Ways Of Living (1 Viewer)

McLovin*12

HSC
i dont know what texts im suppose to use for ways of living?

i dont know what ways of living means!! help!!

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
Whoa mate you gotta be kidding!
the HSC exam starts VERY soon and you don't know "Ways of Living" module!
sorry to seem mean but you have to be a little bit more prepared...

What did you study in class for "Ways of Living"???
did you watch Seachange by Deb Cox because that's what i did
and my related text is Edward Scissorhands directed by Tim Burton.

i don't know how i can help because i don't know what you were taught during school. "Ways of Living" is basically how people live for example someone who lives in the city vs someone who lives in the country. The city life is hectic and the country life is relaxed. With my related text is goes from living alone to then living in family around people in a community.

i don't know if this helps

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
dumbdumbz said:
can u post up some notes on edward scissorhands?
thanks
Umm yeah sure...
This is a syopsis of the movie...

When local Avon seller Peg Boggs fails to make any profits in her neighborhood, she, on the strength of a whim, visits a medieval mansion located on a hill above the town. She discovers an elaborate topiary garden, a derelict interior, and Edward, who is an artificial man created by an eccentric inventor. He died while trying to place a long-delayed pair of hands on his creation, leaving him with many long, metal, scissor-like blades instead. Touched by Edward's loneliness, Peg brings him home to her family; Edward thus must adjust to life in the suburbs.

He falls in love with Peg's teenage daughter Kim, who is frightened by Edward at first, but grows to love him through successive acts of compassion on her part. Kim's conformist neighbours, while initially thrilled at his skills at hedge clipping and haircutting, grow to distrust Edward because of his dangerous condition. Two of these, a Christian fanatic called Esmeralda and Kim's thuggish sweetheart Jim, dislike him from the start. Eventually, Jim attempts to implicate Edward in theft; Edward is arrested, but is released when a psychological examination reveals that his isolation had allowed him to live without a traditional sense of ethics.

Peg's husband Bill Boggs asks Edward about what to do if he finds a briefcase full of money. Edward, not thinking about where the money came or realising it might have an owner, selflessly declares that he would give all of the money to loved ones. Later, neighbour Joyce suggests that Edward open a haircutting salon with her; when examining a proposed site, she attempts to seduce him. Edward, partly confused, flees the room.

Around Christmas time, Edward is almost totally ostracised by everyone except for the Boggs family. This is due to a failed robbery attempt by Kim's boyfriend on his own family to gain insurance money. He uses Edward, who can easily unlock doors to gain entrance but the alarm is set off and Edward is abandoned to face the police. This capture turns the neighbourhood against him, along with Joyce's lies of Edward's attempted rape and Esmerelda's preachings. While the family decorates the house for the holidays, Edward uses his blades to carve an angel out of a large block of ice. The ice shavings fall to the ground, creating an effect of snow, which was unknown in the area before. Kim comes outside to dance in it, creating a joyful experience for herself. Jim calls her: at this, both she and Edward turn around suddenly. Edward's hand accidentally cuts Kim's hand. Jim sees this and tries to use this as an excuse to turn the town against Edward. He succeeds in this to a large extent; Edward is hunted back to his creator's mansion, where the police deceive the mob following him into assuming that he is dead.

Kim, refusing to believe this, or anything bad, of Edward, hastens to enter the mansion. There, she reunites with Edward. Jim follows them and attempts to kill his rival. Though beaten initially, Edward reacts to Jim's ill-treatment and beating of Kim by pushing him violently through the old mansion window. Edward's fingers stab Jim to the heart, killing him. Kim kisses Edward, then goes downstairs and tells the townspeople that Jim and Edward killed each other. To "prove" this, she holds up a scissored implement which she has taken from the late inventor's laboratory.

The film begins and ends with an elderly Kim telling her granddaughter the story of her relationship with Edward Scissorhands. When the granddaughter asks Kim how she knows that Edward is still alive in the castle, Kim answers to this effect; Before Edward came, snow never fell on the valley, whereas after he left, it fell. Kim attributes the snow to Edward and remarks that she still dances in it. Subsequently, we see Edward, who has not aged at all, creating an ice sculpture in the attic of his mansion. He is surrounded by other ice sculptures that he has created, including one of a young girl dancing, much like Kim had done. As Edward works, the flurry of ice shavings is thrown, presumably by Edward himself, onto the valley and onto the town below. This proves Kim's assumption that Edward's work is the source of the snowfall. The film ends with a flashback of a young Kim joyfully twirling in the snowflakes and snow pouring from the mansions broken windows.

Edward had lived alone for so many years then to be thrust into a populated suburban community changes his "way of living". In the film there are clear aspects of how Edward's previous "way of living" has impacted him. While in the Peg Bogg's car on the drive to her house, Edward is incredibly excited at children running around and playing as he had never seen this before. In Peg's house he jumps at the sound of the telephone ringing and he marvels at the waving and wobbling of Kim's water-bed, these would be a normal occurrence for us. His lonely way of living causes him to act differently when put into a social environment among people. From his new way of living he learns new emotions such as love, happiness and anger however he also learns that he is meant to be alone...

If you plan to use this as a related text you should watch the movie to further your understanding as notes will not be enough...

Hope this helps
Keep at it :read:
xx

dumbdumbz

Executive Member
HSC
thanks would u have any other ideas on related texts that we could use for this module?

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
umm no sorry all my other suggestions are movies
and it may not be a good idea to do two movies lol
but these are movies i thought of: (maybe you know these movies more than Edward Scissorhands)
  • Unleashed
  • The Matrix
i'm sorry i can't think of anything else
my brain is mush now lol :lol:

xx

dumbdumbz

Executive Member
HSC
lol narh its all good :)
its just that i dont have enough notes on it. ive watched it so many times but yer..
do u mean unleashed .jet li??

McLovin*12

HSC
i studied Kominos poems... and im just really lost cause we studied like 7 poems and have no idea what im suppose to relate them to?

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
yeah Jet Li-Unleashed
you know from being treated as a dog
then being in a home and then eventually that collar is taken off etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)