Ways to get a job. (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
I am working at Target, have been for a little while and am desperate to get out, but have had no luck whatsoever in getting another job during University. I can't do hospitality - wouldn't enjoy it and I play soccer on Sundays so it is a no go. I hate retail as well, but kinda ceept I am going to have to do it for a couple of years.

What I want to know are what kind of places tend to hire University students and how can I get a nother job when the dropping resumes around simply isn't working and hasn't been for over a year. Just, nothing seems to come up and I am getting depressed about it as well as taking a huge confidence battering as I am simply VERY unhappy at Target. I can not stand the way I am treated and I don't really enjoy being a checkout operater. I seems like everywhere that puts up a sign these days has 'must be availible all hours monday and fridya' to weed out students at once.

Any suggestions?

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
Did you ever end up complaining about target or not...? IF it was so painfully bad as you described in another one of your posts, and considering the fact that it is so hard for you to find work at the moment, you should really think about what I said in the other post...You never know things may get better...

Otherwise, you just gotta keep doing what you're doing, and be willing to compromise... if that means going from part time job to a casual job- then do it... Look at your local newspapers, and go to job websites and search for your suburb as the key word in the search box- and see if anything comes up

*Minka*

HSC
There really is not much I can do. I know it will sound silly to some people. but I just want to get out and move on from it without a huge fuss. I am just not liked there since I am now a student and therefore a 'difficult' employee, particuarly bad with the new supervisior. I know someone else complained and things got much worse, so for now, I just want out ASAP.

I am casual now, don't know if part time will benefit me since they tend to be more 32-35 hours per week and I can't do that many between soccer, dance and University. I am probably going to throw in dancing soon, but Uni is more important right now.

klh

HSC
better taht than nothing..I was in unemployment hell, and Im sure many feel th same way about not being able to find a job, it was either your schedule/timetabling or your not experienced enough. I dont understand why they dont accept volunteering as legitimate..btu anyway, it dpends on what search criteria you put in on seek or careerone..search like "uni student" or soemthing, usually youll et marketing/sales/telemarketing jobs or labour type jobs. Also it maynot the best season to search for jobs? its grad recruitment season now as im constantly reminded. Soem retail jobs are againt older students, e.g. Macca's though ive given up on them long ago.
really, casual jobs are the go unless your lucky to get good timtables and can study effectively with little hours...its hard to cope fo me with 3 assignments due this week.

Just send all resumes and everywhere and hope...or go to like centrelinks job network, get a job id first and you can use the job network offices to search for local jobs and get career help...or your uni careers office, dont htey have a careers website advertising positions? try them perhaps?

*Minka*

HSC
Well I have been trying to get something new for a long time and while I understand it sucks to have no job, I hate the whole 'well, it is a job so shut up' arugement. (Not saying you are saying it, just saying). Just because I have a job doesn't mean I am happy or treated with some respect there.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Have you thought about transferring to a different CML brand?

It may (or may not, I don't really know) be easier than getting a completely new job. Even though a lot of the same issues will still exist, a change is as good as a holiday, and it may be just enough to see you through til you can get a completely new job.

*Minka*

HSC
Registers sadly. Can't change to any other department, tried to switch over to Myer but they had no vacancies. Ugh.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Well there's still BiLo, Coles, Officeworks, Liquorland, etc... all part of CML. Perhaps you could try transferring into some of those as well.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
If you live near Haberfield/Concord/Drummoyne(I think?) and you have your rsa, there's *heaps* of positions being advertised cos CML is opening a new liquor brand or something.

*Minka*

HSC
Part of the thing is that I don't want to be a checkout chick anymore. I can handle something like I did at Diva - a bit of the checkout but not as shitty, but as if they will give me my job back. MThe manager picked out her favourites and I wasn't one of them as I do sport. Sigh.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
most uni's have a place on their website where employers can post job opportunities for students (or their union does it). so that would be a good thing to check out, they'll be willing to mould to your timetable.

a lot of part-time ads say that they want you to work 25+ hours, but i dont think that they actually keep to this. the ad for my current job said 25 hours, monday-friday, but when i was hired they just asked when was free and rostered around me. so i only work 10-11 hours a week.

*Minka*

HSC
Already checked the university website and found nothing.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
if you are ruling out hospitality, that immediately slashes your opportunities right away. there are a lot more positions in that area

*Minka*

HSC
The thing with hospitality is that there are a lot of late Saturday nights and Sundays which I would not be able to do with Soccer. I have been on various state/city/school representative teams so it is a big deal for me. Working a couple of shifts durihng the week, or possibly on Saturday during day time would be msot sutiable because I am not really ready to quit Soccer just because I have finished school.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Could you maybe get off the registers and go on the floor? That way you might end up with a new supervisor. I wouldnt do registers for the wolrd =p You could try Kmart? Ive been there for 3 years and still enjoy it. Umm, also if you are into sports you could try a sports store?

I wouldnt advise part time, as you wont have as much flexiblity. Also, most part-timers work during the day, in which case youll be at uni, so that doesnt really work.

If it is the formality of the hospo industry you dont like, you could just try a cafe. That way you wont have night work. You could also try one of the places in a food court, like henny penny or muffin break...whatever you have there.

Good luck anyway =)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
What about tutoring primary kids on weekdays?
One of my friends made a flier and dropped it into mailboxes in the streets around her, she does tutoring like everyday now.
My manager at work is so pissed off that we havent ever got staff to work Saturdays and Sundays (particularly Sat night) so she is hiring like 6 new people who specifically have to be available all weekend.. I think not working weekends and being at uni really limits your options.

*Minka*

HSC
Saturday's are fine, it is just the Sundays that are bad for me with soccer, praticuarly because I am going to states and University games barring injury. I might also be going to America next year to do college ona full ride soccer scholarship, so it is kinda important for me at this point to keep at the practise and match practise. The main issue now where I work is that I kinda get this inkling feeling that one of the supervisors doesn't like me because I am Serbian/Croatian. I know it sounds stupid and I can't prove it, but that gut feeling I get is almost never wrong on that matter.

Where do you work?

Last edited:

SqUiMpY

HSC
i got made redundant by lincraft :( and am finding it hard to find a job around tafe ive applied everywhere, including fast foods but my area is limited for work and i dont get my license for another 2 months :( just gotta hang in there. . .ur not the onli one in this position keep trying something will turn up

Skeeta

HSC
*Minka* said:
Saturday's are fine, it is just the Sundays that are bad for me with soccer, praticuarly because I am going to states and University games barring injury. I might also be going to America next year to do college ona full ride soccer scholarship, so it is kinda important for me at this point to keep at the practise and match practise. The main issue now where I work is that I kinda get this inkling feeling that one of the supervisors doesn't like me because I am Serbian/Croatian. I know it sounds stupid and I can't prove it, but that gut feeling I get is almost never wrong on that matter.

Where do you work?
Not all hospitality places require saturday AND sunday work. Cafes in shopping centres arent open late hours (except thursday night), and if you can work a day during the week plus saturday most places will consider you because they generally put the youngest people on sundays anyway

You are really limiting your choices by being picky ( i know you said not to say it!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)