captain material.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
watson's choked too many times and left the job too early to be captain; amazing innings last night though

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Batting may have been difficult but still, he should be at least trying to hit the ball and not blocking most of them...

Then again, I'm a fan - not a player... (yet).

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Batting may have been difficult but still, he should be at least trying to hit the ball and not blocking most of them...

huh? his strike rate was right up there. Don't know what else you wanted

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

LOL dude, he had like 103 strike rate. Also, don't think he's captain material; we all know what happened when they tried to make tendulkar captain, lol! I think white is a much more natural leader after clarke.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
huh? his strike rate was right up there. Don't know what else you wanted
LOL dude, he had like 103 strike rate. Also, don't think he's captain material; we all know what happened when they tried to make tendulkar captain, lol! I think white is a much more natural leader after clarke.
He was referring to Michael Clarke who had an epic strike rate 63.15.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
He was referring to Michael Clarke who had an epic strike rate 63.15.
That's true, but we have to keep in mind that he was perhaps trying to play a support role for the man down at the other end..? But yes, even for a support role, especially when chasing 295, the SR should be well upto 90, to take pressure off watson if nothing else.

deterministic

HSC
Watson played an awesome anchor role, but M Hussey's little cameo was the one that really kicked started the chase and gave Aus the chance to win.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That's true, but we have to keep in mind that he was perhaps trying to play a support role for the man down at the other end..? But yes, even for a support role, especially when chasing 295, the SR should be well upto 90, to take pressure off watson if nothing else.
He was crap support lol. He didn't rotate the strike often enough and left plenty pressure on Watson to swat boundaries to keep up with the R/R.

Watson played an awesome anchor role, but M Hussey's little cameo was the one that really kicked started the chase and gave Aus the chance to win.
Mike Hussey's "top-edge" for six and straight drive for four off Bresnan. (Y)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
He was crap support lol. He didn't rotate the strike often enough and left plenty pressure on Watson to swat boundaries to keep up with the R/R.
That's why I said he was 'trying' to play a support role =P. Clarke is nowhere near the snappy, dynamic, single-a-ball player he once was.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
White for ODI captain as well as T20, move Watson down the order. Watson's expected to do too much and I think that's why he's failing. His innings last night was amazing though.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If Watto bats down the order, who do you guys want to see open?

twistedrebel

HSC
Marsh is a decent alternative, Watson should be player lower down the order, but he is doing a god dam good job at opening, I would just leave him their.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep Watson where he is, bring in marsh, drop haddin to 7 steve smith to 8, bowlers should be lee, johnson and mckay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)