Ways of getting Commerce at UNSW?! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am currently in Year 12 and I am doing my HSC this year. I am planning to do Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW and I may combine it with Bachelor of Economics. I need an ATAR of 95.65 to get in this course. I don't think I will be able to get that so I want to know what alternatives I have :( . I am determined to go to UNSW and I really want to minimize the time that I may have to spend doing something that is not relevant to the course I want do. I have to give my preferences for the courses I want to do at university now, so could you please suggest something for me?

I heard there are other courses I can do at UNSW and than change to Commerce, Which courses are these? How does it work? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce?

Also, if I get into commerce at some other university and want to change to UNSW, How can I do it? And after how many semesters can I change to Commerce at UNSW?

In which of these options do I have a higher chance of getting into Commerce at UNSW?

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Just do BEco first year at unsw and transfer after a credit~ average (same first year courses as commerce)

Lavenderpup

HSC
They're a bit different as of next year ^ Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Economics in 2010 | Undergraduate | Future Students | Australian School of Business | UNSW, otherwise, unless you do a major in economics [although since you want to pick up B. Ec that shouldn't be an issue], you might use up more credit points than your free electives allow.

I suggest you do well in the subjects that give you bonus hsc points [maths/english band 5/6] or apply for EAS if you can. You could always change your preferences once your ATAR comes out.

HSC
Hi guys

Please could you read the following and suggest which one is better:

Scenario 1:
I get into Economics(B Arts) at UNSW in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

Scenario 2:
I get into B Commerce at Macquarie University in the first year and have a Distinction Average for the first 2 semesters and then I apply through the UAC to change to B Commerce at UNSW.

* In which one of these will I have a higher chance of getting into B Commerce at UNSW?
* In which one of these will I have more transfer credits so that my B Commerce course becomes shorter?

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
A new scheme have started for UNSW internal transfers that pretty much guarantees transfer given if you get above the weighted average in your first year. However if you're in a different university, there's no dead set line, and it very much will depend on demand and supply.

---------------------------------
Senario 1:
The exact marks you will need to get are a 75 WAM (a distinction average) for transfers to B. Commerce (with any other degree combination offered except law and international studies) and B. Economics/Arts, or a 70 WAM for B. Economics (straight economics only), after having completed at least 36 (usually 6 subjects, a full load per semester is 4 subjects) units of credit at UNSW.

Also if you're talking about the economics major under Bachelor of Arts, you will only be able to do 2 economics subjects (1 per semester) during your first year (ECON1101 and ECON1102) where as the other commerce/economics students would have done their other cores in their first year. This means that given if you do transfer after your first year (unless you're looking for Commerce/Arts or Economics/Arts), you will need to catch up on more subjects later and possibly extend your degree or do summer courses (which you have to pay... upfront? Correct me if I'm wrong though...) in order to finish your degree in time. But of course if you're doing it combined with arts, then it's just a few electives you've used... So chose wisely (I admit I'm a little biased towards the combined arts, but it's true lol...)...

But by this way you are guaranteed a spot as long as you apply for this internal transfer and has high enough WAM for it.

Senario 2:
Now this has it's pros too. You should be able to transfer all, if not most of your credits to UNSW given if your transfer was successful. However because of this new "internal transfer" thing they just started at UNSW, it's likely that many people will try to get into B. Commerce or what not through that way, as it has a guaranteed entry... As long as you have that distinction average.

This means people trying to transfer in from other universities will have less of a chance...
So yea...

This all depends on which do you want more? (Or don't mind more)...
In conclusion (given if you do maintain the distinction average), if you don't mind extending your degree for one extra semester or so and have your hecs a little higher than others (unless you're combining it with arts) then UNSW. If time and money is a huge problem for you, and you're confident that you will get not JUST a distinction average (but possibly a slight higher average), and think it's worth the gamble, then go for Macquarie.

Plus, I don't think Macquarie's a bad university at all... =|

Last edited:

Dx_God

HSC
wait, did u know unsw offers hsc plus program? u can basically reduce the bench mark of 95.65 atar to 90.65 atar so its not tat high (go check on the unsw's web for more details). if you still don't get in then your only option left is transfer and its better to just go into unsw doing something really crap than going to some other uni doing something better if you are determined to do commerce at unsw. and i heard tat there's like a major clash between unsw and usyd so if you really want to go unsw for commerce then avoid going to usyd lol (not sure if this is true but meh, could be true)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)